Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Breaking and entering troubles...

I live in a small town. I can go down to a bar to play pool, be in there for 3 hours, leave the keys on the trunk and both windows down, and nobody will touch it. I almost never take the keys out of the ignition. Until latley...

My subaru has been ransacked and broken into 3 times in about a month. Even my mustang is starting to get broken into. What blows my mind is the stuff that they are taking is meaningless, but the fact I'm growing weary of replacing handles, fixing locks, and getting stuff stolen.

To the point. I have a lot of original paperwork from my xt6 (including dealership papers from purchase, speeding tickets, ect.) One of the things I want to know is does anybody have a factory car alarm on their xt/xt6. I have a switch for it by my diff lock and fog light switch. I pulled the driver seat and found the control box for it. But it seems that it doesnt work. Any help on the subject on things to look for to possibly make this alarm work once again...

First step would be to start taking the keys out of the ignition, have you done that?

Second step, locking doors after you take keys out of ignition.

Third step, hiding any items that might appeal valuable to a criminal. Ex: CD's, Tools, if an after-market radio, taking the faceplate off and putting it in glove box.

Fourth step, stay away from bar for awhile, and drink at home.

I have a surefire method to keep your stuff from getting stolen. I used to think that no one would ransack my car because it didnt look like much so i never locked it. They rifled through my car and just took my cheepo sunglasses. Eversince then i dont keep anything in my car. When i had a cd player i would take the faceplate and all the cds in with me. Since they stole my sunglasses i take everything in the house with me. I even leave the doors unlocked so they dont break windows or locks to find nothing. I find this the best and surefire method for keeping your stuff and keeping your car from getting smashed up. Thell rifle through it find nothing then move on.

Ben

First step would be to start taking the keys out of the ignition, have you done that?

Second step, locking doors after you take keys out of ignition.

Third step, hiding any items that might appeal valuable to a criminal. Ex: CD's, Tools, if an after-market radio, taking the faceplate off and putting it in glove box.

Fourth step, stay away from bar for awhile, and drink at home.

Now are steps 1 and 2 really that important to get in the right order...:grin: It would seem for some reason i occasionally have the issue of locking the keys in the car.

sorry about your troubles.. write a letter and send copies to the newspaper, police department, and city council, as well as to as many neighbors as you like. Once enough people are as agitated about it as you are, things might start to happen. See if there's a Block Watch program or something.. good luck!

It would seem for some reason i occasionally have the issue of locking the keys in the car.

I accidentaly discover a way to prevent that. A long time ago, (when car alarms were rare) I had an alarm on my car. I made linkage to make the arm / disarm switch work off the door lock, so I always set the alarm & locked the door with the 1 key.

So I never got in the habit of pressing the button & closing the door. I still lock cars with the key, almost never with the button.

I am sure you have heard of these but

do not have the where with all for one.

A "silent pager alarm"

The remote (in your pocket)

beeps or vibrates when the alarm is triggered.

Car makes no noise.

You walk up and say

"Hey How you doin' " ect.

Had one in my Merc 450SL

Cops stops to check out why this car was parked

where it was (not a real Mercedes district)

I also had a infra-red motion detector

(convertible ya know) he triggered it.

I came out with my nine cocked and ready to rock

Can you spell --- UPS!!

Could always try one of these. http://www.taser.org/autotaser.html

But it looks like they have been discontinued. And I really wanted one.

I heard of a similar system that wired into the car and electrified the door handles years ago....

But it never made it past the lawyers. :mad:

It seems to me that criminals are often too protected. I've heard that if you leave your keys in your vehicle and it gets stolen, your insurance company won't cover any damages and you are responseable for whatever damages are caused by the thief. I'm not sure if that applies to just the state I live in or all of them.

I hope they catch whoever is messing with your car.