Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1988 gl value

ebay and craigslist are deal sites. i was speaking of local dealers prices being around 3000.

TheSubaruJunkie-You will find that a stock and as close to original car will usually get more money than a modified car. Your car isnt a classic, so you cant play that card either. To put it blunt, your car isnt worth 2 or 3,000. and its nowhere near the $7000 you claim to have put into it.

the stereo system alone was around 800 i will give you some more aproxx numbers. tires=500 new engine(when old one wouldnt pass smog anymore= 2000 (reman ordered from local kragen) carpet and carpet supplies= 300 seats front= 500ea back seat custom remade 500

nav system 300 grille 25 new headlights and bulbs 100 ea costom made headrests for back seat 5o ea custom rebiult door panels 150 ea battery 150 paint 500 (was cheap because my dad is a painter) dash repair work 150. need i go on?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

those small costs all add up. and i know many people have and will spend that kind of money on their ru's,if they have sentimental value like mine does to me. in fact if you keep track of repair/upgrade cost for your ru's many of you have probly spent a few g's in your cars lifetime. what i meant by my original question was does anyone know a site that takes upgrades into account when booking? the car has sentimental value to me and,i know i have totaled it by fixing it. lol

and I don't want to sell it i was intrested in value for insurance use. craiglist and ebay are bad examples of values from people desperate to sell their rust bucket cars.no offense to rusty ru owners.lol:burnout:

ebay and craigslist are deal sites. i was speaking of local dealers prices being around 3000. the stereo system alone was around 800 i will give you some more aproxx numbers. tires=500 new engine(when old one wouldnt pass smog anymore= 2000 (reman ordered from local kragen) carpet and carpet supplies= 300 seats front= 500ea back seat custom remade 500

nav system 300 grille 25 new headlights and bulbs 100 ea costom made headrests for back seat 5o ea custom rebiult door panels 150 ea battery 150 paint 500 (was cheap because my dad is a painter) dash repair work 150. need i go on?

lol this is funny i like how people get deep with this kinda stuff.

silver you kinda sound spoiled but im not holding that against you atleast you did most of the work that you could do yourself (you did right?) i know kids that have older cars that are all decked out but you know mommy and daddy pay for them. Honestly if you spend youre own money on it and do what you like to make it unique go for it as for the "OP" if it gets wrecked just make shur you have good proof of what you have spent on it. i have a 1980 wagon that i got for "free" and i love it to death i actualy traded it off and felt really really bad then my friend cam back the next day and decided he didnt want it :rolleyes: it made me realize i loved it as for what i have into it. All my own work: new tires,wheels,seats,carpit,dash,headliner,electronic ignition,custom free flow 2 inch exhaust,alarm system,remote start,paint,third eye,touch screen navagation. and the sterio system two 4 inch speekers in the front doors,two 6 inch speakers in the back doors, one 1000 watt amp,two 15 inch audiobahn subs,kenwood hide away deck. and alot more to come. people think its just an old car but i love it with all my heart. I will never sell it (unless its life or death :)) just make shure that you try to do some of it yourself it sounds like you have but its just not the same when you pay to have something done.

Thanks Rob.

If you think that a dealer's price on a comparable subaru is a better indication of market value than the ebay and craigslist prices... Well, you're just wrong.

Market value is determined by the market, the people who are actually buying the cars. Look around at how many old subarus are changing hands through dealers compared to being sold by private individuals. I'm betting that the overwhelming majority of them are being sold person-to-person through classifieds, craigslist, ebay, etc... What that means is the market IS defined by those desperate people trying to unload their rusty old roos on the internet, and those sources are ABSOLUTELY the very best indicator of true market value. Whatever THOSE same people are willing to pay for your car, that's what it's "worth".

Now, since you originally posted looking for advice on how to value your car for insurance purposes, I don't know why you are even making this argument. You got your info on how to try to substantiate your claimed value to your insurance company. You were told a couple of times that you need to document what you have into it, get it appraised, and present that to them. It almost seems like you got your feelings hurt by the people who scoffed at your project, and are trying to make a point about what the car is "worth". I wouldn't bother.

You know what it is worth to you. You now know you have to convince an insurance company of what it is worth. You also now know that it isn't worth nearly that much to the subaru junkies here. Finally, the "market value" of your car isn't anywhere near what it is worth to you, but that doesn't matter, does it?

You're going to have a very hard time justifying your expenditures on your car to anyone but yourself, so why are you trying so hard? You built it for yourself, just enjoy it.

yes i did all the work myself other than the paint, me and my dad did the paint together.and i am not spoiled (i though i went through my sory already) i went through alot to get my money.i am glad to hear someone else fixed up their ru like me.i belive i will have the ru till i die. many people have tryed to get me to sell it but i never did.it means to much to me.

but whats a third eye? is that the backup cam? also you said you put new wheels on it i still havent found any desent wheels for mine. where did you get them that match the 4lug pattern? or how can i change the 4 lug pattern? so i can put better wheels on?

"how much is my $7,000 car worth for insurance reasons?"

$7,000???

or add in a bit more for your time. ask your insurance company to insure it for whatever you want to insure it for. look at it like life insurance, the more you want, the more you pay. there's no magical formula or way to ascertain "value", nor does it matter.

Sounds like you really have a sweet GL silverracerkh2005. Check the meet and greet forum from time to time, us locals try and have a get together from time to time. We usually meet in Reno, but it would be a nice change to move it to Tahoe! I would like to see your wagon and maybe I'll get some good ideas for mine. :)

Peace,

Jeremy

I had to work hard and save for 7 months to get it.without that car I might not be rich now. Cant you understand why the car is important to me, now?

In this case, your car is priceless. No KBB or Craigslist or even a car dealer can place a price on your vehicle. Don't let it go. And yes, keep an eye out in the meet and greet. Would be cool to see this multi million dollar EA82 at a meet sometime.

I don't know that i was ever really flaming on the OP, just getting indignant that people were calling GD out over his standard formula of blunt, unsoftened truth.

As for the OP's question, the answer is that he needs to have the car professionally appraised and insured at that value, or insured for a given stated value as was already mentioned. Nothing we can say will make any difference; your primary concern is getting into a wreck and getting boned on the insurance with an $800 check for your 1988 subaru with 200K miles on it because the fenders, bumper and hood got crunched up. Your worries are strictly between you and your insurance company; contact them and they will have the answers for you.

I have a rusty old datsun that is in AWFUL shape, and every time anyone has offered to buy it from me I have quoted a price of $2500 without blinking. Its at least twice what it is worth in its present condition (almost ten times what i paid for it) but thats the price it would take to separate me from it. My point is, I understand that you aren't concerned really with RESALE value, but real value to you. So call your insurance agent and get the answers you need; that is what the agency is there for in the first place.

ebay and craigslist are deal sites. i was speaking of local dealers prices being around 3000.

+1

Ebay and Craigslist are not good indicators of the value of WELL MAINTAINED or RECONDITIONED cars. Craigslist espescially is the worst. It's free, so all the cheapest fools with the crappiest crap post on there.

When I buy and resell a car, I put a lot intop making it good before I sell it. I make the car mechanically sound and looks good. Including detailing and minor body work. When I'm done, I want top dollar. The next owner will be happy with the car for a good long time, and won't have to spend money on repairs right away. I don't list it on craigs list. The buyers all seem to think you want to give it away LOL. And all the other "Comparable" cars listed make mine look expensive. But when you actaully look at the car and drive it you know why I want $1800 instead of $800. And why it' a better deal (cause most people pay for repairs not do them themselves)

But, $7000, for a GL is way too much.

I don't know that i was ever really flaming on the OP, just getting indignant that people were calling GD out over his standard formula of blunt, unsoftened truth.

I think he's gone a little beyond unsoftened truth. To insulting speculative opinions

Whatever you're worth, it's too much. Give that money to someone that can invest it wisely and go back to sucking on fudgesicles kid.

He's been here for 3 years, has 33 posts, and wants us to make him feel warm and fuzzy about polishing his turd. He hasn't contributed anything that I'm aware of in that time to earn a rimjob from me or anyone else here..... Next....

+1 for spending money on a subaru

-1000 for not keeping it real

If your subaru is something that you love and you truly enjoy working on and maintaining then what does it matter what its worth. If some a-hole comes along rear-ends you or something just hack up the car and make a ***************in off-roader, its about what you make of the car not how much money you spend. Trying to explain the value of 88 gl to someone is like trying to price having a really good idea, its just not gonna work out well... If you think you are entitled to something for working on your subaru your right, the reward is a nice subaru, not money from any insurance company. No one should expect to spend a lot of money on a car and be made god because of it. Keep it real guys

I don't list it on craigs list. The buyers all seem to think you want to give it away LOL.
maybe that depends on the area? i think craigslist is 'okay' in the baltimore/DC/PA area. i do both, locally and craigslist. on craigslist i indicate who the vehicle is good for - someone who doesn't want to have to do the maintenance any time soon, like the ones you sell. i think with craigslist you expand your market, which attracts more low ballers and people looking for a deal, but it also expands your market for the few that are looking for a car they can't really buy anywhere else - some people see "new timing belt, water pump, timing pulleys, tensioner, hoses, clamps, brakes, clutch" and see that as a a great opportunity. they're the minority and like you said more of a minority on craigslist, but they are out there. detailing out everything you've done and why you're asking top dollar seems to limit low-ballers so far for me. last vehicle i sold was on craigslist and i got a great price for it.

*yawn* can about 90% of the posts in this thread be deleted?

To answer your question, and not really knowing about your specific area, you'd probably be able to get about $2k on the East coast depending on how really awesomerest (<--new word, yay me!) it looks in pictures/person.

But this also depends highly on how much the odometer says. Even with a new engine high miles will kill the value.

And +1 on getting the car appraised to have a higher insured value. Classic cars are worth ~$200 without one.

To Silverracerkh2005:

I think it is great you have a car like that, especially since it seems to be a father/son project. I'm sure it has brought you and your dad some good times in fixing it up.

I would think your insurance company would provide you a special premium policy for the car. They would probably need proof of the costs you made in it. If you haven't talked to them about it I suggest you do that. If they can't help with it I'm sure there are other insurance companies that can do this for you, though I can't help you with any info there. Maybe places that handle policies for classic cars.

To Gloyale:

That is one nice Loyale you found there.

the one you found on cl is nice. however it is not a gl and is all original.i will check the meet and greet to look for a local meet(ie reno/tahoe sacremento)also next time you guys are having one shoot me an email mlinkisp@yahoo.com in case i miss it in meet and greet.i would love to show you guys my ru. and i'm working on a web site for it. i will post a link on here when i'm done with the site. i see i will have to get it apraised soon. and i know i could not sell it for 7000,(unless it's someone like me).but it's not about selling it. i don't want to sell it.

Well, judging by your spelling, punctuation, sentence structure, lack of clarity, and excellent money handling skills I predict you won't have a business for long - let alone a multi-million dollar one.

I certainly am not seeing the blinding intellect in this one.... anyone else who can? Sounds like a flash-in-the-pan success story that quite possibly will end badly.... if in fact it's not wholly made up in the first place. :rolleyes:

There's a reason that people who came from money are rarely left in the poor-house. They know what to do with it.

GD

I want to see pics of this beast.

GD, you're an emotionless bully. You completely lack decency and sentimentality. The only logic you understand is your own. You're very rude. You don't realize that there's alot more to life than money.

The car sounds pretty important to you... you shouldn't worry about what it's worth. It's yours until it's death.

GD, you're an emotionless bully.

I guess my mommy didn't coddle me enough. And I'm no bully - heck I didn't even ask for his lunch money!

You completely lack decency and sentimentality.

Oh please - I wear pants, and I give flowers on mothers day.

The only logic you understand is your own.

Logic doesn't require ownership. I merely *understand* it, I don't *own* it.

You're very rude.

Yes. Absolutely.

You don't realize that there's a lot more to life than money.

Now of course that's just a silly statement. Money is simply a means to an end. I don't agree with his ends, money is only the way he got there. I wouldn't have agreed with him if he stole $7,000 worth of parts for it either. The fact that money is involved is only incidental.

The car sounds pretty important to you... you shouldn't worry about what it's worth. It's yours until it's death.

Which is exactly why he shouldn't at all be surprised by my reaction. If he were smart he wouldn't have asked in the first place because the answer doesn't matter to him or anyone else apparently.

GD