Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can someone change my mind?

I am not a fan of the EJ, as most usmb regulars have seen im my posts... Would love to evolve someday and make a momument for the ea82/ea81 in its own town, with one building: a museum revolving around it. :)

Anyway...

Is there an EJ engine with single overhead cams, closed deck, and 2 valves per cylinder? If so, I will seek one to pretend I am happy with newer soobs.put in full cams timed correctly at a very realistic 10:1 and drive.:rolleyes:

I think you would love an EJ18 if you ever owned one. I would like put one in my '89 GL Wagon (in my own little wishful wonderland).

And I can personally testify that the EJ22T is one HECK of an engine. I love that thing, 193k miles and running like a top in my Sport Sedan.

I think you would love an EJ18 if you ever owned one. I would like put one in my '89 GL Wagon (in my own little wishful wonderland).

And I can personally testify that the EJ22T is one HECK of an engine. I love that thing, 193k miles and running like a top in my Sport Sedan.

The EJ22 is a beast of an engine. The stock internals are good for like 400hp.

The ej22 is seemingly the popular one for them. They don't seem to be all that popular local, unless they are in hiding.... I would swear there is more old ones sometimes. The ej22 is no longer made either is it?

I am slowly, realistically, drifting away from the soobs, and after 10 years with the older little ea82, it bothers me. From the year and a half here at usmb and reding more posts than I can remeber, an inline kept conservative would make more sense at this point- and I despise the inline four engine from past experience, even recently, last year with a gm Corsica.

I have some powerful nature here, toys aren't welcome. I even stayed content with a 90hp straight 6 shuddering its out of balance condition, but reliable. The new boxer has some horror stories. A recent post in the subaru newsgroup about a 2000 forestor that wouldn't start at -10F seemed likely since the day I set eyes on that engine.My hunches came true , and even worse. The thought of a v8 is still too greedy beyond needy for me.

I see that road salt all over the ea82 wagon and know that it is 20, inspectable, runs fantastic, and don't want to drive it like an expendable anymore...

I suppose anything would work, if cheap enough.I am the type to keep one car however... a non-reliable wallet killer isn't ever going to be one again. :confused:

This my second boxer engine ('71 VW Superbeetle) and I must admit the Japanes engineers who created this engine (Masayuki Kodama, Takemasa Yamada and Shuji Sawafuji of FHI Ltd) knew what they were doing. This engine is still being built but the displacement is now 2.5. This engine is used world wide with hundereds of thousands of loyal (or should I use Loyale?) fans. The durability that you've come to rely on in your EA engine has been subplanted in the EJ. SOHC with 4 valves simply improves its efficiency but the basic architecture of the engines internals are still the same.

You needn't be put off by more modern technology. It'll be OK.

the EA82 is scrap aluminum when compared to the EJ22. and the EA82 makes most other engines look like junk.

IMHO, the only reason the EJ22 isn't made exactly as it was made for almost 10 years, is because of all the luxury options that they added to the cars, they needed more power. and so the motor demanded redesigning. the new motors are still good, but you really can't live up to the phase 1 EJs.

the other reason they're so popular, is they're of the perfect age to be cheap. a whole donor car can be had for a grand or less. if I could get an EZ30R for the same cost, I'd be all over that....but IIRC it has SEVEN main bearings!!! so it must be total junk

I'm not sure I'm reading this stuff....EJ and fears of reliability?

So, a Forester wouldn't start in winter? What about all the stories we read about EA engines cracking the heads between the valves?

I've heard more of the latter, and expect the former wasn't due to bad design, but more likely neglect by the owner.

I am definitely with the "you never look back" crowd on this one. Get an EJ and don't worry.