Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CV Joint - boot keeps ripping

A year ago I bought a new set of axels (CV for front left/right) from Kragen (autozone - esque store here in California). The driver side has been fine, but the passenger side boot keeps ripping open, throwing grease all over my engine compartment, tranny, etc... the store honors the warranty and gives me a new one, but today, if I put one in it will be the third one! So... third's a charm, right?

Any suggestions on what may be causing it to tear open?

A year ago I bought a new set of axels (CV for front left/right) from Kragen (autozone - esque store here in California). The driver side has been fine, but the passenger side boot keeps ripping open, throwing grease all over my engine compartment, tranny, etc... the store honors the warranty and gives me a new one, but today, if I put one in it will be the third one! So... third's a charm, right?

I had the same thing happen to me. Its the crappy boots they use. I thought it was heat from the cat but after i put a more expensive axle on it never did it again. I have gotten them that clicked from the store allso. When they say rebuilt they just look at them and if the joint isint tore apart they just repack with grease and put a new boot on clean it up and back to the warehouse it goes:mad:

i taking this as its the inside boot?

i didnt have a boot problem but i did have a joint problem infact it was both at the same time

some how the driver side motor mount boilts fell out and the motor was binding the joint

look over the next one good before leaving the store try to lightly slide it off

you got a life time waranty?

in time you will have it down doing it in thier parking lot :banana:

Kragen/shucks does sale "CHEAP PARTS" or as i used to say competivly priced when i worked for al's auto ,but rember your getting what you payed for

got a NAPA around?

got both mine for $125 exchanged and have put then through some painfull moments

The 87 dl wagon that I have came with that problem and adding a heat shield between the cat and inner boot solved the problem. My shield is mounted to the heat pipe flange (carbed engine) and is just a piece of duct metal with several small bends to add max clearance around the boot. Keeps the boot from being cooked and cracked.

aftermarket rebuilt/remanned axles are known to be far worse than the stock subaru axles. search the forums and you'll find all sorts of issues with after market axles, clicking, leaking, noises, breaking. i had heard all the horror stories and still used aftermarket axles until i had one that was a couple weeks old blow to pieces while i was driving, almost brand new. the axle exploded leaving no axle to turn my wheel...the auto trans was not happy with that. either expect to replace them, get new Subaru axles or get them rebuilt from MWE in colorado. in my oppinion it's not worth the time to save a few bucks, i'll have MWE do all of mine from here on out. MWE has a link in the vendors forum, check them out.

This is worst case scenario. I had the same problem on my 1988 GL. Sadly it was cancer. The frame rail was rotted out so the frame was flexing and tearing boots.

Another problem i had was the shop (before this diagnoses) was installing the wrong axle repeatedly. i finally went to subaru and had them replace it, not only did it fix the problem, but they were 50.00 cheaper.

nipper