Ultimate Subaru Message Board

on a similar note: is it bad to have the oil changed more often than the 3month/3k rule? I have a small leak that doesn't show significant loss but was curious if I could just change every other month as long as it doesn't cause damage. I know it's not addressing the leak but last I heard it was a rear main problem (according to the mechanic it was taken to before I bought it)

on a similar note: is it bad to have the oil changed more often than the 3month/3k rule? I have a small leak that doesn't show significant loss but was curious if I could just change every other month as long as it doesn't cause damage. I know it's not addressing the leak but last I heard it was a rear main problem (according to the mechanic it was taken to before I bought it)

There is no such thing as too many oil changes or to often. As long as the oil is getting contaiminated, just add oil to the level, and change it when you feel comfortable.

nipper

The last time I took one of my cars to a instant 100.00 bill place I made the decision to just do it myself again from then on after spending all the time rechecking their work.I second or fifth the idea of checking to make sure they didn't drain the wrong fluids and then refilled the wrong part of the power train. Curiously I was just on the general forum and there is a thread about Jiffy lube not changing stuff they charged for,raises a big question about their competence and negligence.My dad has been taking his cars still under warranty to these places for numerous years just to prove his maintenance records if the need ever arises,needless to say i just sent him the link to youtube.

John

I worked at one of those quick lube places back in my high school days. Its scary what happens to peoples cars. They do provide training but it is very minimal. All you can hope is that the person working there has some car knowledge. The other scary thing is the cars the customers bring in. All the time cars would come in and less then 2 quarts of oil would come out when you pulled the plug or the oil had not been changed in a year! I agree, stay away from those places but if you need to use a place like that pick a seat or stand outside so you can watch what is going on. Look under the car and make sure what they are draining is black in color(not red) make sure they put oil in before starting the car, insist on seeing the old filter, and insist on checking the oil level yourself before you leave.

Subarus and Saturns were somewhat common for having the transmissions drained instead of the oil because the AT has a drain plug and spin on filter so for some its hard to tell the difference

I live in an apartment so i dont have anywhere to change my own oil. Is there a replacement plug i could get to make it more clear to the lube guys as to which plug is which? I've had no problems yet but I'd like to prevent them

Almost any shop has a 19.00-29.00 oil change special. Just when they tell you your car needs work, be able to say no. At any shop the oil changes go to the high school kid, the class three mechanic.

nipper

Basically its called find a shop, one you can trust, and keep an eye on them. I use a jiffy lube, but i watch them. I was disapointed in the dealer service since they didnt top off any of the fluids. My regular mechanic gets the oil change if the car needs something else at the same time.

nipper

Okay: First, thank you all for your replies.

I took it to the dealer for its 120K checkup. I drove it for about 3000 miles. I decided to check because I did smell oil, that may have been coming from my car, or it may have been someone elses.

When I checked it with the engine warm, it indicated about 2x the full level. I checked it in several places and all were the same with the engine warm.

I took it to the dealer with a nasty gram. They called later in the day and said that the level was not over FULL and in fact was below FULL. WTF????

So, after work I went in and he showed me the stick. It in deed was below the full mark. It was showing slightly above the 3/4 mark. WTF was going on here??? He said I had to be careful how I read the stick because some of the oil can 'cling' to the side of the stick. YES, I know how to read a stick!

So, I pushed it off on Murphy's Law, not wanting to suggest they changed/drained the oil.

I get home and check it again. It was 2x the level again!!!

I'm an idiot! While at the dealer, the engine was cold.

So, do we check it while warm or cold?

I usually check my oil level when the engine's cold. But, that's because at that time most of the oil has drained out from the top of the head and some of the internal passages, giving a truer reading, IMHO. It's OK to check when the engine is warm, (shortly after being run), but leave enough time for the oil to drain back to the pan.

Oil does not expand very much (if at all) when hot, so the temperature difference should not be the cause of the differences in oil level you are seeing.

Something strange is definitely going on, but I don't know what.

[...]Oil does not expand very much (if at all) when hot, so the temperature difference should not be the cause of the differences in oil level you are seeing.[...]

Oil does expand with increased temperature. The dipstick upper hole is the mark that indicates full when cold, while the notch above it indicates full when hot.

Yes, but that's not the 2X difference mtbe was reporting.
Of course not, it's only a few percent (sorry, I don't have the coefficient of thermal expansion for motor oil at hand :) ). Mtbe has never clarified what point on the dipstick is being called "2x".

2x full (9 quarts) would be practically pouring out the dipstick hole . If the level shows above the full line by "2x", you are actually about one quart over. Just as the low line is one Quart low. Honestly, I hate to say it, but I think you are not giving the car enough time to "drain down" it's oil into the pan, and or reading the stick wrong. There is oil still up in the dipstick tube and baffles for quite awhile after shut off. I think you're dipstick is picking up/scraping off some of this oil. There is no way a cold engine will be at proper level and a warm one "2x" full. Oil doesn't come from thin air. and it doesn't hide until you drive it either. If you're worried go by the cold engine reading as that is the best way to check you're oil

Okay: I do not give it enough time to settle. I will give it some time on my next test, but it will have to wait until I return from China.

When I say 2x, the level was up to the point on the stick where it curves (or bent?), not including the curve...just up to the point where the curve begins.

Okay: First, thank you all for your replies.

I took it to the dealer for its 120K checkup. I drove it for about 3000 miles. I decided to check because I did smell oil, that may have been coming from my car, or it may have been someone elses.

When I checked it with the engine warm, it indicated about 2x the full level. I checked it in several places and all were the same with the engine warm.

I took it to the dealer with a nasty gram. They called later in the day and said that the level was not over FULL and in fact was below FULL. WTF????

So, after work I went in and he showed me the stick. It in deed was below the full mark. It was showing slightly above the 3/4 mark. WTF was going on here??? He said I had to be careful how I read the stick because some of the oil can 'cling' to the side of the stick. YES, I know how to read a stick!

So, I pushed it off on Murphy's Law, not wanting to suggest they changed/drained the oil.

I'm an idiot! While at the dealer, the engine was cold.

So, do we check it while warm or cold?

It doesnt matter man, as long as you dont turn it off and check it within 30 seconds it is ok. I've let it sit overnight and it gives bogus readings. IMHO it's a F'ed up design. There are several reasons outlined in

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21899&highlight=dipstick+overfill

I just checked mine the other day and it showed 2x full when I know it showed it at a normal level just a week ago. Not sure why Subaru even bothered with a dipstick.