Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Keeping it stock

The more I read the more confused I get. Anyone with a newer car, is wrong to keep it stock, but if you have an older your wrong to not keep it stock. WTF?

I have been keeping up with the FF1 project thread. Everyone is like keep it real, keep it stock, I don't like the wheels bla bla bla. You guys must think I've destroyed my 79 DL cause I painted it all crazy and what not.

So someone PLEASE enlighten me on these thought processes. If anything it makes more sense to me the other way around. Mod the old and keep the newer stock.

Hmmm... Interesting thread you have started REXSPEEDWORTHY! I wonder if there will be a lot of 'debate'!?!

With regards to the FF-1 I think it comes down to rarity, there is just not that many left. For some people any changes from stock are almost 'sacrilegious'. In this case I do not mean rare like a Porsche or Corvette that will always be worth restoring and keeping 'original', just that an FF-1 is scare or just plain hard to get.

Scarcity seems to be an 'affliction' with cars that are where once considered 'mere transport'. Unlike the Porsches, Corvettes (and so on) they end their working lives by getting crushed :eek:, especially now with the prices being paid for scrap metal.

In my own case I used to always make sure that everything on my 1978 wagon was keep stock, or as it was from the factory. These days I do not care as much :grin:. It proved impossible, due to the lack of parts here in Australia to be that concerned with originality. So what if the rear internal door handles are form a Mazda or the front seats from a Daihatsu Charade Turbo! It is nearly 30 years old and I still drive it (almost:grin:) everday and for me that is what really matters!

^^ I like how you think.

Well I got my Gen-1 for basically nothing, and love making it as bizarre as can be. I currently have a pumpkin cut out and place over the 3rd headlight. I deliver pizzas in it on Saturday nites, and get all kind of compliments on it. Most are like what kinda car is that, until I put the "racing stripes" back on it. Kids call it the Simpsons car (front plate and steering wheel cover only) because of the blue and yellow I guess. I really like this site more than Nasioc ,and have learned a lot about my car here. Not trying to rub anyone the wrong way, just curoius. Your explination is insightful though. I don't care so much about stock, because most here probably wouldn't mess with mine due to the amount of rust. That is also why I don't go pure stock. Just keep putting whatever on it to keep it running. It could blow anyday, and I won't be out too much.

Mod the old and keep the newer stock.

Sure,when there's so much of a herd you can spare some.

An ff-1? Not in my opinion. And,in the end,that's all it is,my opinion.

There's a big exception to your rule. Firstly,the ff-1,too rare. Secondly,our beloved 70's cars are quickly disappearing.Or in our case up here,pretty much gone.

i think if its really rare or very tidy orignal car, to keep it stock unless it always had problems with mechicals or motor and it was better to fit it with updated mechicals etc. or modify so the car is safer to drive. i think if its ruff car or had been played with and isnt the best example around its ok to mod :burnout:

i think if its really rare or very tidy orignal car, to keep it stock unless it always had problems with mechicals or motor and it was better to fit it with updated mechicals etc. or modify so the car is safer to drive. i think if its ruff car or had been played with and isnt the best example around its ok to mod :burnout:

Great philosophy. Sums it up good. Myself, I am working on a few different vehicles that are "rare". One is my good ol 85 Brat that is getting "bolt on" upgrades (rear discs, lift, built EA81 motor), nothing that will harm the value of it being restored to OEM. My other is a 1960 F250 Crew Cab, one of 11,000 or so built that is getting a big block 460 and C6 trans. Granted I'm going with the "bolt in" conversion, but the cross member has already been modified by a previous owner; but a Dakota IFS would would be sweet for the IFS and discs (might do that as well if I keep it). All in all it's YOUR ride and do as you see fit. As said in the rodding world "Any man can restore a car, it takes a real man to cut one up."

Personally, it depends on the car for me. My friend has an all original 31 Model A 4 door in his garage. I see it with a Pinto 4 Banger and tranny, hi boy, suicide front end and 34 pick up grill (or the simpler Pinto 4 Banger and stock everything else, minus brakes). I'll cut up just about anything to make it better, just depends on the condition of the car.

With the FF1, part of me says stock, and part of me says not. If it's complete, might as well keep it stock. If it's just a shell, go ballistic and have a blast, even though it's rare.

Now, to counter my own rant, did anyone see the issue years ago from Custom Rodder Magazine with the 300SL Gullwing on the cover? Guy found a body (possibly frame as well, I do not recall) and proceeded to modify the day lights out of it (sectioning, possible chopping, etc.). PERSONALLY, if I found a rare body and frame like that, I wound NOT, I repeat NOT, modify the day lights out of it like he did, I'd UPDATE everything to modern specs (some Prince in Saudi Arabia did an equivalent, built by MB). But to each their own.

End of rant.

With the FF1, part of me says stock, and part of me says not. If it's complete, might as well keep it stock. If it's just a shell, go ballistic and have a blast, even though it's rare.

Just for reference, I had a '65 Mustang in the family that was kept original and was sold back around 2000. By original, I mean near perfect original... But it was just a 6-cylinder nothing-on-it model, so it wasnt that valuble.

That car was worth keeping stock.

But this FF-1... Cant be kept stock. Sorry guys. It needs major body work which wont be original body work anymore, cause well, new body work isnt original. The interior melted into smithereens (even the "cardboard" shifter console came apart in my hands as I removed it) and "original" interiors for this car do not exist anymore, so it will have to be custom. As for wheels... Wheels are wheels, everyone does something different when it comes to wheels, no big deal, and also non-permenant.

And I'm not sure I should follow the traditional USMB "original" Subaru cadigory anyway... That seems to require lots of spray paint, dirt roads, and eventually, no more car left at all :lol: :-p

In case you are wondering... Yes, I would have kept an FF-1 stock if it was in good "original" condition such as our 1965 Mustang was.

im going to mod my 1400 coupe. it has got rust in it that needs 2 b cut out. the last 2 owners had cut lots of wires which was causing it 2 short as well they added spoiler. they didnt use an drill to drill the holes. i think yhey used an hammer and an nail. it was used as an farm hack and the horse broke the mirrors lol :lol:

Fixing bodywork and getting a re-upholstery job is not modification. Same for adding a decent set of Sport Mags from just a couple years later than your car was made.

For the record,you would have a hell of a time restoring any unibody car from the bodywork standpoint. So,you just get it made solid by someone with some sense of craftsmanship. It won't look like hell and who's ever going to point at it and say "that's not original sheetmetal!!" ??

Your car is way more solid than MANY that have been successfully restored.

Your car is way more solid than MANY that have been successfully restored.

Ya, the only thing that needs serious metal work is the sideskirt areas and the floorboard... I'm going to pop the fenders soon and see how bad it is under there, I also need a better look at the firewall and under the seats and sound deadening matterial in the front foot wells. Those are the general areas I'm concerned about.

The rest of the body just needs dents removed and/or holes pluged, so thats not too big of a deal.

I am more on the camp of restify. hybrid word from "restore" and "modify". Basically keeping in the spirit of the original, but changing parts to improve performance or safety.

It's a term that I heard a while ago in one of the offroad magazines. They had a old Scout and they were covering the restoration. But while they were at it, the put in better brakes and did not other things to it to make it better.

My BRAT. It's a modified job. No more dash, no more heater/ac, cut fenders etc.

The RX. It's gonna be a restify project. More powerful, reliable engine, but everything else is going to be as stock as possible. Well.. I still have to figure out what I am going to do about the TMIC. Don't really want to cut a hole in the hoog, but I have to figure out a way to get cool air to the IC.

I am more on the camp of restify. hybrid word from "restore" and "modify". Basically keeping in the spirit of the original' date=' but changing parts to improve performance or safety.[/quote']

Great word! You know if you restore an old, say 40 year old car to original specifications, you end up with a 40 year old car!:grin: I think the best you can do is upgrade a car so that it keeps up with modern traffic (performance, handling and most importantly brakes!) while being true to the original.

In Aus there is a style of car modification called 'Old School' (I suppose it is world wide - at a guess it is cars made prior to 1986) where the body of the car is keep relatively stock but the mechanicals are made up to date. Modern engines, suspension, brakes, interior, stereo with great panel work and paint.

Of course you need mega money but hey better than a new car any day!

Well I had to post. I'm sorry to have such an ambiguous opinion but it really depends on what the owner has in mind for it.

If you want a museum piece, something that mostly sits in the garage, and when you do take it out you worry about every little nick or scratch, by all means go for the stock restoration.

If you want to enjoy driving your old soob on a daily basis, then I say its gotta be a mix of stock, modification, and performance upgrades. In the end, the modified soob will probably be the one that lasts on the road the longest.

The latter is what I've for in mind for my 79 brat. It will have mostly an original look, but a couple of performance mods under the hood.

Cheers All,

Crabman

in my opinion just my opinion if its new mod the hell out of it just because they are all over but like my 1980 wiht vertualy NO RUST and in the condition it is in with papers and straight body good engine tranny you gott to choos wisely what you mod. so far i have only changed the wheels and put a sterio,alarm,remote start,exhaust. but from the outside it looks bone stock untel that little 1600cc pavment princess rolls up along side you bumpin the 15 inch 1000 watt audiobahns YES i said 15s and rockin the aluminum turbo wheels with new 2inch catless exhaust. oh yeah she is bad to the bone

19805.jpg

so it gave me a chance to talk about my ride my bad :-p

Well, I was wondering if ya'll thought I "destroyed" my car, but I guess not after reading all the posts. Mine is pretty rusty in a lot of spots. It's mostly from sitting though, as it only has 65k original miles. I can daily drive it too. I'm 30 miles one way to work, and drive it on average of once a week. I hop out of the '79 DL and into the 05 LGT, and I really appreciate the LGT even more. When I first got the DL, I was going for the Rally colors and basically make fun of ricers. It sounds sooo fast, but is really so slow, and I love how that throws people off. So I shall carry on with my modding, but now with a new found respect. I wish I had the Skillz or money to do a stock resto, but Oh' well, I'll just keep hacking.

Well, I was wondering if ya'll thought I "destroyed" my car,

I sort of do. I'm am the last person you will ever hear 'keep it stock' from.

However, I am a big proponent of 'keep it tasteful'.

I love the 70s subarus, toyotas, datsuns - all the little cool looking sporty japanese cars. They have so much potential to be good looking, tastefully done cars.

You on the other hand have taken your car more of a 'retarded teenager on LSD' direction.

If thats what you were after, cool. I wouldn't own it though.

I sort of do. I'm am the last person you will ever hear 'keep it stock' from.

However, I am a big proponent of 'keep it tasteful'.

I love the 70s subarus, toyotas, datsuns - all the little cool looking sporty japanese cars. They have so much potential to be good looking, tastefully done cars.

You on the other hand have taken your car more of a 'retarded teenager on LSD' direction.

If thats what you were after, cool. I wouldn't own it though.

I appreciate your honesty. I am, of course, color-blind, so the colors I seem to choose in anything usually come out that way.:lol: I have been thinking about making it into a Bengals Car and taking it to tailgating. The good thing is, changing it, isn't that hard.

I'm with s'ko in a way. I don't think upgrades hurt, and as someone else said (can't remember who), some parts that need replacing aren't available anymore. But it would be best to keep the original spirit.

Me... personally... I would try to make the 1100 motor work. I understand it's a sleeved engine (it is right? I originall thought only the 1300s and 1400s were sleeved), and that there's more 'performance' avaliable from an EA71. But the idea of the original engine running in as tip-top condition as possible appeals to me.

I probably would go Superlites as well, as pricey as they are.

But I can also respect a very nicely done-up 'sports' FF1 that's mostly original but has a few fun goodies as well.

Regardless, Kosta, I have to stick by the mantra that it's your car. You paid for it, it's in your name, you do as you wish.

And at least you're not doing an STi swap OMG!!!1!