Ultimate Subaru Message Board

intake heater hose

is the intake heater hose neccesary for these cars to run right? I recently bought an exhaust system and the new catalitic doesn't have a spot for the intake heater hose to connect as the old one does. should i just use the new piece and block off the other end on the intake?

:confused:

thanks

is the intake heater hose neccesary for these cars to run right? I recently bought an exhaust system and the new catalitic doesn't have a spot for the intake heater hose to connect as the old one does. should i just use the new piece and block off the other end on the intake?

:confused:

thanks

Depends on how cold it gets there and how fast you would like your car to warm up. As you probably can tell or know, it draws a warm/hot draft of air into the intake so the engine can run right, because cold fuel doesn't atomize as well as warm fuel. There might be other reasons it's there. But if you notice, the valve closes (On the tube) as the engine warms up.

You could look into a block heater for the coolant. Keeps it warm and makes cold starts not as hard on your engine. How cold does it get in Nebraska?

EDIT: You don't need to block off the the part coming off the intake. If you did, and it's cold, your car probably won't start, as it would draw air from the end the tube was on.

thanks for the replies guys tomorrow i'll get out and see if the heat shielding will just swap over. and if not i may just try and run it with out it, the winters get cold here occasionally in the negatives but its been mild here the last few winters.

the new catalitic doesn't have a spot for the intake heater hose to connect
is it a holder, i've never seen an exhaust that has anything to do with hoses...i'm confused.

what engine/vehicle?

i've removed the intake heater hose on a MPFI XT6 before with no issues, lows in the single digits/teens.

they are on carbureted models only, its about a 1.5 inch pipe to send hot air to your air cleaner

i've seen aftermarket ones that had a 2 inch piece of pipe welded to the manifold then the old hose can go back on.

i live in minnesota and i never run them. if your choke is working good you probably wont notice it taking any longer to warm up

It's not a warm-up issue at all. It's there to prevent icing of the carb. If the dew point of the air going into the carb is just in the right range the carb will collect moisture from the incomming air and it will form ice on the throttle body and throttle plates due to the "wind chill" effect of air flowing at high speeds through the venturi. This obviously will make it run like complete crap until it shuts down and melts the ice.

If you don't live in a really cold, often wet environment you will likely never see a need for the hot air riser. Here in OR it rarely gets below 20 degrees and carb icing isn't really an issue. I've never had a problem with it anyway.

I see you are in Nebraska.... might be an issue for you. Just use some bailing wire to hold the hot air riser near the cat till you can have a proper bit of pipe welded to the heat shield.

GD