Ultimate Subaru Message Board

JDM engine yellow coating

Psyko

I've got a JDM engine that was coated with some sort of yellow stuff when it was shipped over. Carbs, intake, block, valve covers, bolts, pulleys, hoses... The whole thing was sprayed down and I'm having a nightmare of a time getting it off. I'm having to scrape it away with a screwdriver, but the screwdriver doesn't reach everywhere and I've left more than a few scratches on my 30k EA81 now. :(

Anybody know what the junk is and how else I can get rid of it?

I've been scrubbing the thing down with a toothbrush, green Scotch pad and brake clean. That's not doing much except take off the grease and dirt. Tomorrow I'll be giving gasoline a shot at it.

Here's what it looks like. I have a couple more pictures of it in my photobucket account, but the top picture is, by far, my best shot of it. As you can see, in the bottom picture, it's not really in any shape to be doing that heat producing explosion thing they like to do, so I can't really cook it off without getting it all together and putting it in. I'd do that, but I'd like to get it all clean before I limit my access.

Thanks.

P9140118.jpg

P9140123.jpg

(I didn't think I'd ever be able to say I have an engine in my bedroom...)

thats not cosmolene......

and your best bet is an engine degreaser by "gunk".it smells like oranges but will eat your face off if you let it.highly toxic really,but i bet it does the job.

do it outside,preferably away from grass, and water sources.

did you figure out anything on the dual's yet?cheers, brian

Well, I found something that worked. After reading the description on the stuff Brian suggested I remembered some paint/varnish/stuff remover I had that was supposed to be particularly potent. I'm not sure exactly what it's called, but the two biggest words on the front of the can are "Jasco" and "Bix." You wipe the paste on and watch the yellow bubble away.

I cleaned the intake and right heads. The right head looked a lot like the left does now and the intake was far worse than anything else. I think they both turned out all right.

Thank you, guys, for all of your replies and suggestions (and, Rob, for your wonderful insight :-p).

P9150125.jpg

Brian, in my thread about the carb flow rate, Tom mentions Webers that came on small Fiat engines. I haven't looked into them yet, but I plan on doing so eventually. For now I'm going to try and get the stock setup running. The stock carbs are, from what I can tell, basically the same as the Hitachis we got, in the U.S, but with small differences, such as no auto-choke. After figuring that out I felt better about the likelihood of actually getting mine back up to snuff, so I'm focusing on that route, as it is both cheaper and faster (hopefully :-\).

Oh, and by the way, I felt like I needed to shower just reading about the orange stuff. That stuff sounds like death in a can.

• 2 months later...

Well, you're not really going to like this update. Unfortunately I'm money, time, workspace and backup vehicle poor right now, so it's not going very fast at all. I still need to pickup a full EA81 reseal kit, water and oil pumps, two Hitachi carb rebuild kits, finish cleaning, finish rebuilding, put together, get (at least a temp) exhaust fabbed up, tune carbs and so on.

And sorry, but you're at least second in line for the engine. If I went crazy and sold it, you'd still have to hope hatchsub passed it up. :-p

This picture should give you a pretty good idea of what's up. :(

PC130084.jpg?t=1229221423

wow briggs it sitting in your closet when it could be sitting under my hood lol :-p Good luck getting it all back together and in the brat. If i do come out that way im hoping for i ride at the least.. spot behind the wheel flogging it at the most :)

Thanks man. I'm going to try and pick up the pace on it (as in, do something).

If you make it out this way, we'll start with a ride. That way you won't feel the need to hold back when you get behind the wheel. ;)