Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale advice needed

Hey, i just got a line on a 94 loyale awd(button one the shifter knob) 5 speed. The front fenders are rusted and so is the rear around the wheels. It is loaded as far as options and has a 1.8 fi motor. The awd works, and it runs well. Didn't drive it yet.

The unitbody is not rusted though. It has 142k miles on it and the "owner" is unsure of the service records. It also has 1 new front axel. It looks like the rear main has been leaking because there is oil all over the crossmember. I would think a TB would be a good idea and also a reseal. It also needs some exhaust work. It is completely stock. It is plated and has been driven recently. The guy wants 800 but i am thinking 500. What is a good price for this? Is 800 fair and i am lowballing or would 500 be good?

Any help or suggestions welcome.

I'd say shoot him $500 and deal from there. $800 isn't horrible if everything is still working as it should, but most older Subies have little idiosyncrasies here and there and certain features don't work. The biggies are the engine (good compression, no leaks), the trans (clutch engagement, "crunchy" shifting) and 4WD (engages properly, axles all good). From there, it's mostly little stuff that can be tinkered with over time.

The rust sounds pretty typical of an older snow-bound Subie. My Loyale has a few "speed holes" in him and is quickly creeping up on 200K, but damn if he doesn't start in the coldest of weather and have an amazing 4WD system! The recent snow here in MN has been a riot to be out driving in.:grin:

As with any used car purchase, I would make a real effort to obtain it at $500. Plan on spending about another $1200 (parts cost) or so over the next year or two to get her into good all-round running shape: Tires, brakes, battery, exhaust, tune-up components such as wires, plugs, new disty cap, rotor. Radiator? What about timing belts, when were they last done.... If you get it for cheap, and tackle the PM, then I'd hone in on the body. Get it rust-proofed with hot oil for two years straight to slow the cancer down. With all of the above, and a little luck, you might get another 100K on the clock before she goes to Loyale heaven. If you do, you just got a very good deal. How do I know this? Answer: that's the plan I used on my purchase at 98K miles. Currently 220K and going strong.:)

Thanks for the advice. I was really thinking 500. I just did not want to insult him which i may any way so.........

Timing Belt and tune up was def on the list of first things to do. Luckily my wife is a NAPA store manager so i get huge discounts on parts. So the tune up stuff will be pretty cheap.

Well i am gonna drive it and shoot the offer on monday and we will see what happens.

I'd be VERY worried about the rust. I've not ever seen one that's had cosmetic rust, that didn't have holes in the framerails. How do you know the unibody isn't rusted out? Get on the ground and look, even bring a small hammer and tap everything. scrape a little of it off....you get the idea. I've seen many of them (owned 2, actually) that the framerails fell apart long before there was any serious cosmetic signs.

btw, it's NOT AWD, it's 4WD. if the owner is telling you it's AWD, make sure they knew you cannot drive it with it engaged on dry roads. if they did, the clutch pack may be shot.

or you could just swap the front diff with the D/R trans that was in your legacy. and make it D/R!!

I'd be VERY worried about the rust. I've not ever seen one that's had cosmetic rust, that didn't have holes in the framerails. How do you know the unibody isn't rusted out? Get on the ground and look, even bring a small hammer and tap everything. scrape a little of it off....you get the idea. I've seen many of them (owned 2, actually) that the framerails fell apart long before there was any serious cosmetic signs.

btw, it's NOT AWD, it's 4WD. if the owner is telling you it's AWD, make sure they knew you cannot drive it with it engaged on dry roads. if they did, the clutch pack may be shot.

or you could just swap the front diff with the D/R trans that was in your legacy. and make it D/R!!

I figured it was sorta the same design as the dr just single range. I got underneath it and puonded on some stuff(frame rails and suspension mounting points). I was surprised that there was no rust. The car had been undercoated.

Yeah chux i just hope they didn't drive it with the 4wd on on dry pavement. We will see. I am gonna go look at it again on monday and drive it. I am gonna take it to another parking lot and look it over more closely as far as the rust goes.

I am thinking if he goes for the 500 it'll be a good deal. I will probably not budge off that price.

Thanks for the info on the TB's Bill90Loyale. Thats good to know. That was one of my big worries with the mileage. Were these motors also pone to HG problems?

The guy am buying this off of knows Absolutly nothing ablut subaru's, so that could be good and bad.

Were these motors also pone to HG problems?

Only if overheated. Chances are, if the motor's never been overheated, your HGs are fine. If it has, run a compression check, check for bubbles in the coolant when running, and carefully check to make sure there's no coolant in the oil or visa versa.

Only if overheated. Chances are, if the motor's never been overheated, your HGs are fine. If it has, run a compression check, check for bubbles in the coolant when running, and carefully check to make sure there's no coolant in the oil or visa versa.

I did check the oil and it looked good. I only let it run for 5 minutes or so. no bubbles in the coolant for that time.

Thanks for advice.

Dude- go for it! I got my 92 loyale w/108k for only $400. Pretty nice body- no real rust. It has issues like the electric windows, the driver door is a little tweeked, it had no rear glass, A/C NFG, ect... But it will climb a tree! It just snowed here (west of chicago) pretty good last friday and she drove like it was a summer day. Couple times I hit the shoulder I know ANY other car or truck would have been sucked in. I just stepped on the gas, held fast to the wheel and POW!- back on the road. Can't imagine it with real good studded winter tires! Unstoppable!