Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I wish the drivetrain would last like the engines

I have a 1996 Legacy Brighton 5 speed for reference.

I've got some major drivetrain issues. First, my steering wheel wobbles left to right at low speeds. I think this is due to the torn CV boot and resulting screwed up CV joint.

Next, I think I have torque bind. All the tire are the same size and seem to have the same amount of tread left, but one is a completely different brand. The car make a whirring noise as speed increases and the car kind of pulsates when I make a corner at speed. Nothing noticable at lower speeds and no dificulty turning.

I was thinking about replacing the CV Joint/Boot, getting 4 new tires, replacing the diff fluid and tranny fluid with Amsoil Severe Gear. If this doesn't solve things, what else will I need to replace?

A CV on the way out will cause just the issues your describing. Replace it with a new one, not a reman, many of those are shoddily done and may not last.

Replacing the gear oil won't solve any center diff problems, it's a sealed unit.

Not that it's a bad idea to change the gear oil every now and again.

You have to measure the odd tire. Tires can vary in size from brand and mfg within the same size.

Measure the circumfrance.

The drivetrains last, if you take care of them. Parts do wear out, thats normal. Nothing lasts for ever, otherwise they wouldnt make replacemnt parts.

nipper

I bought the car as is not too long ago. When I say as-is, I mean 1 odd tire and lots of noise. The previous owner wasn't that bright and I doubt the diff's were ever seviced. I just figured the tech could change the fluid while he had the car up. I've also read on here that Severe Gear quiets things down alot if that is indeed where some of the noise is comming from.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow!

That is the best parts locater site I have seen!!!

Someone should add it to the Ultimate Subaru Repair Manual!!:clap:

all the other ones I have tried simply let me give my e-mail to junkyards 700 miles away so that could send me useless e-mails for a week (shipping would be as much/more than the part!):Flame: then give up.

Awesome, thanks for the link!

Wow!

That is the best parts locater site I have seen!!!

Someone should add it to the Ultimate Subaru Repair Manual!!:clap:

all the other ones I have tried simply let me give my e-mail to junkyards 700 miles away so that could send me useless e-mails for a week (shipping would be as much/more than the part!):Flame: then give up.

you guys must be new. welcome to the party. :banana: :banana: :banana:

I'm just gonna chime in with owning a 95 Legacy brighton 5spd... 206,000 miles. Engine has only ever had seals and belts, runs like a champ, no oil usage or burning. Transmission had original fluid in it when I got the car at 150k miles. Finally at 180k I had to replace the main bearing on the input shaft of the tranny due to excessive noise, but I can gaurentee that was due to poor maintanence of the previous owner. Othen than that just normal things.

I have a 1996 Legacy Brighton 5 speed for reference.

I've got some major drivetrain issues. First, my steering wheel wobbles left to right at low speeds. I think this is due to the torn CV boot and resulting screwed up CV joint.

If your steering wheel wobbles it could be due to a seperating tire/bulge int he tire, have you looked ovet the tires?

Next, I think I have torque bind. All the tire are the same size and seem to have the same amount of tread left, but one is a completely different brand. The car make a whirring noise as speed increases and the car kind of pulsates when I make a corner at speed. Nothing noticable at lower speeds and no dificulty turning.

Once again check the tires.

I was thinking about replacing the CV Joint/Boot, getting 4 new tires, replacing the diff fluid and tranny fluid with Amsoil Severe Gear. If this doesn't solve things, what else will I need to replace?

replace the cv joint reguardless but also check the tires for any abnormalitys, if there indeed is something wrong with a tire replace all 4.