Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Solid Axle Swap - Looking for info

Knichol

I just realized my nieghbor builds prerunner Fords and Toyota's and he thinks it would be great to build up a subaru to plink around with.

I have searched through treads but haven't been able to find to specific information on solid axles under subarus.

specific question - hopefully someone has already done the research and may save me some time. What if anything has close to the same width axles as an EA82 wagon? I would like to get something that doesn't stick the wheels out too far, (I can adjust overall looks with wheel selection) I haven't pull specs on the typical yota's, datsun, samari's, nissan, jeeps, ford's. If someone has already looked into this please let me know or PM me.

Qmans Brat is the ultimate in straight axle setups. Even had a electric locker.

It has a Isuzu rearend and a Nissan T-Case.

And its a tad narrower than a Subaru track.

Death Hatch never moved under its own power I dont think (never finished).

Toyota solid axles worked realy well for me width wise... When I had yota solids under my wagon they fit damn near perfect, I had wheels with 3.5" back spacing and some 1.25 or 1.5 inch wheel spacers... The tires were 35x10.5 r15 i believe and about half of the tire, 5"s, stuck out on each side... So minus the wheel spacers, adjust the backspacing, and run thinner tires and the width should come out pretty close to stock...

Thanks for the info on this guys. We got the car up on his lift lastnight and just through some idea's around on mounting points and what needs to change to make a 4 link work.

If you have the skills to do so, link is definitely the way to go, next time around I am definately going with links...

I know Tex..... I get that way sometimes! Will this happen - I would give it a 50/50 chance. Depends if I can find parts in a cost effective way!

From what I have found Toy parts are the cheapest way to go, since they are most plentiful... But if you are going ot do it right it will not be cheap by no means... Also I ran a sami tcase because of the many regearing options out there and compared to other tcases the prices are pretty reasonable too, only bad thing is the tcase will most likely be slanted to the passanger side... This will be perfect for the toy front but not so good for the rear...

This was my wagon when it was still independent suspension....

th_900a7d62.jpg

th_d2c4b68f.jpg

These are pics with the rear solid axle mounted without wheel spacers adn and without aggressive backspaced wheels;

th_RearSideprofile.jpg

Good friend of mine he's 6'5" on a bad day...

th_BrandonHeight67.jpg

th_DirtyWagonSideRear.jpg

G'luck with your build, hopefully you will raise the bar for the rest of us...

I've dreamt of a 4 link for years :-p

Are there any Sami's out there with 4 links?

There's a Suzuki X90 that runs around TSF on some big meats with a 4 link setup.

Crazy lookin' little thing.

I'll have to take some pics of it next time I see it out there. Guy did a really good job on it.

when i measured it out it appeared that a nice subframe could be fabricated that would mount to all the stock locations with the perfect amount of room for a 4 link setup to be built on.

i had the frrame and axles under the brat checking width and legnth.

the toyota axle up front would render the best outcome i believe.it is skinny enough to pull off, but wide enough for a good stance.

i mean basically the 4 link comes from the center (front to back ) of the vehicle.so whetever you are mounting it to should live there.(welded to ************ and bolted to piss.......)