Ultimate Subaru Message Board

$1000 for a brat that doesnt run, needs body work, what does everyone think?

Found a brat on Craiglist. The guy is selling 2 for $2900... one runner and one as parts. Neither pass smog, the parts brat doesnt run but the body looks reasonable. The only parts that are dented are easily replaced. Drivers door & fender. The Parts brat doesnt run and will need to be towed to my house.

I got a reply and the guy sais he'll take $1000 for the parts brat. What do you guys think? I have a hard time spending $1k for something I have to tow home and then tinker with, without any garantee it will pass smog.

DSCF0558.JPG

DSCF0655.JPG

home3.jpg

I myself think its over priced. But Im not sure if I will be able to find anything else anytime soon. What do you guys think?

-Brian

Im sure the car will come without a brush guard. That doesnt bother me.

He mentioned it has a brand new motor in it, just not connected. He said he spent $500 on the engine and thats why he wants $1000 for the car.

I think im going to work on selling the Toyota to fund this project. I expect to spend at least $200 to tow it back home, which adds to the cost.

I have a spare engine as well. Only thing im concerned about is finding a matching fender and door.... other than that, the smog check will be a huge hurdle.

other than that, the smog check will be a huge hurdle.

Is is hard to make subaru's pass emissions in California? I've never had any problem making them pass the test here in Colorado, dyno test always comes in at less than a quarter of the allowed amounts, for both EA81's and EA82's, carbed and SPFI (even with the check engine light on it was still fine). Either I've lucked out and had ones that run well... or Colorado's limits for 80's cars are really high.

On the fender, isn't it the same as an EA81 wagon -- should be easy to find a good one in CA. Not sure about the door though.

Z

.... I expect to spend at least $200 to tow it back home, which adds to the cost.

IF its not too far.... consider a AAA membership.... its like $80 per year I think. Just dont use the tow too soon after getting it.... like wait a week or 2 or more maybe (if you have time for that)

Plus you have it later if you break down or get locked out or something.

Use more than 4 tows a year and they threaten to charge you more though :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's probably a good estimate for Petaluma.

I dunno man, remember how tough it was to never get that free wagon smogged, after all that work you did to get it going. It may take a few extra bucks once you get this one going just to get it to pass smog testing (Cat, maybe a new carb, etc). It's getting mighty tough for anything carbed to pass in CA any more, even Hondas.

Considering the condition and lack of a SMOG cert, the asking price is a mite high.

Just my 2 bucks, of course.

And yeah, the smog testing here in CA is very stringent.

-Brian

Yeah, come to think of it, I don't know of many cars other than carbed dodges that CAN'T pass emissions here in Colorado... wonder why they even bother testing if the limits are so high.

Z

Not many people would buy one of those cars for that price...and so his cars sit on crags list.

I would call him and offer him 1k for both cars (if you want both), then if he says no, say that you will call him back a little later. Call him back a week later and ask again, I bet he will take it then.

Some people thinh there crap is worth allot of money just because they waisted money on it, heck maybe he is one of those nuts that thinks he "invested" money into it lol

I wouldn't pay more then 1k for both of them, if I was only to get one of the two cars then less then 500 as they are a pair (one running that looks like chit, one not running that looks a little better).

In his craigslist ad he mentions two ebay ad's. One of them is a Brat that sold for $3500 and the other is a Brat that sold for $5500. So he thinks what he is sitting on is gold. What he fails to realize, are both of those brats were running, driving, smogged and pretty immaculate (but still overpriced in my eyes).

Im not going to make an offer on both of his brats. I dont have room to park the other and have no desire to ride around in an ugly yellow brat. When I have the money, I will email him again and tell him $750 and I'll tow it home. If he still doesnt take the offer I will just let him sit on them and try and find another one somewhere. These things are not THAT rare.

-Brian

Brian, I was sort of interested in the one that runs, but i didnt want the other one... maybe we can talk him down. he's had those things on and off of craigs for well over a year, i remember talking to him before i bought my teal brat which was over a year ago....if you can talk him way down, maybe we can work something out.... let me knowwhat you think. I'd be down to drive down and check them out with you...

-nicole