Ultimate Subaru Message Board

PRICE GOUGING MO-FO's

So I called my local dealer for a price on a t-stat for my '88DL wagon... They couldn't find it in the system but found one for a '93 Loyale with the 1800 engine so I'm figuring it's the same EA82...

Long story short they want $54 and change for it!!

yep, stealership for ya.

i just pulled out my parts quick reference guide.

it lists 21200AA120, but when I look that up, it says it's been superceded by 21200AA121.

List price is 14.95. subaruparts.com has it for 11.39, and 1stsubaruparts.com has it for 10.76.

and the housing gasket is 11072AA030. list: 1.80, subaru parts: 1.37, 1stsubaru parts: 1.30.

I usually print out the shopping cart from either site with everything I need, and the local dealer will usually give me the list price for stuff. usually the cheapest and easiest option (no, they won't automatically give you the list price for things, there are a number of ways that they use to price things, and there's always some flexibility).

yep, stealership for ya.

I almost got arrested at a dealership once. :mad:

Went into the Nissan dealer and wanted a very simple relay called a 'clutch switch' (has nothing to do with your clutch). They quoted me $75, and trust me...it's not a complex part at all.

So I tell the guy behind the counter: "You know, when somebody tries to rob me, I usually have to see a gun or something...otherwise I don't give up the money."

At first, he didn't get it, but when he did, he just gave me this blank look. I told the other people in the line that the dealership was gouging people and they were nothing but a bunch of crooks. He told me to leave, or he was calling the cops.

So, I left. Went to the wrecking yard and got the switch for two bucks.

I always buy OEM parts from Jason at Mike Scarf Subaru (1stsubaruparts.com). I find it's easier to call Jason at 866-528-5282 (toll free) than to wade through the junk on the website. He ships anywhere in the country and the shipping cost for small items is usually offset by not having to pay sales tax (unless you're in WA state).

OEM or not, I always look up every part number available for the part I need, then search the net, ebay, and even craigslist to find it. I must have saved thousands doing that over the past 6 years or so. Kind of like the GCK axles from amazon.com , $48 shipped, but Autozone wanted $130.