Ultimate Subaru Message Board

sounds just like toyota put a little of there technology into it, but they call it vvti

variable valve timing. for maximum milage and power......its a good system, i`ve driven many toyotas with it.

And toyota stole it from Honda. VTEC came out in 88 in japan.

And toyota's vvti is variable valve timing with inteligence.

How well does it work? Isn't it just more complex stuff to break and cost a lot of money to fix?

Yes, I know what it is... But not the specifics of how it works. Like engaugement, and exactly what it does. I.E. if its like vvti and just varies the timing. Or like vtec and has a seperate lobe for it to kick over into a complete different cam profile. I could talk a monkey through a vtec motor and make it understand. But this car's stuff is new to me.

I bet that's a nice car to drive.. Good pick :cool:

Just because Honda made it, and Toyota stole it (or whatever,) that doesn't have to mean Toyota refined it.. Can't both of them refined it.. Can't two or more companies do the same thing and not be accused to being worse with no explanation?

It's a great idea, why wouldn't all manufactures try doing things like this? And then try making them better? It only makes sence.

The link that nipper referred to talks about varying the timing of the intake camshaft. I thought that the newest engines had SOHC, or did Subaru go back to DOHC?

SOHC, it may just affect the intake lobes. I have to read up more on it. I've been wondering how these differnt methods of valve timing variation will change. Some require the use of oil pressure to do all the work. Will be interesting as they hit 150K or more. Of course if it slowly stops working over time, you may not notice it.

nipper

I bet that's a nice car to drive.. Good pick :cool:

Just because Honda made it, and Toyota stole it (or whatever,) that doesn't have to mean Toyota refined it.. Can't both of them refined it.. Can't two or more companies do the same thing and not be accused to being worse with no explanation?

It's a great idea, why wouldn't all manufactures try doing things like this? And then try making them better? It only makes sence.

Well, my arguement against toyota's version is the "lift bolts" like to wear out and break at about 80-90k on the vvtl-i engines. the vvt-i doesn't have "lift" like vtec so it is virtually trouble free. buy comparing vvt-i to vtec is like apples and oranges. vtec and vvtl-i are both apples, just different colors.

From what I've read avcs is more like vvt-i because of non-variable lift. Just cam timing changes.

The subaru sohc motors do indeed have two cams. One in each head. Our dohc's have four cams total.