Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How many miles once the gas light comes on?

What he said. The light is a seperate mechanisim then the gauge, and is 100% repeatable and reliable (as long as the light doesnt burn out).

nipper

Oh cool, I didn't know that! So 2.5 once the light comes on?

What makes it a seperate mechanism fromt the gage? I realize the light is a light and the gage is a gage but is the light tapped into the float in the gastank? or is it a pressure switch or some other transducer?

Oh cool, I didn't know that! So 2.5 once the light comes on?

What makes it a seperate mechanism fromt the gage? I realize the light is a light and the gage is a gage but is the light tapped into the float in the gastank? or is it a pressure switch or some other transducer?

Is is some sort of electronic dodad at the base of the Sending unit bracket. It is shaped like a bullet. It never moves. Its sealed to gasoline so wont get contaminated from sulfur like the fuel gauge will.

The gauge is exposed to gas and gets sulfur contamination, and throws off the gauge.

nipper

I have a 90 Legacy AWD auto wagon. My fuel light comes on at random times anywhere from 1/3 of a tank to empty. And by the time it gets to "E", it's never on. At "E" I usually have about 12 gallons of gas used, leaving 4 gallons?

I will argue that the fuel light is a POS and I'll never go by that thing. I gots on at about 1/3 of a tank and then a couple minutes later it goes back off and does the on off thing whenever it feels like it and by the time the tank is actually down to "E" the light isn't even on.

When i first had Blu, E was 8 gallons. I ran three tanks with Techron, and now E is a respectbale 12 gallons, and below E is 14, then i get a light. I can live with that.

nipper

Where do you get Techron? I can't find anything called that (or claiming the ingrediant) at the local auto parts stores.

Chain autoparts store.

nipper

So far I've checked Canadian Tire, LordCo and Walmart. No luck.

Is Techron the name of the product?

My guage reads empty after 400 km (250 miles) but I can only put in 40 litres (holds 60 litres) at that point. I have never seen my low fuel light come on because I'll only run around on empty for so many days before I chicken out. Most I have put in at one time is 53 litres.

the owners manual will tell you how large your gas tank is. figure your gas milegae and multiply it out...that will give you a base. 15 gallons times 20mpg, you should easily get to 300 miles per tank if you think you can pull 20 mpg, which most soobs do. like nipper said that light is very accurate, i've tested it numerous times...sometimes i've made it and sometimes i haven't!

my best to get to the fuel light was about 100 miles in the obxt :grin:

let's just say this was when i learned the joys of the turbo....

i usually get about 250-300 now-a-days :rolleyes:

and yes... that 100 miles for the 13 gallons till my light turns on... that's like 7.7mpg... :eek:

I typically get 370 miles out of 14 gallons in the 00 OBW. That's about when the light comes on. The owner's manual says the tank capacity is 16.9 US gallons. So with these numbers you could expect 61.86 miles after the light comes on. I have found the light to be consistent and repeatable. Is that redundant?

So far I've checked Canadian Tire, LordCo and Walmart. No luck.

Is Techron the name of the product?

My guage reads empty after 400 km (250 miles) but I can only put in 40 litres (holds 60 litres) at that point. I have never seen my low fuel light come on because I'll only run around on empty for so many days before I chicken out. Most I have put in at one time is 53 litres.

lol when im at 400km i have 10L left.

Check your owners manual.

I had that issue pop up on a road trip.

I had my navigator check the owners manual

and we calculated that we were actually going to make it

to our destination if the book was correct.

It was...:clap:

Normally it would not have been an issue but we were only getting 21 mpg on that trip

On the road.

I get 38 miles in my Turbowagon... I know this cuz I estimated it at 40 and had to push the car 2 miles to the gas station.... (Caboobaroo will remember that one...)

I was getting appox 28-30mpg from my 04 wrx 2.0. I done a mini service last week (after10k miles- I know not good but never found a good time to get her into my garage) now shes easily doing 35+mpg. Gas (petrol) here is now €1.179 a litre or near €5.50 a gallon so this really helps - I do 60miles a day travelling to work alone. All Texaco unleaded in Ireland now contains Techron - pilot market for rest of Europe - no extra cost either!

I was getting appox 28-30mpg from my 04 wrx 2.0. I done a mini service last week (after10k miles- I know not good but never found a good time to get her into my garage) now shes easily doing 35+mpg. Gas (petrol) here is now €1.179 a litre or near €5.50 a gallon so this really helps - I do 60miles a day travelling to work alone. All Texaco unleaded in Ireland now contains Techron - pilot market for rest of Europe - no extra cost either!

US gallons or Imperial? The US uses their own size gallon (4 quarts) instead of the Imperial gallon (5 quarts). 35 MPG works out to 28 US.