Ultimate Subaru Message Board

It just followed me home!

Oh I know they're not that heavy, out where we live it's easier to convince an engine crane to come visit me than one of my lazy butt friends!! LOL

Yep, planning on shovelling that beast under the hood of the Brat. I got the back story on the motor last night. Guy I bought it from got it from his buddy after his buddy put his sister's car backwards into a tree... 1994 Legacy...

She's nice and complete, even has the plugs and plug wires still installed... I've just gotta finish offloading my other projects so I can fund the rest of my build.

Well, once I'm done with it all I'd be more than happy to answer any questions!

I've got a buddy out in NY that I've gotta go visit some time. Maybe we'll make a long weekend of it and come do a swap in your Brat! :headbang:

That would be awesome!! I just really wish that I was closer to everybody else! There really aren't that many people out here that do this type of stuff so I'm kind of alone when it comes to any modifications and or improvements of this magnitude! Keep me updated on your progress and let me know of anything you run onto!:headbang:

I hear ya on that!

I know of 2 other guys around our area with the old Subies, both of them drive trucks so we hardly ever manage to get together to do stuff. I've got one of 2 2nd Gen Brats still on the road that I know of in our region and I've only seen 1 1st Gen.

Trying to find motors like this is a PITA out here too, they just don't pop up like they do in CO or up in the PNW

yeah I have the only brat in my area. I rarely see another one or two but I think they are just passing through. Its really hard to find parts and they stopped making a lot of them too so its hard but I love my brat and can't wait till someday I can take a trip out west and get one thats rust free!!!

Wow, Nice project! I havn't seen alot of people on the board do a EJ sawp in a Brat IIRC? Gonna be awesome thoe. To bad about that guys sister's Legacy, Backed into a tree?? :eek:

Hey, don't feel bad about not seeing any other Brats around your area Dave.. I don't seeANY older Subarus in lower east WI. I saw 2 other Loyale wagons and 1 sedan, But that was just a one time thing. All I see is 3rd gen Leggie/Outbacks and Foresters and alot of Imprezas, no GLs, Brats, etc.. Oh wait! I did see a 91-92' Justy 5 door a few weeks ago louder then hell Lol.

Still anyway, Nice project. Hipe you get some funds soon to finish it up, I wanna see that thing with a EJ in her!! :slobber:

Best of luck,

Tom

As it stands right now I could put it in for not a whole lot more money. I've got bigger plans than just installing it though so I'll have to wait a bit.

I believe S'ko is running an EJ18?? In his Brat. That's got a lift though, I'm not planning on lifting at all.:headbang:

Now if only I had an engine crane to get it out again :banana::headbang:

Are the beams, or rafters in your garage exposed? Or can you access them easily? If so, double up one of the trusses, the entire triangle shape with it's supports and trow a chain around it. Buy a chain hoist or even a come-a-long. I pulled an EA82, EJ22, and suspended a riding mower like that.

As it stands right now I could put it in for not a whole lot more money. I've got bigger plans than just installing it though so I'll have to wait a bit.

I believe S'ko is running an EJ18?? In his Brat. That's got a lift though, I'm not planning on lifting at all.:headbang:

Yeah thats right, S'ko has that Blue lifted Brat.. I forgot it has a EJ18.

Thanks for the reminder.. :)

yeah, wound up winching it out with a Come-along... I don't think I EVER want to do that again!! LOL... Time for at least a $50 chain hoist from Harbor Freight I think!

That's what I did! First the come a long, then a cheap chain hoist. I think if I were to be doing a lot of this, I'd mount an electric winch with block and tackle.