Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pizza Delivery Duty

How do these old Soobs fare with the wear and tear of pizza delivery? I've had no problem with it being my daily driver.
Two of my three sons delivered pizza for quite a while. '83 and '84 wagons worked great doing it. Why would you think they couldn't handle it?

i've delivered pizza back in college. the real issue isn't the vehicle at this point, they are for the most part very reliable. the real issues are what is the prior maintenance history because it doesn't matter how good the car is if the previous owner beat it to crap, didn't maintain it and it still has 20+ year old rubber hoses, belts, water pumps, seals, and gaskets. if all of that is original then it's just a matter of time before you develop ticking HLA's, oil leaks, leaking water pumps, hoses, etc. Not too mention alternators, wheel bearings, axles, and brakes need maintenance usually at some point. When I get a new XT6 i install a new alternator or at the very least put a spare in the trunk. 20 year old alternators with who knows what kind of abuse with dead batteries and such make for a hit and miss kind of thing.

there were only two issues when i was delivering. the doors weren't quite big enough to get both the pizza and pop out of the car in a single maneuver, and mine started the burn oil really bad from all the starts and stops.

plus' though: really good tips during the winter, infact there were actually curtain area's reserved for me to deliver if there was snow

hahaha, 5-700 miles a week. Pizza is my middle name. Daeron Pizza MacCleod. (:grin:)

I started delivering pizzas with a bum starter.. I did a quick and dirty "rebuild" and it lasted three months :lol:

Subarus respond well to being depended upon. Just keep those tires rotating; on a 2 wheeler, its AMAZING how quickly the fronts wear compared to the rears.

Delivered Pizza a a night job for 3 years in Wisconsin. I picked up an 86 turbo wagon with more rust than you can believe, and flogged the crap out of it delivering pizza 4-5 nights a week. Definately wll require some regular maintenance, but it'll do fine.

BTW, towards the end of my time there, I got a 93 legacy wagon, and used it for 2 months to deliver. Within a week or two, the Automatic shoulder belt on drivers door stopped working. (I guess it didn't like 80+ open and close in a night.

So use either an old gen GL/DL /Loyale, or a 95 or newer legacy with Dual Airbags, they have manual belts

I delivered newpapers (about a 60 mile route) for about 6 months. Went through 2 sets of brakes, a set of front tires, and set of front wheel barrings and a clutch. But I have a lead foot.:o The lady I was substituting for used only Subarus. She said they were the only car that would take the abuse. She also used the 2wd size tires - easier to turn and more traction in the snow. Have you ever loadded up the rear of a wagon from floor to window height with newspapers? That's alot of weight.:eek:

I am just now due for rear wheel berrings and that was about 5 years and about 40K miles ago I did that.

I other words, yes they will take it and laugh at it.:burnout: