Ultimate Subaru Message Board

short shifter-DONE!!..Picture added!!

I have an EA81 5 speed sedan and i want a shorter shifter. What is the best way to do this. I was planning on cutting it down to a good lenth with a hack saw then cutting new 12mmX1.25 threads with a die. Is this possible or is the better method to cut it off down low, cut out a chunk of the shifter, then weld it together shorter?

"Short", and "short throw" are different. Which do you want?

The EA81 trans isn't really suited to speed shifting - a short throw shifter might not really work out well. You may end up having to conciously shift slower to compensate for the throw being so short if you end up with any grinding, ect.

If you want it to be short throw you have to move the pivot point down in relation to the location of the shift rod. That usually means adding a section between the pivot and the shift rod connection. Then you can shorten the shifter as well to keep the height the same, or shorten it more to give it the "short" shifter as well.

GD

i dont really need it to be a "short throw" but just shorten the shifter rod. Its extremely tall and it would feel more precise i believe if i shortened the rod. In other words im not interested in changing the pivot point, Im just interested in shortening the chrome shift rod. Not sure if its easier to cut new threads or to cut it down and weld it on shorter.

You can't weld on the shifter - it's nylon insulated against vibration. You will melt the plastic inside that pretty chrome tube.

Better to cut the thing off and replace with solid rod - threaded to your liking.

GD

If you're careful you can do it. I did it on my '78 Brat I had since the tall shifter meant I kept putting my knuckles awfully close to the stereo I had.

I cut the threads off the top, cut out about 5" of rod, then welded the threads back on since I couldn't source up a 12x1.25 tap.

Ok didnt realize that it wasnt a solid piece of metal. I have the 12mmX1.25 die so in theory is the metal soft enough for me to just cut it off and cut new threads? Or will that leave an opening at the top of the shifter rod?

Ok didnt realize that it wasnt a solid piece of metal. I have the 12mmX1.25 die so in theory is the metal soft enough for me to just cut it off and cut new threads? Or will that leave an opening at the top of the shifter rod?

The rod where the shifter knob screws onto is solid. The thicker part below that is not solid. So it just depends on how much you cut off.

I know the top section of the EA82 shifter is soft. When I put my stainless shift knob on, I noticed that the threads only went partway down the 'threaded' part of the rod.

I used a lugnut to cut the rest of the threads into the metal. It dropped my knob down a little over an inch.. Just about perfect. :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

Shortened it!!! I just threaded the die onto the existing threads and went down another inch or a bit more with the threads. Then i cut off 2 inches of the shifter rod and screwed the shift knob back on. Looks great and feels even better. Its a lot less sloppy and more defined where each gear is.

very nice! i particularly like that wood knob, hatchsub. how does it feel shortened? does it require more effort to fully engage each gear after the loss of leverage?

Maybe just a hair but the advantage of not having so much slop in the shifter is worth it. Its very easy to shift it right the first time (and before anyone asks i already replaced bushings). All in all i would recomend it. Its a better height.

Someone on here has done that... I cant remember who, it was on my thread that had like 10 billion posts on it. (it was deleted)

Well... I`ve Posted this Pic Before, it is my Yellow Wagon`s Shortened Shifter, with Stainless Steel + Aluminium Knob to add "Feeling"

:D

Loyale_2_7_Shift_Stick.jpg

Shorter Shift is Better (I Think) also I Think That`s Why Newer Cars comes with Short Shifter too...

Your Shortened Shifters looks Very Nice! :burnout:

Well... I`ve Posted this Pic Before, it is my Yellow Wagon`s Shortened Shifter, with Stainless Steel + Aluminium Knob to add "Feeling"

:D

Loyale_2_7_Shift_Stick.jpg

Shorter Shift is Better (I Think) also I Think That`s Why Newer Cars comes with Short Shifter too...

Your Shortened Shifters looks Very Nice! :burnout:

This is actually one of the reasons i did it. I saw yours and decided i wanted one too. Love the metal shift knob.