Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subari?

Knichol

Today I pick up a complete rolling samurai frame. I will be placing the body of my wagon including motor and trans on the frame of the samurai. I haven't completed a frame swap/modification like this before so I am a bit excited! On that note, for those of you who know, if there are any tips or tricks that maybe helpful, or if you want to share your mistakes please, I am all ears! I will post pictures as updates as they happen.

Thank you for those whom have already lent some assistance! (cough* cough*... SJR, bratsrus1, monstaru, etc.)

Well it's whatever a stock samurai is. The four link will come at a later point once all gets put together. Should handle a little nicer than a samurai because of the lengthened wheel base. The front as the funky mod where you set the front leafs back so that the forword end of the spring is monted to the axle. I will take that out and place it back to stock. Pics will be up tonight.

Hi This is Jerry, you need to come over to my place and see how i did my hatch brat. It is on a sammy frame, you can call me 1-509-952-2855 but you really should come and see it. That way you will say oh thats how you done that. Thanks Jerry

Thanks I am actually going to Yakima this weekend, so I will call you. When is the best time for you?

IMAGE_048.jpg

IMAGE_046.jpg

IMAGE_050.jpg

Pefect thanks scott

Thanks I am actually going to Yakima this weekend, so I will call you. When is the best time for you?

showphoto.php?photo=21320

ok i seem not to be good enough at computers to post pictures... heres the link to my album

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showgallery.php?cat=1171

Kenny

just pick on the picture , hit copy then go to your post and hit paste, thats how I do my pics, have 2 windows open makes it easier , did you get that frame from a guy out in Ferndale on th rez? lake terrel?

um, definately not stock sami supension. they didn't come with rednecked 1/4 elliptical suspension. way more flex and fairly safe if they are setup correctly. otherwise they are a train wreck and a hazard. a few things to consider with that suspension setup, hopefully you are redoing that link system, extremely unsafe and redneckish. setup a triangulated 4 link or a regular 4 link to give you lateral stability and remove the hard mount to the axle and install a shackle with a heim joint connecting the spring to the axle. other things to ponder are a bumpstop along the spring to control upward travel and stabilize body sway on side hills, and a pulley winch system above the axle to prevent the 1/4 elip from unloading on a downhill and tumbling you @$$ over tea kettle all the way down a hill. without that you are in for a real pucker factor on the downhill side of a trail. at least use a short limiting strap from the center diff to a frame crossmember. the winch setup is fairly cheap, $60 harbor freight 3k winch some cable and a pulley. also with that much of an angle on your steering you'll get a lot of unwanted bump steer, you should look into a high steer setup or just go hydraulic.

some ideas for setup...

this guy doesn't have the center strap but it's a fairly well done setup with tractor links on the rear of a suzuki, this will also give you an idea of how much flex you can achieve, especially if you put that in the rear also

March082.jpg

March083.jpg

eliptical2.jpg

March088.jpg

here's the thread if you want to find fordzuki and ask some questions on his suspension, when i talked to him he said he did it fairly cheap with tractor links.

http://www.nw-wheelers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24930

The front setup going back to stock. The way it is now is just plain scary. As it extends the entire axles shift to the right and then the oppisite happens on compression, not a big fan of how its done. I will be doing a 4 link system in the rear once I get it up and running but for now all stock to get her up and running . It is nice seeing pictures of how its supposed to be setup. I have some more sami questions if you have any knowledge about them?

The front setup going back to stock. The way it is now is just plain scary. As it extends the entire axles shift to the right and then the oppisite happens on compression, not a big fan of how its done. I will be doing a 4 link system in the rear once I get it up and running but for now all stock to get her up and running . It is nice seeing pictures of how its supposed to be setup. I have some more sami questions if you have any knowledge about them?

depends on what the questions are, i have a sami as my daily driver and know a bit.

depends on what the questions are, i have a sami as my daily driver and know a bit.

Ok, rear end assembly: The rearend that is in it was destroyed but came with all new parts just needed to be assembled. On the passenger side: After I got the axle out and inspecting the seal, I noticed a plastic ring. Looks kinda like a fender washer but has slotted holes around it and is located to the inside the axle housing just inside of the seal. Is it supposed to be there? Its in there loosely and can slide freely.

Ok, rear end assembly: The rearend that is in it was destroyed but came with all new parts just needed to be assembled. On the passenger side: After I got the axle out and inspecting the seal, I noticed a plastic ring. Looks kinda like a fender washer but has slotted holes around it and is located to the inside the axle housing just inside of the seal. Is it supposed to be there? Its in there loosely and can slide freely.

haven't done the backend yet, that's next month or november then i'll be tearing that apart to replace the wheel bearings and seals. i would guess so, but the manuals aren't worth a crap for these vehicles unless you have the factory service manual. i have a link on my home computer that has the microfiche for the samurai. send me a pm and i'll check it this weekend when i get home. presently stranded in everett till payday on friday to replace the suzuki starter... it randomly died, and tapping the solenoid quit working... and it already has the clicky starter fix... lame, towing a trailer otherwise i'd just push start it.