Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Check it out guys and gals.....On my way to work, I managed to miss a small dog on the side of the road. About 1 mile later a deer jumps out, I missed the deer but lost control and hit a concrete bridge wall around 55mph. Thank God Subarus are made well.....or this would have really hurt!

I cant afford the fix, So keep an eye out, it will soon be a great parts car.

**Check out my photos**

post-20400-136027625349_thumb.jpg

Probably would have been cheaper to hit the deer. Next time jerk the wheel and e-brake so you smack the vermin with the side so they don't come up over the hood.

GD

I should have, I passed 7 more deer on the way back home...Just a week before I bought those stupid animal deterrent things to put on the bumper, cost me $8.....those things suck!..should ask for my money back!...lol.....(Look at the pic, they are still on it) :)

I should have, I passed 7 more deer on the way back home...Just a week before I bought those stupid animal deterrent things to put on the bumper, cost me $8.....those things suck!..should ask for my money back!...lol.....(Look at the pic, they are still on it) :)

Maybe you should have bought the concrete bridge wall deterrent things too.:-\

Sorry about your ride.

When those deterrent things were first sold they worked great, but now the deer are used to them. Here in Virginia the state police did a test of their usefulness. They put them on half of their cars and had the same number of deer strikes on either category.

All they do now is make horses upset when you get behind a trailer.

....hit the deer, and the insurance company does NOT hold you responsible for the accident. So, no increase in your car insurance.

Hit something while trying to miss a deer, and the insurance company WILL charge you with the accident.

Me, I'm hitting the deer.

When I was child my father was parked outside church waiting for my mother to finish a meeting. A woman dirving in the opposite direction swerved to miss a dog and hit my dad's car head on. He went thru the windshield and ended up in the hospital for six weeks.

I will do my best to slow down, but I will not swerve to avoid an animal. I have hit a few critters in my time, but the worst that has happened was the stink from the skunk I squished. That went away in a few weeks.

If you are going to hit the animal and you are breaking let off the break just prior to impact. This brings your front end up and helps to keep them from coming in the windshield. Hopefully this won't happen to you again.

Glad to hear that you are okay.

I know animal lover people that will lock up the brakes to miss a squirrel :dead::rolleyes:

Me, I speed up and aim directly where they are... because by time I get there it should be where they aren't. :)

Statistics, the theory of relativity and the chaos theory support my methods. ;)

I know animal lover people that will lock up the brakes to miss a squirrel :dead::rolleyes:

Me, I speed up and aim directly where they are... because by time I get there it should be where they aren't. :)

Yeah that works until the darn thing gets to the otherside and turns around in a panic and runs BACK in front of you.

Here in NJ, they were running radio ads telling people to NOT swerve for deer. Swerving causes more damage to humans, cars and other objects, than just hitting the deer.

This is true until the partially dead deer sitting in your passener seat wakes up and mauls you. It happens a lot.

This is true until the partially dead deer sitting in your passener seat wakes up and mauls you. It happens a lot.

That's when you take out that mag light and bash it.

I almost rear ended a stupid Prius that slammed on it's brakes for a possum.

I guess I should have expected the tree hugger to do something like that.

BW

the mauling is an urban myth. Rarely will a deer be large enough to penetrate the windshield. If it does you have other worries.

Here in Iowa, where we have a heavy deer population, I have seen more then once: Where one has rolled over the hood, and smashed through the windshield killing the occupants.

No, unless I am in a semi, I am swerving- Away from traffic if possible.

I have a near miss, once year at least. Luckily no accidents so far.

It's so easy to give advice of what to do when a large animal is in your path, but reflexes tend to take over and thinking back to what someone told you to do doesn't typically occur. The typical reflex is to avoid, which is the case here.

I used to be the shop foreman for a company called 'The Truck Outfitters', they sell aftermarket truck accessories. Those deer whistles came in one day and I thought they were pretty tacky, so I checked them out online. It turns out that the noise they make can make an animal curious as to what it is, which can actually attract them to come and see. Oops. :lol:

Sorry about your ride m8, time to start shopping for the BBD!

It's so easy to give advice of what to do when a large animal is in your path, but reflexes tend to take over and thinking back to what someone told you to do doesn't typically occur. The typical reflex is to avoid, which is the case here.

!

You are right on the mark with this statement....It is common knowledge to always hit the damn animal. However, it's also a common reaction to swerve.... :grin: Guess it depends on the driver though.

Yeah that works until the darn thing gets to the otherside and turns around in a panic and runs BACK in front of you.

And what are the chances of that happening... as opposed to swerving and losing control just to hit something else harder, larger, and more lethal.

I think its good practice to drive straight at animals. My reflexes will be better trained for deer incidents. Plus you can just call it Darwin at work if they don't move.

Most deer crash deaths and serious injuries occur when motorists veer to avoid hitting deer.

I think it was North Carolina that did a study on deer accident mortality. You were like 80 times more likely to die by swerving than just hitting the stupid animal. Its very rare for them to come through the windshield and cause a mortality. Trees on the other hand don't give a *********73 and will just kill your butt.

Too bad about the tough little Impreza. Ouch. Glad you're O.K.

Deer in corn country (Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, etc.) are no joking matter. These +250lb corn-fed monsters have killed people by going through the windshield. Scrawny East Coast deer that run up and down the hills are speed bumps that mess up your paint job. The swerve/don't-swerve decision depends on where you live and what you're driving. Of course, easier said than done. I think it’s just a natural self-preservation reflex that makes one swerve – unless you’re some sort of psychopath accustomed to mowing down pedestrians…

I never speed or "lead the pack" at night anymore in deer country but now try to have a semi (or some other fool) ride point for me. I had a close encounter with a herd of deer at +80mph at night. The I somehow missed all of them. I swear I drove the rest of the way at 40mph. I find that good fog lights expand the peripheral view of the road and illuminate roadside deer that ordinary headlights/hi-beams miss.

Don't get me started on squirrels. I swear they purposely target cars and bicyclists to get them to crash.

Too bad about the tough little Impreza. Ouch. Glad you're O.K.

Deer in corn country (Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, etc.) are no joking matter. These +250lb corn-fed monsters have killed people by going through the windshield. Scrawny East Coast deer that run up and down the hills are speed bumps that mess up your paint job. The swerve/don't-swerve decision depends on where you live and what you're driving. Of course, easier said than done. I think it’s just a natural self-preservation reflex that makes one swerve – unless you’re some sort of psychopath accustomed to mowing down pedestrians…

I never speed or "lead the pack" at night anymore in deer country but now try to have a semi (or some other fool) ride point for me. I had a close encounter with a herd of deer at +80mph at night. The I somehow missed all of them. I swear I drove the rest of the way at 40mph. I find that good fog lights expand the peripheral view of the road and illuminate roadside deer that ordinary headlights/hi-beams miss.

Don't get me started on squirrels. I swear they purposely target cars and bicyclists to get them to crash.

Amen!

The point may have already been made, but one must quickly assess the given situation: Obviously, if swerving means going off a cliff or hitting an on coming car head on, then smashing into the deer would be preferable.

Having a lead car can give one a false sense of safety. Example: Last year on the Highway I observed a deer nearly walk out in my path ( no time for any reaction) and seconds later, the van behind me hit head on. Pretty scary if ya ask me.

The fog lights Subaru Are famous for are awesome. Generally here in Iowa, if you see one deer, you will likely be looking at many more in the vicinity if not closer. I watch along the highway shoulders(at night) and can usually spot em by the reflection of their eyes- kinda resembles a flashlight.

23 years of driving here, so far the only creature I've hit was an unfortunate Barn owl, couldn't get stopped in time.

I grew up in rural Wisconsin, and have had two of those rats with antlers run into me. The rest of the time? Slow down, honk the horn and if at night, flash from high to low beams rapidly. Haven't hit a deer in eighteen years but see them by the side of the road gawpin' at me stupidly at least twice a week.

...honk the horn...

you want to be careful honking the horn during rut (late Oct into Nov) - the bucks will charge - been there, done that.

I live in rural central Wisconsin - farm country - LOTS of deer around here. I try very hard NOT to swerve, but do get on the brakes hard - I figure the deer is going to do less damage than flying into the ditch, or hitting something else will do. Yes, I fear having one come thru the windshield - but the chances of that happening are pretty slim by comparison.

Actually hit a small buck in the EA82 wagon once - took out the corner marker and made the dent in the passenger fender larger than it was, but the damage could have been a LOT worse had I swerved to avoid the darn thing. (i did have my revenge tho - he broke his neck on impact, so we had some real tasty loin steaks for dinner!! hehehe :brow: )