Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Found Raised Roof GL d/r

Found a 1989 raised roof gl wagon d/r for sale and oem spfi to boot :) .. what is that roof about? I did personally learn on my own that a strong roof rack right where the raised part ends was a strengthener for my regular wagons I don't like to drive around without. I can get a photo, but I am sure there is a pro soober here who knows what the oem reasons may be for its design? Simply extra cargo? would this mean stronger springs etc? Subaru has been elusive here with explanations, I make up stuff...

Such as both my 87 wagons always staying jacked up and riding tougher than the loyale equivalent.. there was never a reason out loud officially.

I think I may be pursuing this yet another...:burnout:

I'm not sure how "limited" they really were. I've seen a number of them here in Subaru central. I did a clutch for a guy on one not long ago. Kind of strange that it didn't have a digi-dash or turbo or anything. Just a plain old GL D/R wagon, but with a touring roof. Seems kinda pointless, but I guess it looks neat simply because most don't have it :confused:

GD

That is interesting. It has a similar color brown and nearly identical interior as I just bought.It was what caught my eye going by...

The garage that made it inspectable has it reserved for another buyer, but may go by the time limit. Seems a good one to pursue...

I haver seen them here almost as much as the regular wagons. There has been a light silver one with loud exhaust and valves smacking for well over the year I have been here driving by alot (oh how that simple noise unfixed frustrates me). It looks really jacked up in the back end with that few more inches of roof. :)

[quoteExtra cargo space is really all it is. There are no other differences, but they did usually come as high-end models with many options.

]

I'm not so sure about that.I used to get around 16 gallons in the tank,so maybe they had a slightly larger tank?...would make sense for "touring".

[Correct me if I am wrong but I believe they were on,y made for 2 years and very very limited numbersYesterday 09:16 PM/QUOTE]

That's correct.Only 1500 were made in the two years.

THere's three different styles of rear windows -or installation techniques- in those two years.If you get the car you can score at least two complete rear hatches here in CT....or is it three?I have two and "wagonsonly" has one also.After breaking the rear glass and finding out how rare these cars are I kept the hatch from a donor car that happened along a little too late.

I was VERY fond of mine,even though I threw it to my inlaws to use for the last two years or so.They do have a much nicer look to them than the straight roof Loyales.Most people notice it.

If it has a roof rack you'll notice that it's a shorter rack.I also had a three door with a rack and I think they are the same sort of 3/4 size versions.

Got mine for $200.Needed an axle and timing belts.:) Got oh........????? like 5-6 years out of it??????Very cool car in this cat's eyes.:headbang:

1500 is a rarity...

There are 3 spotted in my neighborhood, with spots of primer and going on 20 years. The one I found was plane jane inside, except for d/r... no a/c buttons, typical full guages. I checked out the underside and found the usual spots needing attention. The garage is selling cheap. I am sure it is the back end of body keeping it from "mint" condition selling price.

It may have the exact same interior as my regular wagon, the dash colors and bezels etc are identical, exterior is no doubt unique color. Nothing real special going on however.Would like to work something out really for the spfi being oem in the 89 chassis...:)

1500 is a pretty average number for a 2 year production. They only made around 10,000 Brat's from 77 to 87 for the US market, and there's no real shortage of them (there's a perceived shortage, but mostly only for those areas where they didn't handle the environment). Those 1500 were spread mostly to the biggest markets for Subaru in the late 80's which was the NW, and parts of the rust belt.... so really that 1500 is concentrated in specific areas. They aren't obscenely common, but not "rare" by any stretch of the imagination. Not yet anyway.

That said, even if they aren't common, they aren't really worth beans either (in comparison to the normal Loyale). It's still just a Loyale wagon, and most people outside of the few enthusiasts around this board and others will never know or care what the difference is. It's such a small overall difference that most people will just see "another subaru wagon".

They also made touring wagons in the Legacy body with a similar roof bump, and most non-subaru folks would lump those into the mix too.

GD

I may be wrong but I thought the head rest on rear seats was a GL-10 item and not exclusive to turing wagons.

The only other difference I´ve noticed on those, along with the extra cargo, is that those Raised Roof, Came with Head Rests in the Back Seat.

:D

After all the tinkering with body work some saving catastrophic endings.. that raised roof has raised my eyebrow with decent thoughts.. nothing a strong roof rack and 4 rails on the roof couldn't do, but it is interesting.

I did note on my wagon, there is holes in the tops of the back seats for what I think is headrests or other gadget I am not aware of. Subaru kept making little extras and labeling them the same for these years, only the owner and enthusiasts would really care indeed.I want the raised roof....

Just to have it for my own contentment.

I have a touring wagon. complete rustbucket, but I may cut the roof off to put on my car eventually.

I have the D/R tranny out of another touring wagon in my loyale.

Piece by piece, I'll turn my loyale into a touring wagon. The last guy to ride in the back seat did tag his head on the roof, so the extra 2" might save some neck pain.