Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5-lug swap, Stage3 Clutch, AWD Conver. DONE!

Well its been a LONG 2-days working on this project and I'm happy to say its complete!!!!!

Here's the new mods :

XT6 Full-Time AWD 5-speed Tranny with Diff Lock

FULL 5-lug Conversion (XT6)

XT6 Front and Rear Sway Bars

XT6 Brakes Front and Rear

Impreza Front Springs and Struts

XT6 Rear Springs and Shocks

XT6 Starter

SPEC Stage3 6-puck Clutch

XT6 Flywheel

XT6 Lower Control Arms

XT6 Tie Rods

XT6 Front Ball Joints

XT6 Front and Rear Axles

XT6 Drive Shaft

Modified Dual Range Shifter Assembly to work with XT6 Trans (removed dual range selector from console)

Enjoy I'm Exhausted!

c413627fe8e4.jpg?_rh=7pspkyjqtrok1d17vop9zbmt7

b2a291196f71.jpg?_rh=ecag1wsi3k6z56lavnmgura76

589b5771a4fb.jpg?_rh=9h1rdjyh9gg0a3omlxa3uegrn

bdb81b464ed0.jpg?_rh=bsu254l2vnx3avhu3lc6mnaos

55872268ad1d.jpg?_rh=97c8cc0p89jwo1hpkrr2bzul0

4733faf662b0.jpg?_rh=75o7yvc8dj6y1cnxidw7regca

6702f7eac73e.jpg?_rh=cn84djomu11ooykddxvp77vxq

fcb75e206793.jpg?_rh=mu67tdwjd7wkwlmde1n7jb05

Sweet ride! Shoulda gone with an XT shifter. That would've been cool.

Is that large Tach really necessary?

Yeah it was, shift light is a must, it winds up so fast its hard to keep up with shifting.

The stock tach isnt very easy to read after 6000rpm either and I shift around 7500 ;)

I'm looking at doing something similar on my wagon.

Basically, what I'm seeing is that I need a spare XT6 laying around for parts.

What did you use for the front struts, specifically? I'm hoping to find a set of coilovers for all 4 corners so I can drop it down in the summer/raise it up in the winter.

How's the handling with the rear swaybar? I haven't decided on that aspect yet.

-=Russ=-

I'm looking at doing something similar on my wagon.

Basically, what I'm seeing is that I need a spare XT6 laying around for parts.

What did you use for the front struts, specifically? I'm hoping to find a set of coilovers for all 4 corners so I can drop it down in the summer/raise it up in the winter.

How's the handling with the rear swaybar? I haven't decided on that aspect yet.

-=Russ=-

The Front Strut/Spring Combo is late modle impreza (have to modify the strut to fit the knuckle, spread it slighly and longgate the strut bolt holes)

I did both front and rear sway bars as they are both larger than the ea82's

So far it handles really nice, doesnt understeer anymore and actually has some oversteer :)

How do you find how the car stopswith the xt6 stuff?

and full-time 4wd FTW?

So far even with the crap pads it stops allot better than the new ea82 brakes I had.

I'm going to try swapping the XT6 Master Cylinder to see if its larger to accomidate the larger brakes.

I'll let you guys know how that goes.

So far even with the crap pads it stops allot better than the new ea82 brakes I had.

I'm going to try swapping the XT6 Master Cylinder to see if its larger to accomidate the larger brakes.

I'll let you guys know how that goes.

check over on xt-6.net i put turbo legacy twin piston calipers on my xt6, it stops way to well

The XT6 MC is the same as the rest of the EA82s. If you need a larger MC, Gen 1 non-ABS Legacy ones bolt up and are a bit larger. Just get one with the same number of ports as the early legs had the hill holder too.

The intercooler can be seen here : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-00-Aluminum-Top-mount-intercooler-Subaru-GC8-WRX-STi_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQitemZ150070315609QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

That doesnt include the y-pipe that goes on the bottom to connect it up, that pipe cost around 75 more.

Its the largest top mount intercooler avail for subarus. I know its going to be worth EVERY penny when the weather warms up this summer, we all know EA82's HATE HEAT!

You wont need a different MC...as long as you have good solid pressure from the MC, the stock units are fine.

In order to get the most from the larger XT6 brakes the larger or matching master cylinder is a MUST otherwise you dont get the clamping power that you should.

I wounder if the brake boosters are different as well?

I took allot of Steering and Suspension Classes in College and all of these factors play a big role in the design and operating of the brake system, the slightest change can make a huge difference with brakes.

Congratulations! :)

Very Nice Job, and Very Well Done!, I Like too much your Subie´s Looks!

Really at 7,500 Rpm´s? , on a EA82? :confused:

Its actually less than that but not too far off :)

I usually dont have to shift over 6700rpm unless I want to show off, then I shift around 7k :)

I wounder if the brake boosters are different as well?

I doubt that any difference in the booster would cause any issue beyond a different feel to the pedal. Once you get in it and drive around, you will know how hard you need to press the pedal to stop; if you have to apply too much pressure, then you know you need a larger booster (you wussy, just stand on 'em!)

Personally, I have always wondered if one could just install a hugeass master cylinder (thinking like, 2 1/2 inches) and forego the whole power brake thing entirely.. I havent really talked about it to anyone with a BETTER knowledge than mine in the field of fluid dynamics, though.. and I only know just enough to start getting me into trouble. I am unsure if a larger bore cylinder would actually solve the problem. It might also take a cylinder with a longer stroke, and THAT may be impractical.. which would explain why auto engineers just use a vacuum booster, rather than these other ideas that I have that seem like such better solutions...

any thoughts on THAT? :brow:

Well its been a LONG 2-days working on this project and I'm happy to say its complete!!!!!

Here's the new mods :

XT6 Full-Time AWD 5-speed Tranny with Diff Lock

FULL 5-lug Conversion (XT6)

XT6 Front and Rear Sway Bars

XT6 Brakes Front and Rear

Impreza Front Springs and Struts

XT6 Rear Springs and Shocks

XT6 Starter

SPEC Stage3 6-puck Clutch

XT6 Flywheel

XT6 Lower Control Arms

XT6 Tie Rods

XT6 Front Ball Joints

XT6 Front and Rear Axles

XT6 Drive Shaft

Modified Dual Range Shifter Assembly to work with XT6 Trans (removed dual range selector from console)

How much was that clutch and how does it feel?? A have been looking around for a good one for the twin turbo XT6. Web site? Thanks

How much was that clutch and how does it feel?? A have been looking around for a good one for the twin turbo XT6. Web site? Thanks

Overall im happy with the clutch it is VERY strong.

The pedal effort is just like stock, just a tad more springy but not bad at all.

The engadgment is a bit on the harsh side, but thats to be expected with a 6-puck.

The grip is amazing, I acidently launched it on the launch control at 3500rpm and spooled up to 10psi in 3rd gear and the car stalled instantly!!!! Now thats a strong clutch!

So far so good, we'll see how it holds at the track.