Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Wide tire thread: 245 and growing....

WJM

So tonight I did 3/4ths of my 5 lug swap, purely XT6 parts exept the front struts...which are D2 racing coilovers with 750lb springs on them.

Ofcourse, I had to grind the XT6 knuckle down to fit.

After that...I just need to get tie rod ends and one ball joint and its done...which i have in my garage.

The only set of wheels and tires I had were:

Rota Tarmac 1, 17x8 (i think the offset is like 52mm or so)

Continental ContiSport Contact 3 in 245/40/17

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ContiSportContact+3

What happen you ask??????????

They fit. No rubbing. Perfect match.

Of course...with 750lb springs in the front and 500lb in the back...its somewhat easy to see why...but, the car is low...so one would think that they would rub. A HARD test drive tomorrow will show if I need to roll the fenders.

YES...there will be pics when I get it all assembled in the front tomorrow.

Ok, rolled the rears, and I raised it about 1/2 an inch just to be safe, as I was getting some light rubbing.

Dscf5363.jpg

Dscf5364.jpg

Dscf5366.jpg

Dscf5367.jpg

Dscf5369.jpg

YES...there will be pics when I get it all assembled in the front tomorrow.

:banana:

I've been debating what tire size to run when I go 5-lug this summer....I think I'm going to use 17" Rota Torques....and was thinking I'd go with pretty much the narrowest tire I would dare on an 8" wide rim...but if wider is possible. AWESOME!

I'm pretty sure anything wider than a 245 and you'd have to start playing with different offsets and seriously rolling/pulling fenders. The 245 Conti on this rim is nearly the perfect match for 'here is the widest stuff you can fit on an RX.'

Its quite the opposite.

What people understand is that making the rear of the car very stiff (either with spring rates or sway bar/tire pressure) makes the car rotate.

What they dont understand is that *THAT* very action makes the car unstable when someone who *KNOWS* how to drive a car, drives that car with the stiff rear.

With suspension setup, you want to BALANCE the car such that it is VERY CONSISTANT in turn in, mid corner AND exit.

In order to do that, you MUST setup the spring rate relation correctly...

If the car has a perfect 50/50 weight balance, then you can do 500/500 springs and in theory, it'll be balanced pretty darn well.

Most SUBARUs have a natual balance of ~60%F/40%R. So setting it up with 60% spring in the front, and 40% in the back balances the car. Now, with cornerbalancing the car to 50.0% cross weight, and doing a PROPER alignment, you will have a SUBARU that drives very UN-SUBARU like.

Well, the D2's are blown up. I found that out going over some speed bumps and the car just bouncing and the shocks making all kinds of fluid sounds.

Also, I didnt roll it enough and cut the *************** outta the tire down to the chord, so I rolled it some more, and the RE070's are going to go on next week.

I need to change the front springs to make the D2's last longer and get back within their range...and install the front/rear swaybars.

I do have +6 caster now...and the ability to adjust from 0 to -4 camber...

SO...much work this comming week.

If you go back to 750/500...are you still going to run bars?:confused: I thought the RX was lighter than an Impreza.....although...with the grip of 245s...you may just roll that piggy onto the tires yet! We found that running slightly higher ride height with the stiffy springs and wide (well, wider than 245) tires worked pretty well. Keep up the good work!

I love my D2s at 600F/450R with no bars. I'm actually running them at or close to full soft all around. Just got done with the FHI LSD install and get to try it out in a couple weeks with fresh 215-50-13s (yes, on an Impreza....Brighton that is). If you actually get to talk to people from D2's distributor...please let me know who you deal with. I can't get an answer to save my life.....:-\

Jay Storm

Yeah, ever since that one guy left D2, they've gone to ************.

No sway bars at this point, they are going back on, and the spring rates are going to come down in the front.

I like the way you're thinking and agree that it is the right way to go. Did I miss the sizes of the swaybars? We ran a couple seasons with 500/500 & 22/24mm bars (F/R) on 245s. It was a great setup. Then we went to 600/600 & 26/26mm bars and 265s. The jump in performance was again as big as when we came from little 225s years back. The same setup with 285-30-18 is just, well...thank god for race seats and harnesses! Too bad that Heartland park is still so slick. We didn't take that into account and the setup was way too stiff for the surface. Awesome on concrete...scary loose on sandy asphalt. My co-driver (and owner) pretty much veto'd the idea of taking the bars off to try get some traction...so I screwed us out of a national trophy by not taking the time to test for super slick courses.

On my little FSP Brighton I tried a 22/__mm bar with the 600/450 springs and didn't like it. No bars seems to be what this car wants, so I'm gonna keep fiddling with springs and shock settings until I'm satisfied. I plan to try out some 215-40-16 as well as the 245-45-16s. I'd love to try a set of the 275-40-15s if I can find a donor (sponsor).....

I don't know what car I'll be in come time for Topeka...but I'll be there in something! See you there?

Jay Storm

No Topkea this year...again...for 08, hope so.

Going back with XT6 stock bars for now, 20mm/20mm.

I do have a spare 27/29 that will go on the front when I get the endlinks made, and likely that will be the end of the swaybar'ness there.

As far as my race rubber, I'll likely use 15x7 K1's with whats left of 225/50/15 V710s, then go with the 225/45/15 Tech RA's.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

My Rota 17x8's were the same way.

However, those 245's were not 'Advan' wide (meaning they actually measured 245 instead of the Yoko Advan tires being advertised as 245 and measuring 255+) and did not protrude beyond the rim too much. The RE070's were the same way.

I did get some rubbing on the inner body work, until i raised the car some. Then it handled like butt hole.

Then i decided to un-5 lug and go back to 4 lug.