Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anodized motor

I am looking into a rebuild of an ea82. Subaru specifically mentions the use of alchol in their 1987 engine. I was wondering if an anodized surface would protect the aluminum from the ill effects of the alchol. I understand that an anodized surface is near the hardness of a dimond. Looks like this would be a positive effect for an engine. I'm thinking anything aluminum be protected pistons, block, etc. Call me crazy but it's just a thought. Look forward to your comments. Here is where I got the info

http://asuwlink.uwyo.edu/~metal/anodizing.html

Your crazy.

These engines happily go to 200-300,000 miles in the stock methods.

Anodizing cant withstand the 15,000 psi pressure of combustion and equally high temperitures. ALso anodized coatings are a final step. They cant be machined, and have a real thickness to them.

If there was a plus to it as far as pistons someone would have done it. Anodizing is done to protect parts from the elements at atmospheric pressure or less. Its not desighned nor meant to protect under pressure. Whats worse is when it does fail, it flakes off. ALso anodized surfaces must expand and contract at the same rate, otherwise the srface will fail. ANodized parts tend to change the thermal cahrecteristics of what ever it is bonded too.

nipper

Parts inside the engine are not going to need it. The oil in the crank case and the carbon from igntion are more than sufficient to protect the aluminium surfaces. Besides that, there isn't any alumnium wear points on an EA82. Cylinder walls and rings are steel or sintered iron, main and rod bearings are steel as is the crank. Piston top, and combustion chamber rapidy form a carbon layer.... which surface are you trying to protect??

GD

Might be interesting to see an anodized block and heads, though. You can mask off areas you don't want anodized, like gasket mating surfaces and ports.

I'm just having visions of a bright blue block with yellow heads, maybe a gold intake- Appearancewise, it would be pretty sweet.

alcohol is for racing.........runs too cool for street.....no lubricity......40% more consumption........bad for non compatible rubber parts.......cold weather issues.......its a water sponge........limited access supplies......leaves a white residue caused by lack of maintaince....good for more torque tho...and its way safer fuel than gasoline....nice octane level......just some bits of info from competing in pro racing karts..........i know it prolly doesn't mean anything to most and some disagree....but just my personal expirence......:)

alcohol is for racing.........runs too cool for street.....no lubricity......40% more consumption........bad for non compatible rubber parts.......cold weather issues.......its a water sponge........limited access supplies......leaves a white residue caused by lack of maintaince....good for more torque tho...and its way safer fuel than gasoline....nice octane level......just some bits of info from competing in pro racing karts..........i know it prolly doesn't mean anything to most and some disagree....but just my personal expirence......:)
uh i'm lost, when did alcohol come into this or did i just read right over it?

EDIT: sorry i'm dumb first paragraph

How about chrome plating? Real American chrome, not cheap foreign stuff.

http://www.federal-mogul.com/en/AftermarketSolutions/SouthAmerica/EngineSolutions/Products/PistonRings/SealedPowerPistonRings/Moly-Chrome/

The been doing chrome piston rings ofr years. thats why it takes a about 8,000 miles for the newer soobies (gen I and II) to break in.

nipper

Chrome plated should be just like anodized both are just a thin coating. I am going to look aaround a little more just in case the comment about flaking is right. I just want to be able to burn e085. I also have to increase compression so it will burn about the same as gas engine.

The been doing chrome piston rings ofr years. thats why it takes a about 8,000 miles for the newer soobies (gen I and II) to break in.

nipper

Chrome plated should be just like anodized both are just a thin coating. I am going to look aaround a little more just in case the comment about flaking is right. I just want to be able to burn e085. I also have to increase compression so it will burn about the same as gas engine.

nipper

ah so now we get to the nut of things.

Its not worth it. First off you need to have the fuel system taken out, cleaned, and reinstalled (E85 is a powerful solvent). Secondly you need to re calibrate the computer (not too sure on the electronic feedback carbs). Next anything rubber that even has a slight chance of seeing fuel vapors need to replace.

Finally, it actually costs MORE to run e85, as you need 1/3 more of it to get the same range as gasoline.

Even the e85 sites say its doable but not feasable. Oddly its real easy if you have a pre 1973 car to convert.

nipper

uhhhhh what they said.........i was assuming you wanted to use 100% alc. not e85........the new e85 fuel vehicles can use either fuel....the 'puter senses the change of fuel and does what is required for the engine to survive.......everyone is dabbling in alt fuels....with limited success...someone will hit on the right thing and all will be well.....til then the public will be the guinna pig........:eek: :eek: :eek: and pay.............