Ultimate Subaru Message Board

crankshaft bolt striped and wont come out

wow, someone beat that thing to crap to strip it. sounds like a complete pain the rear to me. i only have suggestions:

heat the bolt, try tightening it, try air tools, try the "starter method" in hopes that does something?

if you get it out, the crank may or may not (never checked) be tapped deeper than the crank pulley bolt, so a longer bolt may work. that is true on most bolt holes in the engine...but the crank pulley i do not know.

if you remove the covers the timing belt may be replaceable without removing the crank. but then you'd still want a way to lock the crank bolt solid. was the car running like this?

oh yes, prying on the head while turning can definitely work. so it came out a little bit at least? if that's the case you can try screwing it back in, then back out, back in and then back out...sometimes that will free it up as well. but at this point the easiest, best and quickest method is definitely prying on it.

the prying would be bewteen the crank pulley and the bolt head most likely. that's the ideal case, so should'nt have to mess with the plastic covers unless you'd want to pry on the pulley. but i'd look to get the pry bar right under the bolt head which resides againt the pulley, no harm on the plastic covers there.

plastic covers don't matter, but i'm not sure why you'd need to pry behind the pulley. the bolt head rests against the crank pulley, so you should be prying a between the bolt head and pulley...not sure why the plastic or oil pump is even in the equation here.

well there is no space between the pulley and the bolt head so i will have to go behind the pulley and possibly crack the cover...

i have no idea i went to do a timming belt job and found out that the bolt is not threading out.... it just keeps on turning and nothing happens....

it sounds like a simple solution, you are talking about the bolt infront of the harmonic pulley correct? Can you just use a screw remover, however u need to get a short drill, or remove the engine, or remove the rad. Then get a new bolt? correct?

Heat it up red hot with a torch, and pound smaller socket onto it than hit it with an impact gun. I beleive they are 21mm bolt heads so a 20 mm will work, you may need to remove the radiator, and plastic covers. Don pry youll just break other stuff and still not get it.

You could also try the starter method. it almost always works. Seriously, I would take it to the dealer, and pay the 80$ to have it removed rather than tearing up more stuff.

I HAVE DECLARED WAR ON MY IMPREZA!!!!!

Hold on there a minute, bucko!

IIRC the main seal comes out very easily if you remove the oil pump--which you need to do anyway to check the screws holding the pumps backplate and to replace the o-ring.

Don pry youll just break other stuff and still not get it.

You could also try the starter method. it almost always works. Seriously, I would take it to the dealer, and pay the 80$ to have it removed rather than tearing up more stuff.

you realize the bolt is stripped right? have you ever dealt with a stripped crank bolt before? the dealer will likely say "new engine needed" and if they do manage to get it out, it will be more than $80. the starter method and air tools will probably not make a difference here. maybe, but not necessarily, i think you're thinking of just a really tight crank pulley bolt...this one is stripped. though i would certainly try the starter and air tools, it is worth a shot.

if you can't get the bolt head and have to go behind the pulley, get as close to the crank shaft as you can so you're pushing dead center on the pulley. build up something to leverage against with wood or metal, so you're not directly pressing on something important...oil pump for instance.

crank seals are easy in my oppinion. sometimes annoying to remove, but not a big deal at all, they always come out.