Ultimate Subaru Message Board

3 weheeled subaru

Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot!??????

You people are laughing at this?!!!

(okay the skateboard joke was funny)

With a fivespeed, and SPFI, this vehicle could probably achieve 50+ mpg handily, and be quick about it. If a way to retrofit the door handles and front clip off of an XT were to be found... I mean, we are talking potentially lowering the CD to below 0.15, MAYBE even 0.10 flat, and thats UTTERLY BAT************ INSANE!!!!! These angles need to be cleaned up, maybe add some vortex generators along the top.. but SERIOUSLY, folks, this is EXCELLENT backyard engineering. (superficially, at least.)

If my windshield frame weren't rotting along with the backside, I would SERIOUSLY consider doing this to my car... drop an EA81 longblock in, power it via LPG, and have a GL-7.5 :grin:

Want a great read on someone building an aerodynamic economy vehicle? (this ones got four wheels, but if you don't like the sooby you probly wont like it...) then clicky.

If fuel economy alone isn't enough to inspire you, how about the Ansari Automotive X-prize? 1 gallon of fuel, 100 miles.. 10 million USD!

That Civic could be cleaned up a little more, aerodynamically, with smoother bodywork. Play with the ECU & some smaller injectors, and that guy is in the hunt for the X-Prize. It'd be snail slow, and still be butt-ugly tho.

$10mil for what looks to be a $10k investment?

the numbers he was throwing around were 3 digits, something like 400 bucks???

http://forum.ecomodder.com/showthread.php?p=2110

^--Build thread. He started with plastic wrap and cardboard, and made aluminum and coroplast pieces to replace those. Neat work; if it were IDEAL it woulda been a CRX HF, and it could be tidied up a bit.. but this three wheeled sooby stands a great chance, too! The guy who built it couldn't have been thinking ultra fuel economy, or he would have gone with a fivespeed.. but seriously, how much can that weigh? 2000 pounds completed, full, with driver?? :eek:

How much do you think this weighs?

It's purported to be getting an EA71 or 81

CVT belt drive (ala snowmobile)

Trimutation.jpg

I have studied the three wheel geometry on cars

and

the two front wheel set up

wins

hands (or top) down.

How much do you think this weighs?

It's purported to be getting an EA71 or 81

CVT belt drive (ala snowmobile)

I have studied the three wheel geometry on cars

and

the two front wheel set up

wins

hands (or top) down.

Yup, better stability and steering, and also a more effecient use of space.

Less likely to tip over.

nipper

Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot!??????

You people are laughing at this?!!!

(okay the skateboard joke was funny)

With a fivespeed, and SPFI, this vehicle could probably achieve 50+ mpg handily, and be quick about it. If a way to retrofit the door handles and front clip off of an XT were to be found... I mean, we are talking potentially lowering the CD to below 0.15, MAYBE even 0.10 flat, and thats UTTERLY BAT************ INSANE!!!!! These angles need to be cleaned up, maybe add some vortex generators along the top.. but SERIOUSLY, folks, this is EXCELLENT backyard engineering. (superficially, at least.)

If my windshield frame weren't rotting along with the backside, I would SERIOUSLY consider doing this to my car... drop an EA81 longblock in, power it via LPG, and have a GL-7.5 :grin:

Want a great read on someone building an aerodynamic economy vehicle? (this ones got four wheels, but if you don't like the sooby you probly wont like it...) then clicky.

If fuel economy alone isn't enough to inspire you, how about the Ansari Automotive X-prize? 1 gallon of fuel, 100 miles.. 10 million USD!

OK, point taken. My comment wasn't aimed at the idea, just the execution. I don't know how they drive in TX, but in Va it's considered normal to ride so close that the guy behind you gauges his speed by your speedometer. I would not want to be the meat in an SUV sandwich while riding in that.

For the same effort (less probably) you could find yourself a little diesel something and convert it to WVO. Or if safety isn't an issue, you could pop for one of these

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/automotive_news/4232400.html

Will-