Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Grand Hollywood/Burbank misadventure - Now With A Map

You may not get a chance to get on here, but either way, if you need any help when you get here or if you get close and need a tow :eek: you can call me. I'm in Tucson and would be willing to go as far as Phoenix if you would re-imburse me for gas. I have a subaru compatable tow bar and access to an auto hauler trailer if need be. Best of luck and hope you enjoy the drive. -Eli- 520 891 6828 :headbang:

You guys are so freakin awesome, you know that?

I got to Sac with only minor trouble - almost lost a damn wheel! I felt a lot of shaking and heard noise from the rear end so I pulled off the freeway and looked for a flat, they all had air. "Hm, maybe it's just that part of freeway is bumpy?" Nope, does it on another road. On closer inspection or one rim, the lugnuts are halfway off, and one is missing!!:eek::eek::eek:

Apparently I didn't tighten them down when I put that wheel on, now the threads are semi-stripped but I made damn sure all 15 nuts are super tight now.

My stalling problem seems to have gone away since I changed all the fuses - Mike said sometimes an ignition fuse can go out and I think that was the culprit.

Sedona is out of my way this week, but I may just be doing some travelling in the near future - I got a Brat so I could sleep in the bed after all and the only commitment I have right now is to my girl. No rent, no bills, no (full time) job, no nothin'! Woooo!

If anyone wants to meet for a non-alco drink or light wheeling, I'll be in LA tomorrow (hopefully not during rush hour) and Phoenix and Tucson the next, aong with every town inbetween. Thanks everybody!

Just got into Tucson about an hour ago and what do I see? A brown Gen-1 DL Brat! Left a note with USMB on it. That makes 5 EA cars seen on this whole trip.

Hey if anybody personally knows someone who needs an employee or has a room for rent in Tucson please let me know, I'll be hitting CL at libraries and internet cafe's until then. 541-778-9928

Well, here's my super happy fun story:

I get to Tucson, stay for a few days sleeping in the Brat (longbeds may look silly but they would be nice for that) and even got a temp job. I thought that being a big city with an enormous budget they would have some decent roads there, not a cluster**** of twisty potholed strips. Gotta love the way the numbered streets go 29th, 17th, 11th, 41, 5th <WTF!? So anyway after a few days of not being able to go to stores at night since everyon closes early for some reason I left because it's so hard to get around and I missed my girlfriend.

When I got to Hell... sorry, I mean um... Los Angeles at about 8:30pm my car started to slow down like something was holding it back and I pulled off at the first exit I see to check it out. My left rear wheel looks like that of a poorly lowered Integra (see extremely negative camber) and the brake is smoking, because apparently I didn't tighten the wheel hub nut enough. (problem solved: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=71086) Wee hee! So I run about a mile to an Autozone. I got there a few minutes after closing and even after explaining my emergency situation to the manager, he decides to be a d**k and not let me in, insead directing me to another Autozone "about 5 miles away". And I ran. I ran so far away. I couldn't get away. Just kidding, I got very, very far away, so far in fact that by the time I bought my huge crescent wrench at 10:45 I couldn't remember what street I had left the Brat on. So I ran some more in that general direction (or what I THOUGHT was that general direction) until I was completely lost. I ran for about an hour til I couldn't run anymore and I saw a fire station. The fire chief showed me a hug map and suggested I head about 8 miles a certain way to get back to I-5. I ran several more miles til I got to a bar with some people outside and asked directions. They told me the street I was heading for was miles away in a different direction that I was now walking. So I sat down and for the first time in my life I hyperventilated. Chilled out for a while and took the nice people's there advice and went to a 7-11, where I called my mom and had money wired, and my girlfriend who looked up the only significant landmark (a Contractors Warehouse) on the street I was parked on. Got a cab and finially made it back to my car. All in all I estimate I ran about 13 miles, and I will probably still be limping for a few more days.

Ate some food and took off my weel and hub. There was a TON of steel dust in there from the shoes rubbing on the pad. I cleaned all that off, put some bike grease on the dry bearings, checked the other rear wheel and got back onto I-5, leaving LA around 3am, hopefully forever.

Car starts making horrible clunking noise from the rear, I stop and check it again, the spindle and nut are really ot to the touch. In the morning I take off the wheel again, everything looks fine, but... even though it's in 2WD, turning the wheel while it's in the air is making the axle and front-to-rear driveshaft spin. WTF. I figure it's stuck somehow in 4WD and try to take off the axle for a tempory fix. Couldn't get it out (never done it before) so I just left, and the problem has silenced itself for now.

I will park the car when I get home, then get it checked out at DHM and replace both rear axles (one boot is torn anyway) and shock and all that nice stuff.

So I guess the moral of this story is: Make damn sure you tighten the piss out of things that should be tight, remember what street you park on, don't leave home without wads of cash dollaz, and avoid LA at all costs.

Great story!

even though it's in 2WD, turning the wheel while it's in the air is making the axle and front-to-rear driveshaft spin.

The rear driveshaft will spin, regardless of whether or not its engaged in 4WD. Its just not engaged to the driving gear, so its free to go at whatever speed it wants, and doesn't have any power running to it.

Yeah, the San Fernando Valley... Even though I've lived in the general area for over 18 years, I still get lost out there :lol:

There's many parts of Hollywood... you would have been on the infamous Hollywood Blvd. had you been a little more south...

Glad to hear you got out of here, and went to a better place :banana:

That's too bad to hear you didn't like Tucson. We've been having great weather here too. I don't know what you're talking about those streets.. Tucson is really easy to get around once you've been here for a week or two. It's mostly laid out on a grid except around the military and train yards and the outskirts.. But yeah the roads could use some... repair... Hit me up next time you're down here. I would've at least helped you fix your brakes man!

-Eli-

Reason I went there is because I knew finding work would be easy - and it was, I got to work 2 hours after filling out an app, and the warm weather. I do like Tucson, I just hate the bums waking me up at 3am to beg and the fact that places close at 9 and lock the gates - I like my 24 hour grocery stores thank you.

I may very well go back one day, but it will be in a car that's able to comfortably move around big city traffic.

I got home about an hour ago, my girlfriend has been offered a promotion in Redding, so may go there in June.

We gotst the 24-hour hook-up: Fry's at Grant & Alvernon!

As for the rampant potheads--er--holes :D, they're road features designed with driver alertness in mind!

Definitely buzz Eli and I if you're ever on your way to town again.

Reason I went there is because I knew finding work would be easy - and it was, I got to work 2 hours after filling out an app, and the warm weather. I do like Tucson, I just hate the bums waking me up at 3am to beg and the fact that places close at 9 and lock the gates - I like my 24 hour grocery stores thank you.

I may very well go back one day, but it will be in a car that's able to comfortably move around big city traffic.

I got home about an hour ago, my girlfriend has been offered a promotion in Redding, so may go there in June.