Ultimate Subaru Message Board

To weber or not

Im having trouble deciding to dump the $320 on a weber for my brat or not.

Its alot of cash... More than I paid for either of my subaru's. I could definately better spend the money somewhere else on the car.

It starts and runs well, a little rich at ldle but well.

The carb was rebuilt 2 years ago and still seems ok small signs of a leak at the accel pump but nothing wet.

I dont think Im interested in the FI swap its just too tough to find parts around here.

Maybe your opinions will help me decide.

-Sam

I webered my sedan and i would not go back. Ive had all three carbs, the carter-weber, hitachi, and weber and the weber is by far the best. Once you get it tuned it will run better than the hitachi. I didnt notice huge performance gains but a did notice a little bit more low end. The biggest change was the reliability. Starts up easier and can drive within a few seconds unless its extremely cold. I could never say that about either the hitachi or the carter-weber. Fuel injection is going to be better but more involved swap. The weber just simplifies everything. Can you tell i like my weber :)

also you might want to look into getting a used one off the board cheaper. They come up from time to time and you can save yourself a hundred or two.

Edited by hatchsub

too bad Carson is like 8+ hours away. There used to be a really good junk yard less than 3 mins from my house but they shut down, now they are all across town, and they are kinda rediculous with the pricing on some stuff. It may actually be cheaper to do the spfi swap....

Maybe Ill take the 40 min. trip over there on saturday, maybe I wont leave empty handed for once. That weber would definately be fun though.

I wonder how bad it will change mileage.

And if I ever have to do emissions..?

They have been on ebay for $320 shipped, best Ive seen for complete ready to bolt on kit. Every time I cheap out and buy a used somethin it takes forever to gather all parts. If I do go used it will need to have the carb, plate, filter and hardware

Im half way there, a few more thoughts away from "Buy it now"

Thanks

-Sam

As far as gas mileage goes you will get about the same as you do now if not a bit better...as long as your not romping on it from every stoplight.
I've gotten about 15% better mileage with the weber, mostly because for normal driving the secondary hardly ever opens. But when you need it the power is there. Only trouble I ever had with the weber is the fact that it can freeze up in cold weather (make sure you use that plastic shield in front to keep it nice and warm in the wintertime).

I know some one on here has made their own adaptor plate and used a different carb... I wonder what kinda luck they've had.

Been reading these posts on FI swap... If I can find all the parts from one car Saturday I may just dive right in.

Im just attached to the classic appeal of these ugly little cars of mine and the carb and goofy blue steel valve covers are all part of that "classic effect".

Maybe Ill keep an eye out for a used one 'round here. Any one seen a better price than $320.00 Shipped for a weber kit?

-Sam

The driveability of the SPFI has no equal in the carb world. Weber's are nicer than the stock Hitachi but the SPFI is so plentiful that you really can't go wrong either way. The SPFI will give you performance like a Weber, better fuel economy, and availibility of spart parts.

I highly reccomend either one, but the SPFI will give the greater return for your investment if you are concerned about money. It will likely be cheaper, take a bit longer to setup, but will return that time investment in improved driving and economy beyond what the Weber can do.

Obviously I suppose I'm a bit partial being that I wrote the conversion guide but I'm here to help if you decide to give it a try. My next one is going to be an "SPFI in a box" type conversion where all the electronics and electrical components will be in a water-tight box in the spare tire area.

GD

Well spent 4 hours at the J-yard yesterday. The only cars with FI were either too new or turbo... I tried so hard to get the disk breaks off of that turbo car but there were no tires and no way to stop the hub from spinning enough to break the axle nuts.

But I did get some perfect vents (which Ive never seen befor) seats for the wagon nice visors shift boot rearview mirror and some misc under the hood parts.

I dipped in to my weber fund a bit though.

Next time I go to AZ I may try a yard there for the FI.

-Sam

I did the Weber conversion on my ea81 Hatch. The Hitachi worked ok, but it was paltry in the power dept.

Frankly, I got my Weber brand new in a kit off Ebay, but you can also just get the adapter plate and source up a weber 32/36 dgev from another car. They came on all sorts of vehicles, mostly 80's cars and trucks.

Bear in mind that when buying used, you might have to do a rebuild.

But yeah, Weber was a quick easy install, make sure you read the article is the USRM, that's what I used to install my weber, and it went perfectly. Oh, and get the universal throttle cable mount kit for that weber carb. It's a pain to rig up your own throttle cable mount.

Well spent 4 hours at the J-yard yesterday. The only cars with FI were either too new or turbo... I tried so hard to get the disk breaks off of that turbo car but there were no tires and no way to stop the hub from spinning enough to break the axle nuts.

But I did get some perfect vents (which Ive never seen befor) seats for the wagon nice visors shift boot rearview mirror and some misc under the hood parts.

I dipped in to my weber fund a bit though.

Next time I go to AZ I may try a yard there for the FI.

-Sam

Hint for getting the rear nuts off: Harbor Freight sells a portable impact tool for $90 which usually gets them off (220 ft-lbs rating on the tool). A cheaper way is to bring a long crowbar and wrap it around the lugnut studs in a manner to keep the hub from turning while you use a breaker bar on the large nut. Also, bring a sledge hammer and lots of rust penetrant to get the backing plates off (that's the hardest part of the job).

I always go to the j-yard well prepped but I was not ready for that. The wheels were gone and the car was mounted on top of a stack of rims. Is that harbor freight unit any good? Im VERY selective on the stuff I buy there. Ive always wanted one of those but have been too scared.

-Sam

I know some one on here has made their own adaptor plate and used a different carb... I wonder what kinda luck they've had.

I made an adaptor plate to run a Ford 2bbl carb on my EA81, it works pretty well but the carb needs rebuilt. The throttle plates dont close on their own, I have to blip the throttle to get it to idle down every time I stop. Gets ok mileage for a rig running 31 inch tires. My Hatch has a Weber on it, gets 27 mpg with my heavy foot and has plenty of power to boot. The only problem I have with it is it diesels pretty bad sometimes, but It just needs to be tuned or re jetted. I will never go back to a stock craptachi carb, and FI just isnt my style. Ive heard great things about it, but Im stubborn and I love my carbs.

-Bill

I Weberized my White Wagon long Time Ago... it Runs Soo Great! ... I will not go Back to the Craptachi Carb, Never!

As GD Said, an SPFI Swap will be Good Too...

With the Weber, my Subie Engine`s Low End Increases, Torque Increases and HorsePower -Al Li`l Bit- it Runs Smooth yet Powerful, Like Never Before and we own that Subie Since New, Back in 1985... Never was Soo Great!

JesZeK-SubaruEA82AnimatedEngine.gif?t=1222304982

So I Suggest Go Weber!

Good Luck!

:burnout:

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
Yellow will be my New Colour if Board Remains Dark Grey! ;)