Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA 82's fat smokescreen???

I have an 87 subaru DL SPFI wagon that's doing something really wierd. When I'm on a big sweeping on/off ramp in third gear at about 3k or so and hold it steady throughout, then upshift to enter the highway I get this bigass smokescreen and my car bogs. If I put the clutch in and rev her up it clears out and then I can go on my way. I'm not burning any oil or water on a daily basis while it's running. I first noticed this when I changed the PCV valve and I'm wondering if the new one is faulty. Anyone got any ideas about this one?

Thanks

Chris

Yup, sounds like a faulty PCV valve.... Or could just be the nature of the boxer engine -- a long right turn the engine oil all flows sideways into one cylinder bank -- if you park the car at a severe tilt for a while it'll smoke for a while upon startup too. I note this very rarely on mine though -- light smoke for a long right turn on freeway, and the only other time I've noticed it was when I stuck it in a ditch at a 30 degree side angle for a few hours before getting pulled out.

Z

This is one of two things (and its not unusual). Its either the pcv valve or the valve stem seals.

It takes very little oil to make a hell of a lot of smoke. Mine did the same thing, but only on one ramp specifically.

nipper

There was a recall that addressed this issue with the early SPFI's. The fix is a change in the size of the port in one of the plastic connectors for the breather system, and a cap that blocks off a hole in the intake boot. It's a really simple fix that you can pickup off any early 90's Loyale at the junk yard. Just look at how the breather hoses are routed at the intake boot and you will see what peices you need to replace.

GD

. Just look at how the breather hoses are routed at the intake boot and you will see what peices you need to replace.

GD

i have one i have not installed yet. i can dig it out and take picture for you if you need to see it. if that would help.:cool:

Should I be able to just call a local dealer and get this recall kit? I guess it would probably be easiest to just snag it at the junkyard, but if I can get new pieces for free, so much the better.

How have I never heard about this before?

Thanks for the responses...so it sounds like an easy fix, but I'm not sure if I know exactly where your talking about. Dragonfire if your still up for taking those pictures that'd be great. Are these kits still available fro the dealer? Is this something that can be fabricated? I'll try the junkyards around here and see if any have subies

Thanks

Chris

I'm not sure this was a recall: it may have only been a TSB. Either way, the time period has lapsed on doing that fix for free. You used to be able to get the kit for about $7 but I think that price is history too.

I do believe they are still available from dealers because the SPFI engine was sold through '94.

Junk yard's your best bet. (Oh, and replace the PCV valve with a Genuine one at the same time.)

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com