Ultimate Subaru Message Board

got the new hatch home... pics added, for real this time..

its a gutless pig.. but i'm sure thats due to the carb flooding it any chance it gets.. the car ran on 3 cylinders as well.. other than that it was smooth ridin, drove straight, etc..

i get to clean the living piss outa it today, and give it a tune-up..

i'll also get to swap the weber at some point.. going to paint the rusty chipped white wagon wheels flat black.. ohh and gotta put a stereo in it too, lol...

its an 89' gl hatch.. looks like it had every option they offered back then.. AC, factory fog lights (broken :mad: ) pretty clean really, seats are not ripped, just a little dirty.. body is perfect, no dents, and barely any rust at all.. lights all worked too...

is a small crack in the windshield about 6" long, but goes from the bottom drivers side to the bottom of the windshield...

on the title it says the owner was "original", the car was donated to the heart and lung association, then given to the junk yard, where Scrapdaddytatum got lines on it for me..

it also says its a 4dr stationwagon, lol.. so i get to verify the vin, and get that corrected when i go to register it..

so a big thanks to Scrapdaddytatum (Jules) for hookin me up with the car.. now i get to go cleaning, lol...

not bad for drivin it away from a junkyard, hehe :D

yeah, the rust is super minimal, deffinitely rescuable.. gonna cut it out when summer comes around, then fix it :)

that double pully alt has me cornfused.. the outer part of it rubs on the ac belt.. i got a single pully alt so it'll go on there eventually..

like that little plastic cover eh? thats factory.. works great when ya go to the car wash and wash under the hood.. nothin gets wet...

ohh yeah, its got cold ac too. lol after the tune up, now that its running on all 4, it purrs like a kitten.. drives like one too... will peg the speedo on the flats no prob.. good oil pressure, temp, and doesn't leak from what i can tell.. i don't think i'll be puttin the weber on it.. it runs too nice.. you can go out turn the key after its sat all night, and she fires right up, and idles smooth.. no pumping required, lol... and its already been prewired for an amp under the drivers seat, hehe.. clutch is awsome as well...

the bad things.. brakes are almost non existent.. gotta pull wheels today and check/replace/bleed them.. the rear lift shocks are shot.. wiper arms are off a dodge or something.. deffinitely not soobie..(tried to replace the wipers, haha, that didn't work)

the heater has somethin in it preventing air flow, and makin lots of ruckus.. prolly a mouse got in it and made a home..

wagon wheels are a bit rusty (they'll get fixed too tho) missin a couple plastic pieces inside..and the shifter linkage is real sloppy..

most of this i'm going to take care of today, and go run it through inspection..

Originally posted by Meeky Moose

ohh yeah, its got cold ac too. lol after the tune up, now that its running on all 4, it purrs like a kitten.. drives like one too... will peg the speedo on the flats no prob.. good oil pressure, temp, and doesn't leak from what i can tell.. i don't think i'll be puttin the weber on it.. it runs too nice.. you can go out turn the key after its sat all night, and she fires right up, and idles smooth.. no pumping required, lol... and its already been prewired for an amp under the drivers seat, hehe.. clutch is awsome as well...

the bad things.. brakes are almost non existent.. gotta pull wheels today and check/replace/bleed them.. the rear lift shocks are shot.. wiper arms are off a dodge or something.. deffinitely not soobie..(tried to replace the wipers, haha, that didn't work)

the heater has somethin in it preventing air flow, and makin lots of ruckus.. prolly a mouse got in it and made a home..

wagon wheels are a bit rusty (they'll get fixed too tho) missin a couple plastic pieces inside..and the shifter linkage is real sloppy..

Man... if that's what you found in a junkyard, I guess I know who I ought to start hanging out with on my junkyard trips). That sounds like exactly the project car I want for my daily driver...

'Course, the wife is already complaining again about me wanting an "Old Subaru" for my daily driver, claiming that she feels a newer car would be more reliable. I'd hate to see what happens if I bring home something out of the junkyard? :(:rolleyes:

Congrats again on the score, MM :D

some of the replacement alternators came with dual groove pulleys,as for that shield, thats a hard find, i personaly have only saw that twice, i have one for sale if anyone is interested.....looks like a nice unmolested specimen, you can buy the patches for repairing the rear of the cquater, bought a set 2 years ago from miller supply...

Rory,was that "Mill Supply" or Miller Supply?

I've seen Mill,but not Miller.

Bitchin hatch!!!! Yes,boys and girls cars that are well worth keeping make it to the yards every day,every hour,all across this waste wasteland.We could all tell stories for days on this subject.

well if anyone wants a yard car before i get it, theres an 88 spfi wagon at a yard here, perfect, no rust, not even a spot.. engine is clean enough to eat off of and runs like it looks.. interior is just dirty, not ripped nothing.. its a 2wd auto and has a bad tranny... perfect candidate for a 5-speed conversion.. $350 bones is all they want.. deffinitely worth it imo...

i may go snag it when taxes come back if noone else has..

on another note... i did all 4 brakes on the hatch today, air filter, put my h-alloys on it, and tinkered with a few other things.. it runs and drives like a new car now... best yard steal i ever came across..

The double pulley alt is likely from an EA82 - all the later EA81's (83+), and the EA82's (turbo and non), use the same alt. Depending on where the AC is on the EA82, it will have double or single pulley's. If someone got one from a JY, then that would explain it - or if they bought a rebuilt, and it came that way....

It doesn't have every option - in fact it's missing quite a few..... CC being the most obvious that was most definately an option - either dealer or factory - both styles were possible on EA81's. There's other options that it may have missed out on because it's an 89, and that's the last year they made hatches.

Nice looking hatch tho - and looks like the rust is repairable too. POR15 time.....

GD

Actually, I have never seen a EA81 hatchback with cruise. The hatch's were more of the entry level car. Never seen one with PS either come to think of it.

That is definitely an EA82 alternator.

Pretty good shape considering it was in the JY. The effected areas will probably be best restored with fiberglass after removing the bad spots.

Disty shields are really not that rare though Rory. Not trying to undermine your sale though. Your price is good if someone can't get one. I have a couple of them sitting on the wall.(but they're not for sale, sorry)

Hhhmmm - niether have I that I can recall - but CC was a dealer option too - I believe there was a kit floating around on the board a while back - SOA dealer CC kit for any EA81....

So it's possible for one to have it I think. I suppose that you can't count that since it's not a factory install..... but then neither were the fog lights I dont' think....

Yeah - seen a number of disty sheilds myself - what I find often times is that the clips on the air box are busted, and that's why they are gone.....

GD

CC would be nice.. but can't ask for it all... foglights on this puppy were factory... all wiring and the factory orange push button to turn them on leads me to that conclusion... too bad they were bashed into somethin so hard they got crushed, then rusted out so badly there was nothing left but half a shell..

i wanna find another pair to put back on there.. they look nice, and that factory button is going to waste.. i know i could get aftermarket but where the nostalgia in that? hehe...

The fog lights were almost certainly a dealer install. It's a SOA "upgrade" of sorts - much like the dealer installed CC, or A/C. That switch on the dash is the same as the Passing light (center lamp) switch, and the older style CC switch (also dealer installed). In fact - if you had an 82 with the center lamp, CC, and the fog lights, you would have all the switches filled up down there....

GD