Ultimate Subaru Message Board

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw an 08 OBS the other day and I wouldn't call that quirky, I'd call it Fugly. Now the bugeye WRXs, those are quirky looking beasts. The only car I can think of that it looks like is a European Carolla hatchback. I think we can all agree that since at least the Gen 1s, people have complained that most new 'rus were not the best to look at. As time passed however people's opinions have not changed, the weird subaru people have just come out of the wood work and started loving these old ugly cars. :banana:

I like my EA81 Turbo wagon because in most places I go my car looks like nothing else (Except in Bellingham, which I'm convinced is the EA81 capitol of the world). It is also better engineered than many cars of similar vintage.

And then they put the spare in the trunk starting with the EJ's... no longer a Subaru!!! [/sarcasm] :rolleyes:

Actually starting with the XTs, but I digress.

Anyway, that's a valid argument honestly. I can understand getting upset about the spare tire not being under the hood anymore, because that too was something uniquely Subaru. I can understand calling the EJs "less" of a Subaru because of that.

But now... EVERYTHING is gone. All in one fell swoop.

Let me remind you all... I've driven an 08 WRX. I'm not just speculating here; I've actually experienced it. And I understand that not everyone is going to be upset about this (in fact, very few people will), but it didn't feel like a Subaru to me. It didn't have any of those quirks that I like about Subarus.

I think alot of this has to come down to personal preference...wether you feel the "quirkie" thing is appearence or performance or just the little things.

I personally feel that my Impreza has no "quirkiness" to it..I find it boring and plain and lacking something...maybe personality?But its my daily driver ..thats what I wanted it for and I love it..just trying to give it some personality.

My XT6...Now that is "quirky" ..Like someone mentioned on the XT6 sight...its a sheep in wolfs clothing.

The 08 is starting to grow on me abit..I havent driven one yet..but the styling is growing on me...

Basically..its all what you want the car for... You want something for Daily drivingthat dependable..there is nothing worng with getting an 08..there are or will be plenty of aftermarket parts available to add some individuality to it. You want "quirk" you keep and older one around for those days you just want to be different...Thats what I do with my XT6...drive it once a week just for fun...take it to shows etc..the rest of the time I use my Imp.

If I could afford an 08 Imp would I buy it??? Damn Skippy! Its actually a nice car ( Not as sexy as that 08 Turbo Outback Wagon I looked at though:slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber: )

Like I said..It all comes down to personal preference.My person favorite Subaru is an EA82 wagon ( many people hate them and think this is better or thats better) But thats MY choice...if we all felt the same and thought the same and liked the same and hated the same...it would be a pretty boring world

Frankly I could care less about looks. I'm an engineer and as such I care almost entirely about functionality. The fact that some models are quirky is a DRAWBACK in most cases, but I happen to live in an area of the country where they are/were popular and so mostly it's not an issue. If I lived in an area where Subaru's were not plentiful in the junk yards I would drive Toyota's and wouldn't blink an eye. The engineering quality is what matters and Toyota's are just as good.

Subaru's are my choice because they are (in order of importance to me):

1. 4WD and AWD.

2. Inexpensive to own and work on.

3. Easy to work on.

4. Accesible in my area.

5. 4 wheel independant suspension.

Nothing else really matters. I drive a 94 Legacy wagon because it's all-weather, hauls my tools and parts, it's pre OBD-II, reliable, cheap, and doesn't draw attention from the authorities. It's not a huge pain in the neck to repair on the odd occasion that it needs work, and parts are accesible here in the junk yards.

I don't think that has changed so much - even with the 08's. And when they are 10 to 15 years old I will probably pick one up (assuming I still live in Subaru country).

GD

it didn't feel like a Subaru to me. It didn't have any of those quirks that I like about Subarus.

Like hesitation? A bit of piston slap mebbe?.... OOH OOH it Didnt have torque bind?

I joke...but seriously, almost exactly the same things happened with the Skyline, Civic, Accord (not so much), Corolla. These jap car companies are just changing the styles to the new level and i respect that.

...unlike Porsche who will keep facelifting the 911 till doomsday

...unlike Porsche who will keep facelifting the 911 till doomsday

Thats because it works. I see more 911's winning races than Subarus.

Like GD said, maybe in 10 or 15yrs I'll pick up a cheap and thrashed WRX for cheap :-p

Heres something to ponder, maybe I should start a whole nother thread on it.

What if Subaru was German made???

Frankly I could care less about looks. I'm an engineer and as such I care almost entirely about functionality. The fact that some models are quirky is a DRAWBACK in most cases, but I happen to live in an area of the country where they are/were popular and so mostly it's not an issue. If I lived in an area where Subaru's were not plentiful in the junk yards I would drive Toyota's and wouldn't blink an eye. The engineering quality is what matters and Toyota's are just as good.

Subaru's are my choice because they are (in order of importance to me):

1. 4WD and AWD.

2. Inexpensive to own and work on.

3. Easy to work on.

4. Accesible in my area.

5. 4 wheel independant suspension.

Nothing else really matters. I drive a 94 Legacy wagon because it's all-weather, hauls my tools and parts, it's pre OBD-II, reliable, cheap, and doesn't draw attention from the authorities. It's not a huge pain in the neck to repair on the odd occasion that it needs work, and parts are accesible here in the junk yards.

I don't think that has changed so much - even with the 08's. And when they are 10 to 15 years old I will probably pick one up (assuming I still live in Subaru country).

GD

I agree, in the same somewhat soulless manner.

In addition, my pretty simple requirements are:

6: Disc brakes, although drums last llonger and give adequate casual performance, so my 99 FOrester still fills the bill.

7: Airbags, so I never expect anyone to ride in my really old junk.

But as to quirks, yes, you can call them that. I prefer so think of them as singular correctable yet regrettable glaring flaws.

8. The leaky separator plate issue on certain years. Huge expensive job for a cheap part.

9. Passenger inner CV boot failure, however, I can't see abetter way.

10. Exhaust rattles. Makes expensive car sound cheap.

Others are uncorrectable, or don't need correction, or are not mechanical faults at all.

11. Engine noise, which I'm sure has been mentioned. These buggers are noisy, that's all there is to it, and in a symbol obsessed society, where the tradition of the supremacy of silent engines still lives, it's a little hard for many to handle. I like it. Makes them cheap in the secondary market. Only the wise know. I think engine noise is the biggest 'daily' quirk.

12. Confidence in the rain. I confess, it feels a little odd to just drive at normal speeds when everyone else seems to be hampered. Here in Chicago, of course, the change of seasons induces panic in all the scampering commuter mammals.

13. I have to throw in "user serviceable", as the cars seem uniquely designed to be servicable even in difficult and remote conditions. The drivetrain breaks down into just enought small enough components that can be brought in by camel if necessary. I think that's why the Forester remains pretty unchanged in the lineup. If I lived in some bush country with limited road access, that would be my nice car. Not my truck, but my nice car.

If we want to discuss the "quirks" of Subaru, ...

The name,

SUBARU!

The seven star logo!

I think the new Impreza (quirky name) was designed to attract new buyers by having its appearance appear similiar to the other Asian cars, they didn't design it for the mid-20 boy racers who like their cars appearance to resemble a bull dog chewing on a wasp, or the infamous bug-eyes.

Where did Subaru come up with the quirky name Forester anyway?

The objective of ALL car manufacturers is to sell cars and Subies offer mechanical items the others don't or charge much more extra (VW with 4motion and Audi with quattro) Please forgive me for mentioning the germans in the presence of all that is Holy that is Subaru.

12. Confidence in the rain. I confess, it feels a little odd to just drive at normal speeds when everyone else seems to be hampered. Here in Chicago, of course, the change of seasons induces panic in all the scampering commuter mammals.

I hate to rain on our parade (pun intended), but while you can GO in adverse conditions, you can't always STOP. Gotta slow down when roads are slick, no matter how good your traction control.

I met a tow truck driver who has a love hate relationship with SUVs. See, he loves it when cocky drivers of SUVs and AWD vehicles go off the road because he collects more money from them for getting them out of the ditch. He hates them because they go further into the ditch and he has to get them out and it's a huge pain in the butt, hence the extra money.

Here's a great article the 08 Impreza WRX with a sense of humor about Subaru loyalists:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/21/automobiles/autoreviews/21IMPREZA.html?ref=automobiles

Here are some choice quotes:

"...Mona Lisa was no Monica Bellucci. Even so, you would never fiddle with the Mona Lisa’s looks..."

"...With apologies to its zealous owners — their vision was apparently too clouded by speed to notice — the original WRX was one of the homeliest cars around..."

"...The redesign of the WRX is clearly aimed at expanding its appeal. But the loyalists are not happy, blogging that this WRX, whether the sedan body or a new five-door hatchback, is ugly. Coming from WRX fans, that’s a bit like Chef Boyardee griping about the food in Tuscany:lol: ..."

"...I think what’s behind some fans’ allergic response is that the WRX no longer looks anything like a WRX, or much like a Subaru..."

I don't care though. I'll stick with my bugeye 02 Rex until this fugly un-Subaru phase passes.