Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Holy Rusted Soobie, Batman!!!

ok, ok...i get the point. :grin: and I hear ya on the project languishing in the background...have a couple of those around here as well...

not too many beemers, benz's or Porsches around here - it's more the caddy suv, lincoln suv, and hummer crowd that cant seem to see over thier hoods & notice the little Subaru...:mad:

oh, we got plenty of those too. Lots of Pseudo-rednecks around, as well, with the "save a horse ride a cowboy" sticker on the back of their $45,000 banks/cummins turbocharged full ton three mile high pickup trucks with swampers on them so big they would float a soob.. they may even float these 3 tons prosthetic compensations... where do these people get their money from, is what i wanna know. Living a life on credit leads to economic meltdown, i thought we learned that in school when we went over the causes of the Great Depression.... sigh.

...these 3 tons prosthetic compensations...

:lol::lol:

... i thought we learned that in school when we went over the causes of the Great Depression.... sigh.

Learned? School??? Wasn't school just for picking up chicks?

Not that I would know. :mad: Hmmm...maybe I need one of those 3 ton prosth... ;)

ROFLMAO :lol:

yeah, they are 3 ton prosthetics, but i just wonder what the heck the women are trying to compensate for???? just about half of the monster vehicles are being driven by females around here. scary, aint it? just think of the dumb bimbo yapping on the phone, attempting to put on her makeup in the rearview, driving that 3 ton pile of bolts....:eek:

yeah, i am a female, but for the record i am one of the exceptions to the rule....I rarely wear makeup, and when i do it is applied at home. I have a cell phone, but rarely use it...and I pay attention to what is going on around me when i am behind the wheel. oh yeah, and I fix my own vehicles!! :-p

ROFLMAO :lol:

yeah, they are 3 ton prosthetics, but i just wonder what the heck the women are trying to compensate for???? just about half of the monster vehicles are being driven by females around here. scary, aint it? just think of the dumb bimbo yapping on the phone, attempting to put on her makeup in the rearview, driving that 3 ton pile of bolts....:eek:

I know what it is...I happen to know someone who fits this discriptions....She "thinks" she is a Tom Boy...or just wants people to think she is tough...but in reality she doesnt know who she is. Basically if she knows a female is heavily into something...she tries to either be just like her or "more".

Like me for instant....been working on cars since I was about 5 years old....dont claim to know it all or even close...but know enough and have the right friends to get me to where I need to be.This girl asks if she can use my tools to gibve her truck a tune-up...Brings it over ( Dodge Dakota 4X4 extra cab )..I end up doing it cause she gets frustrated after 5 minutes of just trying to figure out the plug wire electronic things ( sorry I dont know the names..I work on old Subies for Gosh shake).. I ride dirt bikes...suddenly she wants to ride street..as long as its an AT ( she can't drive stick!)

People like that make me want to just slap the stupid outta them and makes me almost ashamed to be a female

...People like that make me want to just slap the stupid outta them and makes me almost ashamed to be a female

OMG YES!!! i know a few like that as well!!

I learned to take care of my car out of need - didnt have anyone I could turn to for help, other than the odd friend way back when, and they were more inclined to help me do it myself rather than do it for me, which in my opinion was the best thing that ever happened to me.

my favorite tag line:

Jack of all trades, master of none. Know a little bit about a lot of things, and a whole lot about nothin'!

pretty much says it all!! :grin:

Like me for instant....been working on cars since I was about 5 years old....dont claim to know it all or even close...but know enough and have the right friends to get me to where I need to be.

I learned to take care of my car out of need - didnt have anyone I could turn to for help, other than the odd friend way back when, and they were more inclined to help me do it myself rather than do it for me, which in my opinion was the best thing that ever happened to me.

my favorite tag line:

Jack of all trades, master of none. Know a little bit about a lot of things, and a whole lot about nothin'!

I think it's great that at least *some* females are not hopelessly worthless when it comes to making something work. I can speak for most men in saying that it's an attractive quality - heck just look at those stupid swimsuit garage calendars with models holding various greasy wrenches and air tools...;)

Maybe it's just me, but I hate helpless females. My GF was right there helping when we did the timing belts on her Camry. She wanted to know what everything was for, and how it was being done. She's not a mechanic by trade so I wouldn't expect her to know how to do a t-belt job, but still she was interested. Even went to the parts store and ordered all the parts herself before we got started.

GD

OMG YES!!! i know a few like that as well!!

my favorite tag line:

pretty much says it all!! :grin:

I too learned out of NEED more than anything...but then I actually enjoyed doing it. My fiances sister thinks I am nuts cause I ask for tools for Christmas instead of jewelery ( I really really want a cordless impact gun and a big torque wrench!). My friend Rory does alot of work for me...but its usually when I dont have the time to do it myself..and if I am in a bind he has no trouble assisting...but he never talks down to you or just steps in saying ( with a huff like many men do) "Let me just do it"

And I love your tag line..I live those words:grin: :brow:

Boy ..we hijacted this thread didnt we...:lol:

wow, what have i done?!? :banana:

On the topic of females who are self-reliant, much applause. I have a good friend who bought a volvo planning to have someone swap the front clip out and wind up with a car worth much more than she paid.. she actually started trying to repair similar rust damage to mine (although on nothing remotely like the same scale, think 0.1%) on her honda accord before deciding to go for the volvo.. she is having a professional body man do the work, but not many women (CERTAINLY not down here in south florida, its turning south california here) would have had the eye for something that was as easily repairable as the damage on this car.

I also learned how to work on cars out of necessity.. My dad never felt like paying a mechanic to do things he could easily accomplish with the help of his sons.. (he had five of us, after all. we owed the poor bastard SOMEthing in return) we were his wrench-monkeys, and ultimately his tire and oil changers, belt installers, radiator swappers, etc... When i got my own car (a '92 geo storm that i put four timing belts on in one year, long story) you know I wasn;t paying anyone else to work on it. Insurance was too expensive for me to afford a mechanic, too.

And as for the "rust" on the brown vehicle.. c'mon man, look at my car, then look at your picture... you cant call any of that "rust" in the face of what I've got :-p

titanic!=delorean. funny, though :grin:

since this is a rusted thread what the heck is rusty jones. my GL-10 has a sticker of a cartoon man with a stash and it says Rusty Jones car something something.

oh now i remember its rusty jones car saver system.

what is that crap the GL-10 came from somewhere in the rustbelt.

whats rusty jones?!?

Yay i finally have a car with real authentic rust! Was cleaning leaves outta the sill around the boot lid when i gave a dirty spot a poke with a rag.....now my fingers bleeding and theres a hole in the car. :mad:

Impressive rust in some of these pics, how the hell do you people pass inspections!!??

This rust stuff is teh evil! Now how do i make it go away....

Edit: Also big LOLS at the thread titles in the "Similar Threads" box

whats rusty jones?!?

Oh the Young-uns :grin:

Rusty Jones was supposed to be similar to the Zeibart treatment. To me it was just another reason to up the price of the car. It was "supposed" to help prevent you car from rusting. Didnt this come out when the steel that was being used was that weak problem stuff? Personally I felt it did the just the opposite...every car I have seen with this treatment in this part of the country has had worse rust then those not treated. You look at my 92 Loyale...No treatment..originally came from Delaware..then spet many years in PA and now the last 3+ in CT...the rust is there but no where close to as bad as the XT6..Plus on Bucky I try to keep up with it.

As for keltiks question...some states dont have safety inspections. The way I make it go away is cutting out the bad and pop-riviting or welding new metal in..there are also flexible mess sheets to cover the spots you can't cut out the apply lots of Bondo..there is also the product POR-15 (?) havent tried it myself yet but I have heard extremely good reviews on it.

When you live in an area that is prone to have rust issues..you just learn to live with it and deal with it...its just a way of life:)

Oh the Young-uns :grin:

Rusty Jones was supposed to be similar to the Zeibart treatment. To me it was just another reason to up the price of the car. It was "supposed" to help prevent you car from rusting. Didnt this come out when the steel that was being used was that weak problem stuff? Personally I felt it did the just the opposite...every car I have seen with this treatment in this part of the country has had worse rust then those not treated. You look at my 92 Loyale...No treatment..originally came from Delaware..then spet many years in PA and now the last 3+ in CT...the rust is there but no where close to as bad as the XT6..Plus on Bucky I try to keep up with it.

As for keltiks question...some states dont have safety inspections. The way I make it go away is cutting out the bad and pop-riviting or welding new metal in..there are also flexible mess sheets to cover the spots you can't cut out the apply lots of Bondo..there is also the product POR-15 (?) havent tried it myself yet but I have heard extremely good reviews on it.

When you live in an area that is prone to have rust issues..you just learn to live with it and deal with it...its just a way of life:)

thanks Bucky92 :)

I think it's great that at least *some* females are not hopelessly worthless when it comes to making something work. I can speak for most men in saying that it's an attractive quality - heck just look at those stupid swimsuit garage calendars with models holding various greasy wrenches and air tools...;)

Maybe it's just me, but I hate helpless females. My GF was right there helping when we did the timing belts on her Camry. She wanted to know what everything was for, and how it was being done. She's not a mechanic by trade so I wouldn't expect her to know how to do a t-belt job, but still she was interested. Even went to the parts store and ordered all the parts herself before we got started.

GD

i am far from a mechanic by trade, but i do know a socket from a box end :brow: and know my way around my subie pretty well, altho i have not torn one down completely - yet...

can pretty much handle problems on pretty much any older vehicle as well - only time i run into problems is on the newer ones with all the electronic "stuff" under the hood - you know, the boxes and other gizmos that hide the actual engine....:rolleyes:

have found i can fix rusted areas fairly well too since learning how to use the mig welder - may not be the prettiest job ever, but i can do it - and fiberglass can hide a multitude of sins! :lol:

i

have found i can fix rusted areas fairly well too since learning how to use the mig welder - may not be the prettiest job ever, but i can do it - and fiberglass can hide a multitude of sins! :lol:

I have a job for you.....see my Floor Rot thread..want to take a trip to CT:grin: :grin: :grin: One of these days I should learn to weld ...save me alot of headache

Wow, I havent visited the site in over a week and I come back and this thread is STILL on the top page..

Yah, down here in FL we don't have any annual inspections whatsoever.. no state income tax, either, which I understand is a more or less universal headache elsewhere in the country..

In Palm Beach, Broward, and Dade counties (that would be W. Palm, Boca, Ft Lauderdale, & Miami.. the long, skinny megalopolis thats built up down here on the southeast corner for about 80 miles) we had emissions inspection until Jeb Bush abolished that as his second act in office as governor. I wasn't exactly thanking my lucky stars, though. His first act was to rob our Water Management District of all scientists on its board of directors, and replace them with lobbyists and bureaucrats.. :rolleyes: Plus I had just bought a 25 year old vehicle anyhow, so I was exempting myself.

I wish we DID have safety inspections down here.. it might shape up some of the driving a tad.. BUT I suppose that my vehicle would stand a good chance of not passing them. However, as I said there is no major frame rot or danger points. Just, poor aerodynamics, and the tetanus factor :-p

and I think any man gives much much credit to any woman who takes the initiative to pick up a wrench. It shows a rational mode of thought that appeals to men, and is (regrettably) deficient in many women. Plus, self reliance is attractive to anyone.:clap: :clap: :clap: