Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Amazing home video of icy collisions in Portland

Check out video at

http://www.king5.com/video/

titled: Amazing home video of icy collisions in Portland

I wasn't able to identify these cars very well.

Are any of the cars sliding subarus?

Commuting these days in the Seattle area makes me glad I drive a subaru.

Also Snow tires do make a difference.

Finally I still think the most important accessory and feature in your driving is your brain.

Drive safely and use your brain.

Sam

LOL..I saw that video earlier on the news. I was amazed at how many of those vehivles seemed to be SUVs...totally out of control. 1 fella going straight almost made it but it looked like he panicked and hit the brakes...bad plan. Once the front wheels lock you lose all control. A combination of too much speed and too little experience. I think I could do better in my 2whd soob. It has 4 snowies on and does very well as long as the bumoper isn;t pushing too much snow or going over a pile of snow left by a snow plough.

god i love dumb people, if you can't do it stay home dont go out and mess up other peoples cars. i love how he just floored it when he thought he had a strait path down that road

but i saw that crap all day today as i just idled by them in my loyale thank god for skinny rump roast snow tires, i was crawling by all these jacked up jeeps and trucks just spinning out because they think because big tires+4x4+ lots of power means i can go any where, hah, i'll take any of them on.:headbang:

I dunno, but whe it is already hard to walk on the street because of ice what make people think they can still drive a car on the same ice. Yes with awd and real spikes (1/2 inch) it might be possible. But i wouldnt dare it. AWD and FWD should have the advantage over RWD's in this, but still ice is very tricky

What in the hell was wrong with that first guy? After he hits 2 cars he spins his wheel like a madman and mashes the gas!? Most of his carnage was completely avoidable and I hope he gets severely fined and or jailed.

I agree, he should stop, or remove the car from drive, put it in park car is broken anyway :grin: or at least nutral. But he probably thought I have SUV with 4wd and can drive on ice without spikes. yeah right.

My dad saw the video on the new station and they said it was a Volvo "SUV" so I would assume it was AWD. My dad thinks that maybe the gas pedal got stuck or something, cuz there is no way a car can perpell itself like that, the video goes on to show it pushing the four cars and the end until they split into two groups.

Yeah, people were pretty stupid out here, a lot of people did not have the sense to stay home.

The second to last vehicle (before the sedan; then the fire dept. shows up) is an outback. Don't know what the first one was, but I initially thought it looked kind of like a Jeep Grand Cherokee or something....that guy was out of control.:eek: He should've just stopped after he hit that telephone pole but instead he punches the throttle - where did he think he was gonna go, especially after running into a bunch of cars beforehand? I must admit though, the result was quite impressive.

I live in salem oregon , which is 30 miles s of portland.

I know portland well.

That hill is VERY STEEP!

All the cars are going downhill .

Yes they are all SUV's and AWD.

Problem here is most of these people in portland ...

1: dont know how to drive in snow (amazing , its the NW:-\ )

2: Have bad tires or low pro tires with street tread(idiots render there SUV usless)

3: Idiots.

But none the less , that is a very steep ,San Fransico type street.

The 1st guy gets propelled down another street that is also downhill and I also believe he was trying to flee the scene.

dang

what is it with people who believe they are indestructible simply because they have AWD or 4WD -especially in an SUV??

A couple days ago coming home from work some dingbat in a CRV was crusin' along at about 75mph, blew past me like I was sitting there. There was ice under the snow in the speed lane, so most everyone was in the other two lanes. She went sailing by (chattering on her phone of course :slobber:) and her back end started to sway and she wound up spinning a couple times and was VERY lucky most people were alert enough to get out of her way and she ended up on the rumble strips on the side, got control and kept going -all the while she stayed on her phone. :-\