Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Aftermarket Gauges??

Ok, after work today I'm going to buy a water&oil gauge for my 85 GL wagon that has the EJ22 in it. From reading posts on here I need metric reading gauges, RIGHT?? I was wondering what gauges everyone else was using. Any input would be great!! Thanks

Tony~

P.S. I just want to buy the right ONES!! Thanks again:)

Metric reading gauges? Where did you hear that? BGD? LOL.

Standard reading gauges are fine. What you may have to do tho is tap out where the sending units go. I had to do this on my RX for the oil and water gauges. Quite simple really, the tap size is usually a 1/4 20. And the kits usually come with adapters and such. I'm using a electrical oil gauge as the turbo gets things to hot and I dont want a mess from a melting plastic oil line. Yes I know I can use copper, actually have some. But its a pita to run to a A pillar gauge pod:-p

Btw, I got my gauges on ebay. They are made by Glow Shift and have 7 different colors, etc.

I would think that any gauge would work... the part that would probably have to be metric would be where the sensor threads in if you were replacing the stock sensor with your aftermarket one. I don't see why it should make a difference if your gauge is reading Fahrenheit or Celsius...

**Typed while Turbone was typing**

Just remember two things, the first is you get what you pay for. Lowest price means low quality gauges. Secondly ebay is not always the cheapest place to get thing. SHop around and you may do better.

Personally I would stick with name brand gauges.

nipper

Ok so seens I know what wire from the ecu is my water temp, and what wire is the oil light cant I use Electrical gauges?? are do I have to use mechanical sending gauges?? It seems like I should be able to use electrical gauges, because I'm tieing them right into the ecu wires. Any thought?? Thanks

Tony~

Ok so seens I know what wire from the ecu is my water temp, and what wire is the oil light cant I use Electrical gauges?? are do I have to use mechanical sending gauges?? It seems like I should be able to use electrical gauges, because I'm tieing them right into the ecu wires. Any thought?? Thanks

Tony~

well, you might be able to get a temp gauge to work with the stock sender (although I know you can get the stock temp gauge to work...), the oil light is just an on/off. if the oil pressure is low, it completes the circuit, grounding that wire. hook up a light to it, and you'll have an oil light. anything else and you'll need a different sender. although you can certainly reuse that wire (that wire I marked is the same one that goes right to the sender under the alt, nothing between it).

and neither of those wires go to the ECU, they come straight from the engine.

Ok so is it just splice in the oil wire right to a light?? does that one wire act as a ground and power that comes from the ecu, or do I splice the oil wire to the light and then a wire from the light to a 12v source?? and would it be a electircal or mechanical for the water temp, thats saying I found one to work. what do I need to look for, because I want to use a aftermarket gauge??

Tony~

P.S. sorry for reasking these questions, but I'm the biggest dumba$$ when it come to wiring!!!

You do know that you need to use some sort of adapters to install the sending units. The oil pressure sender is easy enough, thats just a tee fitting. The water temp sesnor someone ealse will chime in on.

nipper

Water temp sensor is easy. A few bucks at home depot for some fittings and you can T it in to one of the heater hoses.

i did an oil gauge but it is non eletric. i just ran the white oil line from the old sending unit. i had to buy extra line to run it along the fender to the rubber gasket. and it is powered through the fuse box. with its own ground. i have mounted it in the cubby hole on the left side of the steering wheel perfect for viewing while driving. i am in the process of adding volt meter and temp gauge next. but when i complete this they will all be eletrical and in the center console under the stereo. going to use auto meter gauges. yes they are exspensive but i think my poor gl need some lovin some times. the one have now cant remember the name brand but it changes seven different colors. i think it is wave managment if remember correctly. cheap but it does the job. plus the stock gauge kept freaking out, no oil pressure at 70 mph, but i had 50 psi at idle. so that required the change. damn sorry so long winded. my bad.