Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HA-HA!!! M4D JDM power...

WJM

So...after waiting and waiting....aquiring parts here and there...over there...over here....some there....etc etc...

I have a complete EJ257 (USDM Spec) Longblock assembly.

Hm....I wonder...what should I do with it?

AEM to control it and the AVCS: Check

16G Turbo for up to 340 AWHP/420 AWTQ: Check

SMC Water/Methanol Injection Kit: Check

Odds and ends to run the engine: Check

340/420 at the wheels with Insta-BOOST in an AWD chassis that weighs in at 2600 lbs fully loaded with all fluids=t3h f4stAr.

Keep in mind that I've not given up on the EA82 yet....I'm still working on it, fabbing up the new intake manifold, TBE, and doing the wiring for the AEM...along with finding the $ for tires (225/45/15's on the 15x8 Superlites), installing goodie-goodie LSD's...brakes, etc....

But if the EA82T cant make ATLEAST 240/240 at the wheels reliably after I'm done...the EJ257 will go in....and will surely break every gear in the RX's transmission. I guess it'll be PPG 1st thru 5th with a dogbox at that time.:burnout:

uuuuh then that thing is going to be teh Sexors :banana::banana::banana:

the built ea82T sounds fun but good lord, ultimate STI power in an ultralight chassis? I want to seee and keep us updated on how soon ull bend that thing from the power :grin::headbang::burnout:

Uhhh ya!!! That is gonna be a rocket ship either way.:slobber::headbang: I hope you have a neck brace!;)

Umm, you have read your Corky Bell right? water injection is for people who don't tune right, and aren't smart enough to get rid of detonation.

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT, wrong. Welcome to the new age of Engine Control Sytems.

The WRC teams know how to tune, yet they ALL use water injection.

But when you have intake air temps of over 300* F, even with a VERY efficient intercooler....there HAS to be a way to control that and/or bring it down...

A mist of water before the entry into the combustion chamber=MUCH cooler intake charge.

Methanol injection is 2 fold:

1: It absorbs A TON more heat energy than water due to its alchohol properties, and brings the intake charge down approx 100 to 150 F.

2: It also COMBUSTS. Say you've got an STi with a stock turbo and tuned to 'stage 2'...so you're making about 280/330 to the wheels....use the M15 nozzle and spray meth, tune for it and you end up around 340/420 at the wheels.

I cannot spray the Meth at SCCA events or most other Time Trial classes...but water injection is allowed. Water injection will cool the intake charge around 90* F on average, and with tuning, it will add more power along with an added safety margin.

I want a fast, safe and reliable setup. Cost is not an object in this build.

A Solo-1 (now Time Trials) Legal bolt in Rollbar.

Foggers are ENTIRELY illegal in all Solo classes and time trials, plus useless at track speeds. Really, its only good while stopped, to prevent heat soak.

Spraying water or meth works the entire spray duration (where and whenever you want it and for however long) until you run out of water or meth.

Its not a gamble. Tuners who know what they are doing with the addition of water and/or meth mean buisness, and its worth every bit.

The ONLY gamble you take with the injection is the system. Use cheap parts, reliability goes down. Use the best and you get 0.01% failure rate. With SMC's redesigned pump seals, the meth will not beable to eat away at the seals and destroy the pump. This was only an issue with underhood kits during the summer; the meth would boil in the pump and kill it once it ate the seals. With water, that is not a problem...and with a trunk mounted kit, running either meth or water, or a meth-water mix, it is no longer an issue.

Its not a gamble. Tuners who know what they are doing with the addition of water and/or meth mean buisness, and its worth every bit.

I agree with WJM Wholeheartedly.

The difference in torque is amazing, the sound is awesome.

Noah, I undestand your point and Corky has a point too, which is relevant to me a bit I suppose.

I use the water (20/80 meth/water sometimes) to control backfire risk.

I am compressing LPG and have had a few expensive backfires.

None reported after serious, serious abuse......and a little water.

• 1 month later...

:confused:

uh wtf? im reading about one engine will go into the car if the ea-t blows and then the subject completely friggin changes to using methanol and water. and then how some ones complaining about using water cooling. i dont understand. whats all this about? this seems very interesting

I have an 'injection' kit that can be used for water or methanol.

Some people say that the water injection is a band aid for not being able to tune well or covering up other problems.

Not the case.

The injection is a form of chemical intercooling. Making the intake charge even cooler. In the case of methanol, it cools even more, AND is combustable. It effectively increases the overall octane level of the air fuel mixture, making it possible to produce even more power, more reliably.

I have an 'injection' kit that can be used for water or methanol.

Some people say that the water injection is a band aid for not being able to tune well or covering up other problems.

Not the case.

The injection is a form of chemical intercooling. Making the intake charge even cooler. In the case of methanol, it cools even more, AND is combustable. It effectively increases the overall octane level of the air fuel mixture, making it possible to produce even more power, more reliably.

so... this is mixed in with the gas?

No. It is an entirely different system. Comes with a separate tank, pump, control box and nozzle-installed right ebfore the throttle body. Generally the tank and pump are trunck mounted. The control box features the min and max spray points as well as indicatior LEDs to indicate that the system is ready, spraying or low on fluid.

No. It is an entirely different system. Comes with a separate tank, pump, control box and nozzle-installed right ebfore the throttle body. Generally the tank and pump are trunck mounted. The control box features the min and max spray points as well as indicatior LEDs to indicate that the system is ready, spraying or low on fluid.

but im stil lost..what is this system used for? nitrous or cooing down the engine?