Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Problem : Serious Hesitation Issue!

Ok, where do I start :

I have allways had a problem where after taking a long right hand corner by my house at high speeds when I would exit the corner and jump to full throttle the car would buck and hesitiate have not accelerate (Wideband reads LEAN) This only happened when the gas tank was low on fuel around 1/4tank, anything above was ok.

I have since changed the fuel pump to a walbro 255, the problem still existed after, seemed a bit worse tho, so I made a point to keep the fuel level 1/2tank or higher when driving hard.

Tonight I was down on 1/4tank and was out in the back twisties with a buddy in his z06 vette, and I was doing great about 5min in, then the problem showed its ugly face again, so I stopped and filled it up and continued on, the problem persisted! and Now it was doing it even in a streight line!

I'm stumped.

Wideband reads LEAN when this happens and it backfires. Allmost feels like a fuel cut, but that has been deleted with the e-manage ultimate! I also noticed if I load it up in like 5th gear on the highway and spool it up past 10psi or so to pass a truck up a long hill it will do the same thing! less of a load its ok?

Any thoughts?

What does the fuel pickup in the tank look like? Maybe thats it?

Running :

Walbro 255 Inline Pump

New Fuel Filter 6months ago

Dizzy@20deg

Bosch Standard Colder Plugs

e-manage ultimate

td04@16psi

MSD Blaster 2 Coil

I'd say try a set of NGKs. I've heard of Subarus having serious issues (major hesitation/etc) with other plugs.

A bad misfire will usually show up as lean on a wideband - lots of O2 being dumped out the pipe with plenty of fuel, but the O2 sensor won't detect the fuel.

-=Russ=-

Steve,

sounds like you need a surge tank..the gs are causing the intank surge to lose it's fuel so naturally your pump sucks up air and fuel this causes lean condition and fuel starvation and major hesitation..also if your running the stock fuel system feeding the injectors it is known to have bias issues between left and right banks....that's my theory anyway..

hth,

Kaz

... Why run Bosch plugs? I've had problems with them after only a few hundred miles.

Yes, I Suggest the NGK´s BPR6EY11. (The ones with the "Y" Cuted Electrode)

Also I think that maybe you have not only a Dirty Fuel Tank \ Fuel Filter ... Maybe the Return Line / Vent Line are misplaced or bad plugged...

Is this accompanied by any smoke? I know on long right turns oil will make it's way past the baffles in the oil pan and soak the back of the pistons. The baffle is connected solid to the right side of pan, but has notches and a big hole on the left side for the oil pickup tube. Car goes right, oil goes left. Kinda makes the car bog down and produces alot of smoke out the tailpipe. I know all the EA82s do this if you generate enough G force on a long right sweeper.

I don't know why the Fuel level would matter. Maybe you have another issue involving fuel. But hesitation and smoke on long rights is something that has been documented here before. It's from the oil

I had a similar situation and it turned out to be a simple solution...

Change your cap and wires.:banghead:

It's a cheap fix if it's the problem???

You know... it may just be my age and lack of experience..

But I have NEVER had a problem that was solved with a distributor cap, wires, plugs, rotor, fuel filter, air filter, or ANY of that. I always change them first, and my problem NEVER goes away....

O well. I guess its all helping to hone my senses for detecting FI system issues...

Thanks for all the replies guys!!!!

Ok Here's the deal.

I'm using the standard bosch plugs not the +4 crap that most people have issues with.

I agree NGK makes great plugs but at the time I built the engine I needed a plug that was 1 heat range colder than stock for my setup and bosch was the only one that had this for the EA82T (this was at the time) If I find NGK's with a heat range colder I will gladly switch. The cap/rotor are new as well as the wires.

The surge tank sounds like the solution except I also am starting to get this cutting out in a streight line without turning....This leads me to beleave I have some debris in the fuel tank pickup. I'm going to be removing the tank and inspecting it this week sometime and I will let you know.

I have also been told by other Subaru tech's at my work that I may been exceeding the limit of the factory fuel tank enginieering, so a fuel cell might be in order :lol:

The power levels i've extracted from the EA82T are starting to get into the serious catagory hence allmost all the remaining stock stuff is starting to give up LOL :headbang:

Seems like every new mod I add to make even more power just brings other problems with it!

16psi sure is fun tho :)

After I get this issue fixed the turbo will be upgraded to a TD05H-16g :cool: then I will be ready for subiefest.