Ultimate Subaru Message Board

:banana:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_engine

(6 piston engine rather)

Just kidding. But I did hear they're coming out with an H4 diesel!

:burnout:

"While the Deltic engine was successful and very powerful for its size and weight, it was a high-strung unit, requiring much maintenance. This led to a policy of maintenance by unit replacement rather than repair in place. Deltic engines were easily removed upon breakdown, generally being sent back to the manufacturer for repair."

Most of us not having public funding for engine maintenance, I doubt this will ever find it's way under the hood of a passenger car. Or maybe the car could be sold with one or two replacement engines...:popcorn:

"While the Deltic engine was successful and very powerful for its size and weight, it was a high-strung unit, requiring much maintenance. This led to a policy of maintenance by unit replacement rather than repair in place. Deltic engines were easily removed upon breakdown, generally being sent back to the manufacturer for repair."

Most of us not having public funding for engine maintenance, I doubt this will ever find it's way under the hood of a passenger car. Or maybe the car could be sold with one or two replacement engines...:popcorn:

So basically it was the mechanical equivilant of a trophy wife.

nipper

That deltic engine looks to be the illegitimate love child of a ninja star and a spirograph set. Not in a million years could I fathom someone coming up with an engine design such as that.
and here i thought the spiral graph was responsable for the wankle :)

and here i thought the spiral graph was responsable for the wankle :)

hahaha

and technically, isn't this a 3 cylinder with 6 pistons? note the article never says "six cylinder"

pretty unique concept, the things men come up with while sitting on the crapper!! :lol:

The opposed piston Deltic was based on work done in Germany in the early 1930s--the Junkers Jumo, a diesel intended for aircraft!

Now here's the latest iteration, the OPOC engine.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2005/05/fev_developing_.html

Looks interesting. Hey, it may be the future. :burnout:

Looks like the next generation of Turbocharged Subaru Diesels.