Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Any substitute for an H6 tranny?

subasab

Hi all, still stuck with my defective H6 tranny on my 2002 H6 OUtback. Whille searching for a solution, i came accross some reading mentionning this:

A) Subaru H6 tranny uses many parts from Nissan Pathfinder and Mazda MPV tranny

B) Some retrofitted the H6 engines with some older Subaru transmission or the opposite : a H6 tranny on an older engine.

Is any of the above might help me find a solution? H6 transmission are a hard thing to find on he used market.

IF YOU HAVE A USED H6 4-AUT TRANSMISSION, DROP ME A LINE.

Thanks!

I've never heard anything about subaru trannies sharing parts with nissans or mazdas, but I suppose it's possible.

but, all subaru 4EATs (that's 4-speed Electronic Auto Trans) are almost identical in design. only differences are gear ratios, and there are a few different designs for the torque converter (just means the converter and flex plate have to match the trans).

so any subaru 4EAT will work, provided you have the flex plate, TQ, and rear diff (might not need those things....but it might be cheaper to get your hands on a whole car). also, while you're in there, add on an external trans oil cooler, this will greatly increase the longevity of the new trans.

Subaru and Nissan's share quite a few parts.

The fact that nissan got the contract to rebuild subaru trannies doesnt mean anything. My engine bought from subaru was rebuilt by a (forget the name) over the road HD diesel truck mfg, yet i dont claim it to be a semi :)

nipper

Subaru and Nissan's share quite a few parts.

The fact that nissan got the contract to rebuild subaru trannies doesnt mean anything. My engine bought from subaru was rebuilt by a (forget the name) over the road HD diesel truck mfg, yet i dont claim it to be a semi :)

nipper

pretty sure that's how I read it on the svx forums.. but that was 3 years or more ago.

and then realize why subaru never offered a 6-cyl + 5MT combination......they can't handle the torque. 6MT or auto.
What torque? The 01-04 H6 has less torque than an 02 WRX, which came with a 5-speed, and the 5-speeds have plenty of upgrades if you think thats an issue, or screw it and go straight for an STI 6-speed...

yea, the EZ's aren't exactly torque monsters, but they peak lower and sooner than 4-cyls. I don't know anyone who's done a 5MT swap into an EZ30D car, but I wouldn't do it....

I'll be doing it here soon... hopefully later this month... well kinda... by EZ30D car, more like a car with an EZ30D :-p :banana:

they do 5mt swaps into EG33 cars all the time. I'm not sure how this would be too different.

know anyone who uses all 6 cylinders and has had it last more than a year? I know one guy, but he drives like an old woman......

I'll be doing it here soon... hopefully later this month... well kinda... by EZ30D car, more like a car with an EZ30D :-p :banana:

I'd be worried, but it'll help a ton that your '6 weighs what, 700lbs less than the outback?

and then realize why subaru never offered a 6-cyl + 5MT combination......they can't handle the torque. 6MT or auto.

yeah but about every SVX in the world needs even a new auto by 100k miles and keeps eating them faster from there. there was a trick to the 5spd thing the guy who did the first one told me. he lives in somerset,ky and has i think 5 subies now. had 2 svx a couple years ago both 5spd swapped. he also did a 3.3 into his XT6.

i say f*** it. 6spd or bust! :headbang:

yeah but about every SVX in the world needs even a new auto by 100k miles and keeps eating them faster from there. there was a trick to the 5spd thing the guy who did the first one told me. he lives in somerset,ky and has i think 5 subies now. had 2 svx a couple years ago both 5spd swapped. he also did a 3.3 into his XT6.

you're talking about Huck ;)

I'd be worried, but it'll help a ton that your '6 weighs what, 700lbs less than the outback?

Probably more... H6 outbacks roll in at 3770 lbs.. I'm more at the 2400 lbs or so... :banana:

+1 on Huck being the man... Don't really recall him having transmission issues....

yep, the huckster......

add an external tranny cooler to that trans, and it'll hold up muuuuuuch longer.