Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can my hood scoop be made functional: 98 OBS?

Hi all, just picked up a 98 OBS and I know nothing about Subarus but plenty about modifying and maintaining cars in general. Seems to me like there should be a way to make that hood scoop help get more/cooler air to my intake etc. My hood has block off plates on the scoop and vents. Can someone explain all this to me?

Here's a pic of the new ride :headbang:

Subby1_resize_resize.JPG

Yes and no. Yes it can be made functional, but it will hurt things in the long run. First off there is nothing under the hood that will benefit from doing this. The air induction is done via the right front fender area under the hood towards the front of the car. Opening up the scoop will result in more drag (possibly lower mpg and more wind noise). If you live in a snow belt, snow and ice can accumilate under the hood. Rain can also get under the hood. Surprisingly the hood is a relativly dry place (even in a monsoon).

Functional factory hood scoops take all this into account

i took the backing plate out on my impreza long ago. granted, mine is a 2000 impreza, so i dont have a maf. thats why i am able to run my air filter right off of the throttle body under the hood scoop. the only time ive ever had any problems was when i was at highway speeds directly behind a semi truck in rain so hard that i could barely see past my hood. then all i got was a check engine light saying that my cats werent working as well as they should.

A few thoughts on the matter:

* Convert the scoop area into a warming oven.

* Mount a friggen monster air horn in the scoop (no one can hear that weak OE Subie horn).

* Mount amber LEDs on the face of the scoop plate spelling out "!ffo ssiP" -it's a mirror thing- and flash them on and off when your angry at the person in front of you.

* Rub off the Sport logo and glue a few WRX, STI badges arond the vehicle.

*Plaster the car with 'Elect Kerry/Edwards' stickers and Jesus fish while you live with the fact that you've purchased a car with a worthless, pretentious pie hole on its hood.

Sorry, but it is no secret that I can't stand the fake scoops on Subies.

Juan

A few thoughts on the matter:

* Convert the scoop area into a warming oven.

* Mount a friggen monster air horn in the scoop (no one can hear that weak OE Subie horn).

I've noticed that, air horns are definitely on the menu

* Mount amber LEDs on the face of the scoop plate spelling out "!ffo ssiP" -it's a mirror thing- and flash them on and off when your angry at the person in front of you.

Actually, the reason I bought this car, with the auto trans, is that I currently drive waay too aggressively. My goal is to be mellow, not continue on my anti-social path.

* Rub off the Sport logo and glue a few WRX, STI badges arond the vehicle.

The sport logo bugs me, it will be coming off. I don't need any more badges though, the additional HP they add I won't be needing.

*Plaster the car with 'Elect Kerry/Edwards' stickers and Jesus fish while you live with the fact that you've purchased a car with a worthless, pretentious pie hole on its hood.

Yeah, I couldn't believe it either. It's like factory rice. I think I may try to devise something that will direct air into the engine but let water pass through or something.

Its that they wanted to give us the looks of a wrx, but not the power. The 91-94 Turbo Legacy just simply didn't do it for american buyers. So FHI wasn't going to make the same mistake twice.

But hey, if ya'll hate the scoops and stuff. Don't buy an RS or obs. buy an L coupe or wagon. Don't go throwing off on stuff that other people like just because you don't like them. With that said air horns are gay.

Tranny cooler for your 4EAT

Works quite well for my POS :grin:

That's what i was thinking for my obs... before i put it on the front end :-p

get a massive one and throw it under there, and seal it right up w/ some foam stuff, people will think you're sporting a turbo under there, until they go to race you, and destroy you :-p