Ultimate Subaru Message Board

We are looking to replace our 97 OBW in the near future. It is our "utillity" vehicle plus Vicky's daily driver. We looked at the Tribeca, but I think they are ugly and it would kill me to put three dogs in a $40,000 car. I really like the Outbacks, wife doesn't. We both kinda like the looks of the 09 Forester, the price is about right and I think it would make a good tow car for the camper. I looked at the Subaru.com site but didn't find exactly what the trim levels consited of, anyone with a clue feel free to school me on that. The only thing bad for the dogs, I think, is that it seems to sit up higher in the back making a bigger jump into the back. Just looking for thoughts. Tim

Hi chef_tim!

I noted some '09 forester info at http://www.cars101.com/subaru/forester/forester2009.html

If you scroll down on that page, Joe has all the info on the various trim levels :headbang:

2009 Summary. The completely remodeled, all new 2009 Forester is a slightly larger car than previous models, with a 103" wheelbase (3.6" longer than previous years). The light beige interior is finally gone! New double-wishbone rear suspension improves crash-worthiness and the same time providing crisper handling, a quieter ride and increased interior space and cargo room. The car is expected to start arriving in late March-early April with customer sold pre-orders arriving first of course. Pre-orders are accepted starting in early February.

Romans 5:8 signature yes good! "But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

Okay, here's a question from a dog show person. THREE dogs. What breed dogs, and how old/big are they? I have an Imp, and the Forester cargo mat almost fits perfectly. The only real difference is the height.

Do you use crates? Three won't fit unless you're carrying Toys. If not, unless you're running small Nonsporting dogs (Bostons) or smaller terriers your dogs had better be best buds in tight quarters. Three Goldens or three spaniels? No way. ONE Borzoi won't happily fit with a dog travel bag with food, bowls, water carrier, cooler, and dog bed.

If you plan on carrying any kind of luggage or other cargo at the same time as the dogs, it won't work, IMHO. Unless you mean to put it all in the trailer.

http://www.dogcars.com is a great site, HERE is their review of the 07 Forester

Just my educated 2 cents' worth.

Your gonna love this :lol:

We have three Rottweilers, two females at 80lbs and a big boy at 110lbs:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Everyone fits fine in the 97 OBW, I did just install a gate to keep "Big Head" out of the front. The back seat is almost never in the up position.

Later, Tim

I am hearing that the 09s are deemed ugly:rolleyes: ..Like the 08 Imp. ( both of which i find stupid and wrong) The 09 is a nice vehicle..I like it better then the previous years...The interior is just like the 08 Imp...same design and material.

I think it will be fine for dogs..I ( as an X dog show person :grin: ) had my Rotty and 3 Norwegian Elkhounds in a GL wagon without problems.

I think the kids will like the new ride....BUT remember there may be issues with the new design like we are having with the 08 Imp...there is 1 ( Forester ) touring the country and it has the same issues with stone chipping that the 08s have. To me its not a huge deal..more of an inconvenience..but SOA is working with us on a fix.

My suggestion is..when they are released take on for a spin..I mean a real good spin and go fro there...Its what made me fall in love with my Imp. And the piece of mind I finally have ..is just...immeasurable

Thanks for the links everyone. There is one on our dealers lot right now:eek: . Took them until March to get an 08 STI, but they must be one of the first to get a Forester. It's not as ugly as the Imps (jab, jab) but then it is a very different car too. I think we will test drive it soon and let you all know what I think. Tim

It's not as ugly as the Imps (jab, jab)

You know I am so tired of all the ugly imp jabs:mad::mad: Disregard my comments Tims..I dont know why I even bother coming on this board anymore. All that any of you seem to be able to do is insult..Must make yourself feel real big huh?? Guess y'all liked it better when I am driving complete broke down garbage

You know I am so tired of all the ugly imp jabs:mad::mad: Disregard my comments Tims..I dont know why I even bother coming on this board anymore. All that any of you seem to be able to do is insult..Must make yourself feel real big huh?? Guess y'all liked it better when I am driving complete broke down garbage

We still love ya Bucky;) even without the rust.

I am hearing that the 09s are deemed ugly:rolleyes: ..Like the 08 Imp. ( both of which i find stupid and wrong)

So let me get this straight, if you own one it's okay to call it ugly (even as sarcasm), but God help the person who is just giving a bit of ribbing???

(jab, jab)
was intended to show humor. I could honestly care less what they look like, If I don't like it I'm not going to buy it. If you are this distresed over other people talking about a car (not even yours specifically) you may want to consider going back to old junk just for the peace of mind. (<-now that's funny:lol: :lol: :lol: )

And now bak to 09 Foresters.............

Three Rotts? Oh, my. And here I was worried about a curly-haired floor mat on stilts! (I used to show breed/lure course/do Obedience with my Borzoi. I'm between dogs now. :( )

Note the dogcars user reviews were mostly for ONE dog. All I can say is take all three of them along to the dealer, with a dog blanket (or two) big enough to completely cover the dog area. Tell the salesman it's up to the dogs - and stick to it. I found dealers willing to let me pop a (clean) dog and/or crate into the vehicle I was looking at. I was totally prepared to walk out and go to another dealer. You may have to do the same.

Try it seats up and seat/seats down. You never know when you'll need to squeeze an extra passenger in the back while the dogs are along, or even a flat tire.

Note the Forester rear seat does not go down like the Imp/OBW. It stays at a slight angle. If your dogs are picky about their ride (one of mine wouldn't lie on anything at an angle while I was moving), they'll let you know pretty fast.

Hopefully you won't need a slop rag; if you DO have droolers, clean 'em up before the salesman sees it or you'll have no chance getting the dogs in the car.

Cargo mat, even aftermarket is a must, I think. Look at the new 08/09 one, though, to make sure the forward lip is not solidly upright and still bends. I'd hate to lie on a sharp edge - your dogs probably would too.

Good luck and give your dogs each a pat for me!

We have three Rottweilers, two females at 80lbs and a big boy at 110lbs:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Everyone fits fine in the 97 OBW, I did just install a gate to keep "Big Head" out of the front. The back seat is almost never in the up position.

I don't know if 09 will be the same, but Foresters are alot shorter. Back seat folded, and the gate jut behind the front seat will be fine. But back seat up would be tight ride for the doggies.

• 2 weeks later...

I drove a 2009 Forester XT today....

very nice... I love the panoramic sunroof too. felt like I was in a convertible...

It was the 5 speed AUtomatic with sport shift....

I'm ready to sell my turbo outback to get one... :)

we also drove a 2008 Tribeca, and really liked it as well....

It's obvious when the anti-lock brakes engage. So, I know EXACTLY how many times I used the ABS during the seven years and 200,000 miles that I owned my 99 Forester. TWICE!!! And, it didn't exactly save my life either time. I would have braked safely both times without it.

STANDARD VDC on the 08 Forester which means you pay for it whether you want/need it or not. Just more padding on the sticker's bottom line.

Maybe by making the Forester into an overpriced, bloated sack of useless "features" the Tribecca won't look quite so bad in comparison.

So I'm starting to plan my stratagy. I'll wait until March 09, when the 10s come out and get it with some of the end of year perks that I'm seeing with the 08s right now. Things like cash back, 0% intrest etc. Then in two to three years it will get traded off on a Diesel. Still need to drive one, but with everything I've read and seen it will only be a formality:grin: . Thanks for all the input so far. Now to see who is gonna be "first" to own one!!!

Just got back from looking at one. They do not have a temp gauge but an idiot light. Lots of room throughout the entire car. Talk from the salesmen is a H-6 as under the hood looks to have a ton of room for one. The blue gauges are a nice touch as well.

Just got back from looking at one. They do not have a temp gauge but an idiot light. Lots of room throughout the entire car. Talk from the salesmen is a H-6 as under the hood looks to have a ton of room for one. The blue gauges are a nice touch as well.

The deal with the temp light is...its actually better then the old idiot lights..shows blue when cold..goes off when normal and ( I guess) shows red when it gets hot. Not saying its great knowing the history of these motors but still slightly better thenthe old fashioned idiot light.

I am thinking on maybe..in the future..going with a pillar guage set up..but it has to look good cause..well..I like my cars "clean".

NICE!! Blue guages?? Way Cool! I like my Red but Blue would be awesome.

Very interesting about the new gauge cluster/temp light... I'm surprised a full needle gauge isn't optional.

I also noticed this from: http://www.cars101.com/subaru/forester/forester2009.html

new All 2009 Subarus have the new Subaru Super Coolant. This new coolant is blue in color and has an extended life of 10 years before servicing is required and CAN NOT BE MIXED with other kinds..

That's interesting, I wonder what "type" of coolant this is?

Very interesting about the new gauge cluster/temp light... I'm surprised a full needle gauge isn't optional.

I know with the 08 Imps the WRX and the STis have the full guage clusters..the 2.5i has just the light. I am sure the sports model Foresters will have the same full clusters...at least you wuld think but you never know.

The deal with the temp light is...it's actually better then the old idiot lights..shows blue when cold..goes off when normal and ( I guess) shows red when it gets hot.

Very "retro":headbang: . My 1966 Galaxie has the same set-up but with two lights!!!

So we just went back and look again and the Forester is just to small in the back, even with the added lenght and width. But now, I see some very nice incentives on the 08 Outbacks. 0% financing, 0 down and cash back:eek: :eek: :eek: . We may end up in an 08 Outback yet:banana: :banana: :banana:

Very "retro":headbang: . My 1966 Galaxie has the same set-up but with two lights!!!

So we just went back and look again and the Forester is just to small in the back, even with the added lenght and width. But now, I see some very nice incentives on the 08 Outbacks. 0% financing, 0 down and cash back:eek: :eek: :eek: . We may end up in an 08 Outback yet:banana: :banana: :banana:

:slobber::slobber::slobber::slobber::slobber: The 08 Outbacks:slobber::slobber::slobber::slobber: I was all over one when I got the Imp but it was about $6000 more then my Imp.:-\

Good Luck with whichever works best for you