Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My new coupe

So, my brother killed the engine in his 3 door. Tired of it, he went and bought a Saturn. Gave him a couple months, he couldn't get rid of the 3 door, so he gave it to me. I've got an engine almost ready to drop into it.

Its got a bit of rust. Specifically, look at the side of the door:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1153&g2_serialNumber=2

Other side looks fine though:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1164&g2_serialNumber=2

Original engine lasted 215K+ (there was a period of about 1 year with a broken speedo cable...) Hoping the engine I put in will last quite long. Maybe I can get this thing into 300K.

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1179&g2_serialNumber=2

nice coupe mike, still real straight looking

hey nip, if you want another gl coupe, i just this week saw and spoke to the owner of a 87 GL 5sp d/r 4wd in VA Beach for $900. body was in great shape, absolutly no rust exept for the usual windshield corner rust. still had the factory steel wheels with all 4 centers and all 4 mudflaps. working a/c too.

nice score mike, that's great! now call jeff and phil and have them help you fix it! you can call me for...encouragement or something. odd place to rust...kind of mid part of the door, not the very bottom? should be an easy fix or just replace the door some day if you want.

Thats a good looking car Mike, probanly the onley ea82 body style I'd seriously cinsider haveing.
mental lapse, you must of forgot about the XT??? har har, it's late i should go to bed.

• 2 weeks later...
It stopped burning whatever it was burning. No coolant lost, so, must've just had crap in it :lol:

She drives good. Now I need a battery.

i have an old one you can have for free its been sitting for a little bit, but it was good when i pulled it out of the death wedge

i have an old one you can have for free its been sitting for a little bit, but it was good when i pulled it out of the death wedge

She's got a new battery in it. Thanks for the offer though.

A couple things to note about why your car isn't running after you've put a fresh engine it:

That 7 year old battery probably won't have any charge left in it if its been sitting for a 7 months.

If you get the fuel lines on backwards, fuel won't come out of the injector.

The firing order is 1-3-2-4, but that's in a counter clockwise direction on the disty, not clockwise direction.

The brake booster hose will create a large vacuum leak.

Ask me how I know all this.