Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Broken timing belt 15,000 miles

I don't drive it much cause I don't have no where to really go, I would just take it out and drive around but I can't drive alone yet and mom doesn't want to just go for a ride that offen.

dude, go to milwaukee or madison. why not? subaru folks in both places! you dont need your mom to go with you, just someone you know with a license. go meet some people with licenses, and subarus, and there you go. wait a year and that wont be a problem.

i usually see original belts let go between 135 and 145,000 miles. as this is the miles range i find original cars with broken belts

go open covers. i do that all day long. if you plan on fixing your car the next time it takes the job down from 2 hrs to 20 min for anyone experienced.

and what is all these MYTHICAL NOTIONS ABOUT RUST!?!?!?!?!?

i swear to god the whole rust thing gets blown out of proportion. how about seeing rusty cars or having one before you think your car is junk because it has a paint chip.

cam pulleys will not rust apart. only if they sit in a field with grass growing under the hood for years on end. there is enough of a slight oil film and war pattern to keep that from rusting out. give me a break.

like i said, THE LOYALE, if you want help with the belts i will come over and whip it out in an afternoon just for something to do on my way back and forth from milwaulee to madison. i have done a complete headgasket job from a running and driving car to a running and driving car within the span of a saturday. i roll waukesha more than you know. i drive the car in the "waukesha off road" video on youtube.

other than that, get your hands dirty and some miles behind you. use 30 wt oil. do donuts at wal mart. paint orange stripes on your car.....

i swear to god the whole rust thing gets blown out of proportion. how about seeing rusty cars or having one before you think your car is junk because it has a paint chip.

cam pulleys will not rust apart.

'mythical' replies about paint chips and cam pulleys falling apart is humerous, i agree with you 100%, but no one said those things but you. you're the one blowing "surface rust" out of proportion...i've got some that have rust and are pitted, i can post pictures if you'd like to turn this into a pissing match. if you don't drive much they will rust. i don't care, i run without covers just like you. i'm just passing information along, make decisions accordingly.

other than that, get your hands dirty and some miles behind you. use 30 wt oil. do donuts at wal mart. paint orange stripes on your car.....

He speaks from experience...... you don't even know. :lol:

I've met him in person.... as in he was HERE on the west coast at the time. For a Subaru show of course. That was like WCSS4 I think....

Fox - you are sure are getting up there in the post count. I remember reading about your first trashwagon.... before you ever owned a Subaru. Good times man. Let us know what you are up to some time (in OT of course).

GD

dude, go to milwaukee or madison. why not? subaru folks in both places! you dont need your mom to go with you, just someone you know with a license. go meet some people with licenses, and subarus, and there you go. wait a year and that wont be a problem.

i usually see original belts let go between 135 and 145,000 miles. as this is the miles range i find original cars with broken belts

go open covers. i do that all day long. if you plan on fixing your car the next time it takes the job down from 2 hrs to 20 min for anyone experienced.

cam pulleys will not rust apart. only if they sit in a field with grass growing under the hood for years on end. there is enough of a slight oil film and war pattern to keep that from rusting out. give me a break.

like i said, THE LOYALE, if you want help with the belts i will come over and whip it out in an afternoon just for something to do on my way back and forth from milwaulee to madison. i have done a complete headgasket job from a running and driving car to a running and driving car within the span of a saturday. i roll waukesha more than you know. i drive the car in the "waukesha off road" video on youtube.

Yeah I would like to meet Subaru people around here and such, I can start driving by my self in like Feb/March thow:banana:

I know you're willing to help and I'd love it. But My dad doesn't want to bother :rolleyes::mad: he says "Oh well we'll get it done our selfs" and bla.. bla.. bla...:rolleyes: And then it doesn't happen, I know it's pretty easy and I've got it all in my head and I even have step-by-step print outs that you made. So I know I can do it, I mean all I want is to have my dad help with this one thing and it never happens. He came from a Family that used to rebuild vehicles, Motor, Trannys, and put a new short block in his first car (72 Dodge dart swinger with slant 6) But now he's just tired and never wants to do anything. I'm not trying to complan or anything, I'm just telling y'al where I'm standing.

BTW what do you drive around the most? And do you ever come into Waukesha city? or do you just stay in the suburbs.

Alright now lets get back on topic shell we.:grin:

The Loyale - what exactly do you need your Dad's help with?? Will he not let you use the tools by yourself, or what?

There is nothing on a Subaru that can't be done by yourself, with the right tools and a little ingenuity. I know from whence i speak - been there, done that - and I am a female - not as physically strong as a male. I maintain, repair, and "upgrade" my vehicles (and usually the other half's, too! ;) ) Sure, I ask him to help if he is available - lots of things go easier/faster with two sets of hands, but the fact remains that I can do it by myself if I need to.

As for the timing belts failing with only 9 mo/15k on them - most definitely yes if they were getting saturated with oil - learned that lesson the hard way myself - changed belts, but not oil seals, they werent leaking that bad, I thought - had to redo the job when the belts gave out due to oil saturation - dont remember the exact time frame, but it was less than a year...

and no, you don't have to pull the radiator to do timing belts - have done them several times, on several different EA82's (we have 3) and never once pulled a radiator (or the motor). You do need to be careful not to damage the radiator when pulling the clutch fan, removing the crank bolt, etc, but it is not a necessity to pull the radiator - would just give you a bit more room to work is all.

Naw I have my own tools Haha! But I have to move some crap out of the garage and such, Yeah I know I can do it all my self. Tons of people do. And being a woman is no diffrent them a man. As long as you know what you're doing that's all the matters. Pretty soon I might just do it my self thow if he keeps this mentality.

So you don't need to pull the rad hey, I prolly will anywayz. More room is always good. Thank's Heartless.

As for the belt breaking at 15,000 yeah it can be the belt being saturated with oil and it can also just be a defect. Not every part that leaves the factory is perfect. Errr! So i can just be anything ya know.

Hope you have better luck with the other new belts:headbang:

Naw I have my own tools Haha! But I have to move some crap out of the garage and such, Yeah I know I can do it all my self. Tons of people do. And being a woman is no diffrent them a man. As long as you know what you're doing that's all the matters. Pretty soon I might just do it my self thow if he keeps this mentality.

So you don't need to pull the rad hey, I prolly will anywayz. More room is always good. Thank's Heartless.

As for the belt breaking at 15,000 yeah it can be the belt being saturated with oil and it can also just be a defect. Not every part that leaves the factory is perfect. Errr! So i can just be anything ya know.

Hope you have better luck with the other new belts:headbang:

you just need to do the work yourself. you stated that you don't drive it much anyways, so if it takes you awhile to get it done, what does it matter? you complain about your dad's excuses, but it seems you have many of your own. clean the garage up, pull the car in and get on it.

cheers.

you complain about your dad's excuses, but it seems you have many of your own. clean the garage up, pull the car in and get on it.

I'll second that motion!! ;) Perhaps if you show the initiative and get cracking on cleaning up the garage, your dad will decide to help...

When changing the timing belts it is a VERY good idea to do the oil seals while in there if there is even a tiny bit of seepage. They arent hard to do, and saves a bunch of headaches down the road (around 15K or so :rolleyes: ) Lessons learned the hard way by others are your freind! :) Brumhilda has been retired due to salt cancer, but she ran fine from the time the second set of belts and the oil seals were replaced - think i put around 30-35k on the second set before her retirement. She will still run fine, but is no longer "safe" to be driving down the road. Poor ol girl...

Yeah you're both right, I should just get cracking on it. Thank's for the refreshing state of mind:) And yeah I'm going to do the Cam cap seals/O-rings too, Along with the new Oil pump. If the water pump go's sometime then I'll worry about it.

Sorry to hear about Brumhilda, It's always sad when a Subaru is takin off the road due to salt.

yes, it was kind of sad to retire her (the unplanned trip "offroad" last year didnt help things either), but she gave over 6 years of solid, reliable service, thru all kinds of weather - and being a FWD she amazed me more than once in deep snow! :)

Now I am getting to know - and really like - the "new" car - 1990 Legacy LS wagon called "Red" for now. I will always have a soft spot for the EA82's - we still have one that is ready to go at a moments notice - but both myself and the other half have "upgraded" to the early Legacy's.

Now, get your butt out to the garage and get cracking!! :lol:

Miles, you kill me!!!! Was that you wag on the obstacle coarse?

Wish we had snow in Fresno, though I can always drive 45 min up to the legendary Sierra Nevadas.