Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Are ebay timing belts any good?

I checked at the local parts place and they want around 200 bones for a set of timing belts and tensioners for the EA-82. I can get a PCI set for $60 on ebay or Goodyear for $100. What's the diff? Which set would you all buy?

Jerry

I bought the PCI kit from ebay. Actually, my subi belts were in great shape so I never installed them yet. I regreased my old pullys, worked well. I take the PCI kit with me on long trips. $200 is alot ain't it! They gave me the same jive. Probably no better quality than the PCI.

Correct- DuraLAST would be my LAST choice. And goodyear's cheaper line is not any better.

I'm thinking about buying those as well. I was wondering if that kit comes with the tensioner springs? I tried to time my 90 loyale and the Dang #2 belt keeps on skiping a tooth and the belt is flapping like crazy. I noticed that the spring is missing and the belt was loose. Just wondering. Thank you.

I'm thinking about buying those as well. I was wondering if that kit comes with the tensioner springs? I tried to time my 90 loyale and the Dang #2 belt keeps on skiping a tooth and the belt is flapping like crazy. I noticed that the spring is missing and the belt was loose. Just wondering. Thank you.

My pci kit came complete. Idler pully, tensioners w/ springs and ,of course, 2 belts. How did you tension your belts? The spring does your tensioning, then you lock the arm in place... Maybe try just jamming it up so the belt feels a little tight, then lock the arm (tighten your bolts down). That may work til you get your ebay kit :clap:

Hey, I like your handle "Crown Loyale". Sweet!

I checked at the local parts place and they want around 200 bones for a set of timing belts and tensioners for the EA-82. I can get a PCI set for $60 on ebay or Goodyear for $100. What's the diff? Which set would you all buy?

Jerry

PCI is made in China. Chinese bearings are absolutely the worst bearings on the market. If the belts are the same quality as their bearings, that would be my last choice. Gates invented timing belts back in the 1960's for the OHC Pontiac 6 cylinder engine. If anybody knows how to make long life timing belts, they should since they've been making them for over 40 years....AND they're AMERICAN MADE not made with slave labor in Communist (Red) China. Gates is all I will ever use.

I had (when i first got my car... some of you remember) A CATISROPHIC TEETH STRIPPAGE... with the gators that were in my car. the first week after i got my license.. in the middle of an interection she dies AHHHHH.... but the cause of the teeth strippage was a leak from the water pump... ( i am now realizing that I am telling you my life story) BUT..... The Right Side tbelts were already dryrotting and looked really bad. they were not touched by the coolant. So in the end i replaced it with JDM OEM subaru tensioners andbelts... Shes is running good. apart from the exhaust leaks and other crap thats been going wrong...... ah its nice to be back.. i havnt posted in a long time

That's what I did, but I also noticed that the 1 bolt that is in the channel of the pulley is stripped. I think it's a combination of the car is getting old, and I need to get off my ARSE and show a little TLC. I have an 06 expedition to tie me over until I fix her. The wife will just have to slow down on the yoga for a while.

My pci kit came complete. Idler pully, tensioners w/ springs and ,of course, 2 belts. How did you tension your belts? The spring does your tensioning, then you lock the arm in place... Maybe try just jamming it up so the belt feels a little tight, then lock the arm (tighten your bolts down). That may work til you get your ebay kit :clap:

Hey, I like your handle "Crown Loyale". Sweet!