Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i am new to the site and i have some questions

welcome aboard to USMB!

No, if everything is working properly you do not want to drive around in 4WD. Frankly you should never use it except for snow, ice, or off road.

It is true 4WD, driving it in 4WD will break things, eventually the transmission.

4WD is for soft surfaces - like gravel, dirt, and mud.

If you drive in 4WD on hard pavement you will not hurt anything (with stock tire sizes), but you will have "torque bind" where the car will not want to go forward if you try to turn sharply..Just like a truck. This is not AWD so it is not designed for dry pavement.

GD

the question i have is why would you want to. with power going to all four wheels or at least most of them your going to burn more gas. More then if you just left it in 2wd. no reason to use it unless front wheel drive doesnt look tough enought and believe me its pretty tough.

Ben

the question i have is why would you want to. with power going to all four wheels or at least most of them your going to burn more gas. More then if you just left it in 2wd. no reason to use it unless front wheel drive doesnt look tough enought and believe me its pretty tough.

Ben

Because fulltime 4wd rocks :headbang:

But only if its made to do that. I get 24mpg on the hiway in my RX.....as long as my foot stays light.

4WD is for soft surfaces - like gravel, dirt, and mud.

If you drive in 4WD on hard pavement you will not hurt anything (with stock tire sizes), but you will have "torque bind" where the car will not want to go forward if you try to turn sharply..Just like a truck. This is not AWD so it is not designed for dry pavement.

GD

I've got to disagree with not hurting anything. If the tires are not all the same size you have the potential of locking up the transmission and not being able to get it out of gear. Been there and done that; fortunately nothing broke but the problem is quite obvious and it will force you to resolve the issue quickly.

Ben

In 2WD all the same stuff has to turn as if you were in 4WD. This is because Subarus don't have locking hubs on the rear. The only thing that will be a problem with economy is torque bind, which AWD doesn't get.

I've got to disagree with not hurting anything. If the tires are not all the same size you have the potential of locking up the transmission and not being able to get it out of gear. Been there and done that; fortunately nothing broke but the problem is quite obvious and it will force you to resolve the issue quickly.

I drived my old 4sp around in 4WD for about six months. Only thing it wore (noticable, transmission was used for a year in another car after with no trouble as well) was the rear DOJ cups.

Easy fixed

i only used 4wd in dry conditions when i was driving in the twisties at speed. above 45mph, there is usually enough slip between the road and tires that the driveline doesnt bind. i never had any issues with 4wd on dry unless i was going slow and making tight turns.

4wd can be very useful in th rain, and fun as well.

hey, i just noticed that you are in Va Beach, thats where i grew up, not that i ever grew up.

ill be down that way in about two weeks.

dude cool that you grew up here were about did you grow up at

i grew up in a neighborhood called camerons crossing, it was a small condo development next to pelican watch off of buckner blvd. the court i lived on was directly across the street from the back entrance of the princess anne blvd tcc campus.

hell, one of my bests friends still lives right down the street from there, or did last year.

i am actually going to the outer banks in NC in two weks to see my dad, but its a good likelyhood that ill be in va beach to see my brother at some point. maybe we can meet up at some point while i am down there.