Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just had the 2000 OB out in the deep anow we got here in the northeast. I am in awe of how well this plows through Foot deep or more snow. I know my 98 Legacy is great, but just doesnt have the ground clearance to plow through because non of our streets have been plowed here in Scranton. I am glad to see that Subaru hasn't lost its since of dependability and ruggedness over the years and believe that this Outback would stand up to my 82 4WD wagon in the snow anyday!!!

Just had the 2000 OB out in the deep anow we got here in the northeast. I am in awe of how well this plows through Foot deep or more snow. I know my 98 Legacy is great, but just doesnt have the ground clearance to plow through because non of our streets have been plowed here in Scranton. I am glad to see that Subaru hasn't lost its since of dependability and ruggedness over the years and believe that this Outback would stand up to my 82 4WD wagon in the snow anyday!!!

Heheheh,I love how good my 96 is,I wnt through a snow drift that got my freinds 03 Jeep Wrangler Sport stuck...granted he is new to a manual transmission,but still heheheheh.

Mine is stuck. Let me explain. At my college, they plowed us in, and all that pushed snow froze solid--there's a 8-12 inch layer of frozen, pushed snow up against the backs of our cars not to mention ice under the wheels. I cleared my car off, put it in gear, and spun all 4 tires until I could smell rubber. It won't budge. But I don't feel bad because my roommate couldn't move his Explorer with brand new tires either. Not even Subies are invincible.

Brian

Like nipper said, out here in West Jersey we got 3 or so inches of snow and about 2 or so inches of sleet. That in and of itself wasn't a problem.

Yesterday morning when i went to leave, the wonderful plow truck had pushed a couple big blocks of ice right into the driveway. The one in the middle was about 3' by 3'! Can't quite drive through that!!

Like nipper said, out here in West Jersey we got 3 or so inches of snow and about 2 or so inches of sleet. That in and of itself wasn't a problem.

Yesterday morning when i went to leave, the wonderful plow truck had pushed a couple big blocks of ice right into the driveway. The one in the middle was about 3' by 3'! Can't quite drive through that!!

Blow torch?

nipper

Yeah, this stuff is nasty. In Northwest NJ, we got 3 inches of sleet, followed by 3-4 inches of snow with some freezing rain mixed in. Fortunately, I dug out on Wednesday afternoon as soon as it stopped falling, but before it froze solid. Even so, my snow thrower struggled with it. The folks who waited until Thursday or today are having a hard time of it. Even the town crew is is having trouble clearing the park and sidewalks.

One of these :Flame: would help.

HINT: I run my snow thrower about 30 feet down the street, in the direction the the plow comes from. I clear it to the curb. That way, there is nothing for the plow to push into my driveway.

My '99 Outback with Nokian WRs had little trouble getting up my very steep driveway, BEFORE I cleared it off. The unplowed/untreated roads were no problem. I had a little sideways slippage, but steering in the direction I wanted to go and modulating the gas got me back on course. Driving sideways is fun! Subies rule! :headbang:

yeah in south jersey we got abot 3 in then an good layer of ice. my driveway (which is about .7 miles long cuz i live on a farm) melted then froze over again so it was 3 in of just ice. it was like driving on a frozen lake, the car would just start going in any random direction and there wasnt anything u could do about it.....i had to throw some chains on the old tractor with a plow and tear that s**t up!

Here in Western PA we had a real nicemix of snow, ice, then more snow. My '97 OBW went through the unplowed street without any problem. After the city plowed the ice into my driveway I spun a little. I pulled foward, then got a little run and made it through. I could use better tires, mine are more than half gone.

E

i probably wasted about 2 full tanks of gas in the past 5 days, just cruising around the area doing donuts and whatnot.....im glad we got hit with this mess, finally made the studded tires i bought worth it

however, i think i need new struts now b/c of the ************ty road conditions and wicked spins i was pulling :-\ :headbang:

You guys get nasty snow and ice back there. I like the nice soft colorado snow better :grin:

For that ice ridge that the plow pushes up and freezes the car in, I use a machete to hack through it (watch you don't hit the car though). In the rare cases that we get icy stuff, that works great to chop it up.

You guys get nasty snow and ice back there. I like the nice soft colorado snow better :grin:

For that ice ridge that the plow pushes up and freezes the car in, I use a machete to hack through it (watch you don't hit the car though). In the rare cases that we get icy stuff, that works great to chop it up.

Ah ha! Get a shingle shovel (for stripping roofs) at your Home Depot or Lowes. It's compact to get close has pointy teeth and a sturdy woood handle. WORTH EVERY PENNY!