Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1999 Outback Wagon Check Engine Light

1999 Outback Wagon 2.5 Auto Trans, 150,000+ miles (Speedo works only sometimes) No major fixes recently. New timing belt at 120K.

Check Engine Light came on. Is always on now. Do I have to take it to the Dealership to find out what's wrong? What's it gonna cost me to find out what's wrong? Is there anything I can try without taking it to a mechanic?

Where would you take it? Thank you.

But what if you want to DIY ?

Mine is lit on my '98 Outback.

jw

Go to any AutoZone, Checkers, et al, and ask to borrow their OBDII reader. Take it out to your car and pull the codes and then take the scanner back in. They will connect it to their computer and pull the codes from the database.

After you find out what it's reporting you can decide on the best fix. Logic (and Click & Clack) dictates that the fix will be ...

... black tape over the light.

Autozone will read it for free (as will many autoparts stores). I have a funny feeling since you arent sure how to read the CEL your DIY skills may be challanged

The person who said black tape NEVER do that, period. That CEL is telling you things that are wrong with the car that can kill the converter, or affect the AWD, or any other major repair. The days of ignoring a CEL are long gone unless you want to kil the car.

At your mileage im going to bet your getting a cat inneffeciency code, which means you will need a front o2 sensor.

The spedo is a common problem in that year car, and the contacts in the head need to be cleaned. Do a search here you will find out how.

nipper

Disco

The speedometer not working will trigger an error code and

light the CEL.

The vehicle speed sensor (VSS#2) is what generates the pulses the speedo and the engine control unit (ECU) use.

A write up on it can be seen here.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65752

There have been other instances where the trouble is in the gauge cluster (speedometer head unit).

If you feel dealings of this nature are out of your realem

please ask more questions.

The person who said black tape NEVER do that, period. That CEL is telling you things that are wrong with the car that can kill the converter, or affect the AWD, or any other major repair. The days of ignoring a CEL are long gone unless you want to kil the car.

nipper

Over 80,000 trouble free miles of black tape after THREE new front 02 sensors, gawdknows how many resets, and several deep scan readings by Subaru says otherwise. Some CELs just won't go away.

things that can happen with a cel light

dead vss sensor (no awd)

bad o2 sensor

bad cat

bad cam sensor

bad crank sensor

Ignoring a flashing CEL light is bad, and the tape wont let you see that

Blanket statements are bad. Its just not a good thing to apply to tape to another car since it is "unsolvable" on your car.

Also i would find another shop. Computer tools and scans are NOT the solution, they are just a tool. Too many shops rely soley on the ecy trouble codes, and thats not what they are there for, they are a diagnostic tool. If they havent done a real time reading while driving the car thats another thing that should be done. Also anywhere with an emissions test if you have a CEL on, or tape over the light its an immediate failure.

So what works for you in your location is not a good idea for others.

nipper

things that can happen with a cel light

dead vss sensor (no awd)

bad o2 sensor

bad cat

bad cam sensor

bad crank sensor

Ignoring a flashing CEL light is bad, and the tape wont let you see that

Blanket statements are bad. Its just not a good thing to apply to tape to another car since it is "unsolvable" on your car.

Also i would find another shop. Computer tools and scans are NOT the solution, they are just a tool. Too many shops rely soley on the ecy trouble codes, and thats not what they are there for, they are a diagnostic tool. If they havent done a real time reading while driving the car thats another thing that should be done. Also anywhere with an emissions test if you have a CEL on, or tape over the light its an immediate failure.

So what works for you in your location is not a good idea for others.

nipper

Two 02 sensors were replaced by our local dealership, on by a dealer in MD. Been to at least three indies, and the next nearest Subaru dealer is over 130 miles away, which would include at least a day off work and an overnight in a motel. I think I'll just keep on using the tape thankyewvermuch.

Two 02 sensors were replaced by our local dealership, on by a dealer in MD. Been to at least three indies, and the next nearest Subaru dealer is over 130 miles away, which would include at least a day off work and an overnight in a motel. I think I'll just keep on using the tape thankyewvermuch.

Have you thought of renting a code reader and looking at it in real time? Also dealers can and do usually suck, a good indepdent shop is priceless.

nipper

Followup:

I took it into AutoZone. They found that it was a EGR flow error code. They said sometimes in cold weather the light will come on in error. They cleared the code and said if it the light comes back on, bring it back in.Took 5 minutes and cost nothing. Thanks everyone.

Followup:

I took it into AutoZone. They found that it was a EGR flow error code. They said sometimes in cold weather the light will come on in error. They cleared the code and said if it the light comes back on, bring it back in.Took 5 minutes and cost nothing. Thanks everyone.

0400? I got one of those too . . .

OBDII code readers start at about $70.00 and go up from there. If you just want to find out what the code is, hit the auto parts store near you. Most read the codes for free so they can sell you the part to fix it.

My problem child is a '98 OBW (150k miles). I also drive a '92 Legacy Wagon (239k miles) in the winter and my prior car was a '87 XT (RIP). A lot of technology happened between '87 and '98. :-\ My light came on while at idle in the Walmart Parking lot.

I would like to have my own OBD-2 reader if they aren't that expensive. Is there a reader for the Outback that's recommended over others, for what ever reason?

How about the "Equus 3110" ?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B0007VXZ7W

B0007VXZ7W.01.PT01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V59771486_.jpg

Thanks for the input!

jw

i love it. there are a few of use here that have them. i like the fact i can read codes and reset them on the fly. i havent used the custom settings yet, but the mpg is dead on, and the trouble codes work very well.

i have mine mounted perm on the steering wheel housing

nipper

i love it. there are a few of use here that have them. i like the fact i can read codes and reset them on the fly. i havent used the custom settings yet, but the mpg is dead on, and the trouble codes work very well.

i have mine mounted perm on the steering wheel housing

nipper

I appreciate the input, looks like a winner. I'm in no hurry at the moment since my '92 is running strong for the winter, but come springtime, that '98 is hitting the road. :clap:

jw

I ordered a Scangauge for my '98 OBW, will see how it works out.

jw

I bought it from the guy, above, on eBay. Received it in a few days. Finally got around to hooking it up on my '98 OBW. After brushing a foot of snow off the car so I could get in, I started it up and the check engine light stayed on. I hooked up the Scangauge according to the manual, and it showed "No Codes". I checked the stored codes - "None found". :-\

Okay, so I look at the dash ... the check engine light was off! :confused:

Well, actually cool! :clap: I didn't have to clear it or anything.

I finished digging the car out and drove it around the neighborhood a little (not much salt on the roads right now, so I went for it). This is a cool little tool, seems to work well. It keeps shutting off after 10 seconds, I wonder if there is a way to stop that, so it just keeps reading? You can change the backlight color - I've got mine set on blue, and it will fit nicely just under the stock stereo (need to route the cable nicely).

So far, I like it. Money well spent.

John Wilke

Milwaukee