Ultimate Subaru Message Board

newby has question

jonb8

first off HI all, ive spent all winter working on these rail subbies and the more i learn about them the more i love em, so last night i bought a 87 D/R wagon for my daily driver, my problem is west virginia has bad inspection laws so 3 inch blocks only and that wont clear 27inch tires. so will legacy 5 lug control arms and struts work on my ea82 then i can run outback struts =3 inch blocks+2.5 outback struts = 5 go or no go? THANKS

first off HI all, ive spent all winter working on these rail subbies and the more i learn about them the more i love em, so last night i bought a 87 D/R wagon for my daily driver, my problem is west virginia has bad inspection laws so 3 inch blocks only and that wont clear 27inch tires. so will legacy 5 lug control arms and struts work on my ea82 then i can run outback struts =3 inch blocks+2.5 outback struts = 5 go or no go? THANKS

who told you you can't use 27s with a 3 inch lift? why would you need to use legacy control arms? feel free to use the faq up top, i spent a lot of time putting it together it will tell you that 27s will indeed fit under your car. if you can make it all work it should look pretty cool all said and done who knows, maybe you'll be the very first person to adapt the outback struts and springs to a GL that would be pretty cool. i say try it maybe you'll fail maybe you will not fail. good luck

you can only use the outback struts in the front....you'll still need to do something else in the rear.

MorganM's old PoopenVagon (I owned it for a few months, now a buddy has had it for most of a year) has a 3" kit, with stock struts, and 29" tires...

thanks alot ... I read i could run 27 with 3in lift but i didnt want to deal wit tire rub and just think they look great with alot of wheel well, but cant get away with 6 inch blocks (stupid inspections). SOOOO i can swap a legacy spendle onto a DL and the ball joint and axle splines are the same? im going to cut a hole in the back wheel well and weld in the strut mount off the legacy donor. I was just worried about keeping the front geometry close, because im sure the misses will drive it on snow days. thanks for all the help, im sur by the time this builds over im gonna need it.

saws all it is then. because my new ( to me) dl doesnt have any oil pressure and sounds like the lifters r going to come out of the hood, guess i better start reading up on ej swaps might as well do it right . thanks guys.

saws all it is then. because my new ( to me) dl doesnt have any oil pressure and sounds like the lifters r going to come out of the hood, guess i better start reading up on ej swaps might as well do it right . thanks guys.

Maybe read up on the "mickey mouse gasket"?

Gasket/seal, maybe a set of lifters, seems easier (cheaper? faster?) than an EJ swap

thanks alot ... I read i could run 27 with 3in lift but i didnt want to deal wit tire rub and just think they look great with alot of wheel well, but cant get away with 6 inch blocks (stupid inspections). SOOOO i can swap a legacy spendle onto a DL and the ball joint and axle splines are the same? im going to cut a hole in the back wheel well and weld in the strut mount off the legacy donor. I was just worried about keeping the front geometry close, because im sure the misses will drive it on snow days. thanks for all the help, im sur by the time this builds over im gonna need it.

might be easier to use a longer shock instead of modding the DL to fit the legacy strut. I used front struts from an outback on my lifted BRAT and then I used shocks from a chevelle http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31761&highlight=chevelle+shocks

You might be able to find some shocks that will for with the EA82 set up.

BW

might be easier to use a longer shock instead of modding the DL to fit the legacy strut. I used front struts from an outback on my lifted BRAT and then I used shocks from a chevelle http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31761&highlight=chevelle+shocks

You might be able to find some shocks that will for with the EA82 set up.

BW

I may have found just such an application......hopefully my junkyard run this afternoon will be successful.

more details to come :-p

Thanks everyone, I took the oil pump off another motor and a small tube sleeve fell out, I looked at the back of it and theres 2 holes in it does anyone no which one it goes in and which way, hole in or out? Well the reason I wanted to go with the legacy struts is the adjustable camber, the legacy has an inner steel structure in the rear that (i think) I can cut out and weld in my DL. RT 250 auto has used outback struts for $40.00 a piece. Oh yea one more question will the rear spendle off of a 95 legacy wagon swap onto my DL? LOoking into a full 2x2 box tubing frame like we do on our buggies i dont know how to attach pictures but there in jbain8 photo gallery. Thanks again JON B.