Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 Rx + Ej25 + A/c

kingbobdole

Ya I know you could do it. Just adapt some lines to fit the stock ones off of a ej car to your ea car. You did a motor swap I think you can tackle this job. Are you going to convert it to r134 at the same time?

Thats the plan... just not sure if I can use the stock condenser and drier with the legacy compressor.... Don't really want to get custom hoses made but I could.

i didnt have a problem with the stock core and my GL-10 waogn with 134a....

When I swap in my 2.5....I'm going to HAVE to have AC here in Atlanta.

Driving around in 100 degree stop and go traffic....I want it 75 or cooler inside.

Haha, yeah, on every car forum I've been on the "hardcore" engine-swappers always poo~poo people who try keep the 'nice' things, like power steering and a/c.....I've come to the conclusion that they either all live in places with rather mild summers, or below 6000' altitude (hi alt+sunny day=death beams at any temperature). :Flame:

Haha, yeah, on every car forum I've been on the "hardcore" engine-swappers always poo~poo people who try keep the 'nice' things, like power steering and a/c.....I've come to the conclusion that they either all live in places with rather mild summers, or below 6000' altitude (hi alt+sunny day=death beams at any temperature). :Flame:

yeah +1... hey are you coming to the meet on the 29th or so?

As far as my plan goes I might try and grab all legacy stuff and see if that flies... and combine it with the stock condenser and evap....:)

Back in the day it did make some differnce, but on modern cars (read mid 80's on), cars are designed to run as effecient as they can with AC. Most people who dont beleive in AC are the ones who drive trailer queens (or trailer queen wannabes).

Hehehe i only respect them if they dont have AC in thier houses.

nipper

Hehehe i only respect them if they dont have AC in thier houses.

thank you :grin:

I've never had working A/C in any of my own cars. I've got power windows.

I don't live in the hottest part of the country, but it does get very humid, and I work out of my car......put about 400 miles on it a week.

that said, I would someday like to have working A/C. but I don't have a working compressor for this motor, I don't have a condenser that's worth re-using, etc.

There's a meet on the 29th? Hmm, seem to have missed the posting, have to look for it.

A/C is definitely preferred on those days when Mr. Blazing Orb has been cooking the interior and you go to get in~especially when your system still has a full charge of R12 in it like mine :clap: That's really about the only time I use mine actually, I just don't like to run all day with it on for some reason. But it's still very nice to have to get rid of the oven that the car turns into after sitting out in the sun for any length of time.

• 10 months later...
Anyone have A/C on their swapped car? It's blazing hot here and I want it back!:dead:

Did you ever get your AC working with the swap? Or anyone else?

I have the same question, about whether the EJ compressor will work with my EA everything else. Only difference is mine's an 87 EA81 hatch w/ a JDM EJ20G.

Not sure about the plumbing OR the wiring.

EDIT: Another idea: Would it be possible to simply swap clutches and keep the EA compressor, hence avoiding any plumbing/wiring?

there isn't any wiring......one wire to engage the clutch. might have to splice on a different connector.....

I'm sure it would work fine with some custom lines to go from the EJ compressor to the EA system, but the lines themselves are quite different between the 2.