Ultimate Subaru Message Board

05 Outback xt, CD player dead,

Hi all,

I make a habit of posting any issues with my 05 outback here.

Its going into the Subaru dealer today for a new radio. The CD player stopped reading disks.

Why Sube went with this integrated dash beats the heck out of me. The stock deck is nothing great. You cannot change it if you wanted too.

The deck lasted about 2 years, or 45k miles.

I plan on asking for an upgraded model with an MP3.

Yeah, I know

Big but here-

As of yet there is no face plate for the integrated climate and audio system.

The one they do make is for the regular outback not the limited.

If you do know of something for the limited I would appreciate knowing more.

Thank goodness for the extended warantee. Already its saved me money on wheel bearings.

Do you have an xt?>

If you do not have automatic climate control, Crutchfield has a kit that allows you to install standard DIN units.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-DAXeZ6qxFyp/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=112200&I=120998901

If you do have automatic climate conrol, everything I've seen says you're stuck with the factory stereo.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, there are DIN and double DIN center consoles available that fit between the HVAC vents, replacing the cubby (where the factory nav system goes). Rallitek sells them:

http://www.rallitek.com/leac.html

There are aftermarket kits out now i think that will let you upgrade.

Subaru is not the only one to do this.

nipper

The turbo models all have the automatic dualzone climate control as far as I know, and the Head unit and climate control are all one physical electronic unit. No one has made a replacement for it yet. I've been looking for some time now. This issues and '05 being the first year for the 5EAT and the sport shift were the two determening factors for me buying an extened warranty on my '05 LGT.

Keith

Took it in this morning, the service manager said the mp3 version radio from the 06 outback will not fit the 05.

So looks like I am stuck with it.

Also if you live in SF be aware that Ron Price Subaru is a major hassel.

They charged me for and oil change and tire rotation. $80! They did not even rotate the tires. I know cause being a former mechanic I know how people can cheat. I marked the tires too

Took it in this morning, the service manager said the mp3 version radio from the 06 outback will not fit the 05.

So looks like I am stuck with it.

They are lying!!!! Take a look over here.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12608

The subaru part number for the headunit that plays MP3s is 86201AG63A Since the Owners manual is misleading on the MP3 thing I would push to get this unit installed if you can.

Keith