Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Good Tire's for an 87

I had my Gl out in some snow today and it was rocking along with all the trucks and SUV's. Granted it was being pushed around my the wider wheel bases of the previous vehicles, the car is a tank :burnout: . Anyways, apart from loving the D/R 4wd in the snow, a tire blew out on the highway back to civilization.

I was wondering what are the good tires for my sub?

I will be into some snow but also do a fair amount of highway miles.

any good snow/highways tires or is it "one or the other".

Thanks,

Nathan (arcata, california)

I just got some Hankook Winter iPike tires in 175/80/R13 -- a directional snow tire that can be studded, though I didn't. $65 each installed at my local tire store. I don't know how they'll fair long term, but they certainly do well in the snow. I can still get them to skid on packed ice (since they're not studded), but in any sort of snow, it's pretty hard to lock them up, and I've only gotten stuck once with them (if you call having to shovel for 20 seconds before pulling out of the drift I backed into stuck). They're still a soft rubber, but he said they are harder than a studdless snow like a Blizzak, which I wear out really quickly.

Zeke

anyone tried to install/remove a tire on a rim without one of those fancy machines they use at tire stores?
Two tire irons and a rubber mallet and you are in business.:banana: That's how we did them all before the fancy machines were generally available. If you don't have tire irons, two crowbars make good slippery substitutes. It's all in the technique.

If I decide to do tires again, I will get a set of tire spoons - I think JC Whitney lists them, I 'm sure others do also. Back when it was $5.00 to have a local guy dis / mount a tire, I decided it wasn't worth it with tire irons / screwdrivers / crowbars. Now that they want 20.00 to do that, I might try to find an older used tire machine - a friend told me they can be found for 2-300. I am always ending up with usable tires on crappy rims, or dead tires on good rims, and I always have trouble with the tire shops giving me stupid short tire valves. I'm sorry, but I should not have to remove hub caps to check the air pressure, and the extension things are junk also.

What is really no fun is changing the big 4' OD loader / backhoe tires.

I dicided to buy some Yokohama IG10 Iceguards tires from discounttiredirect.com. They were helpful and gave me an $10 warranty for any damage excluding vandalism or mechanical failure of the car. even offroad travel! get that! anyways, I also got some tire spoons on the way:) so I can change everything myself. I will hopefully get some spair rims or something and just set up a summer winter set.

I am heading up to Canada soon so I'll tell you how the tires do as well as how hard it is to change a tire with leverage and brute force.

I am heading up to Canada soon so I'll tell you how the tires do as well as how hard it is to change a tire with leverage and brute force.

The hardest part of tire changing is breaking the bead. That's why I use a hydraulic jack. After that it's very easy - as long as you lube the bead. After the beads are broken (both inner and outer) I spray a small amount of silicone lube on the beads and the tire will slide off the rim with a just a little help using large screwdrivers or spoons.

If i were to mount my own tires how hard is it to get the tire to fill again?

Not usually to bad. Make sure the beads are clean, lube helps. Clip on tire chuck, not hand held. Decent air supply helps - more CFM makes it easier. Sometimes I have had to put a ratchet strap around the center of the tread to make the beads touch the rims to get it started.

I prefer to use a backhoe to break beads. :grin: